Author Topic: Scottish ancestors at Battle of Worcester 1651?  (Read 37675 times)

Offline derekseanbrown

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scotland:Aberdeen:BROWN,COUTTS,CULLEN,TAYLOR
England:Gloucestershire:CAMERY,SHAIL,PERRYMAN
England:Woolwich:Plumstead:BROWN,MARKHAM,QUADLING
England:Gloucestershire:Stroud:HOGG,GARDNER,WRIGHT
England:Worcestershire:BROWN,LANNI(e), BRIDGES
Ireland:Dublin:(O')CONNOR,MULLEN,KANE

Offline earlross66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish ancestors at Battle of Worcester 1651?
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 19:21 BST (UK) »
thanks for the info.  george ross does not show up there???????

Offline CDCrumb

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 11 December 12 05:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sean,
I'm still in the process of working this out, but I may also have had an ancestor in that battle. He was shipped over on the John and Sara. His name is John Croome. He's on several of the lists that you posted about the passenger list. In my genealogy book on Crumb History it lists various spellings as: Crump, Crumpt,Cramp, Crompe, Crombe, Crome, Crombie, Cromb, Cromp, Crump and Crumb. My genealogy book says it could be English, Irish, Scottish. The farthest back is a Richard le Crumpe of Shopshire, Salop County in 1273. If you ever run across any info on my line please let me know.
Crump, Crumpt, Crumppe, Cramp, Crompe, Crombe, Crome, Crombie, Cromb, Cromp, Crump, Crumb, Krum

Offline derekseanbrown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 29 April 13 17:02 BST (UK) »
Certainly will reply if we get some info....
cheers
Sean

Offline E_Ferguson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 26 June 15 16:47 BST (UK) »
I am an 11th generation descendant of one Robert Abernethie who fought there and was a bondsman  in colonial Virginia for 5 years. I am presently trying to verify a hear-say document regarding his parentage. According to that document, he was in the Tower of London but scheduled to depart for the colonies in November. We know he arrived in the spring, aged 19, then spent 5 years as an agricultural laborer. He apparently was unable to sign his own name in 1657.

Offline derekseanbrown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 27 June 15 00:32 BST (UK) »
Good luck and please keep us informed ......

Offline E_Ferguson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 27 June 15 15:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I (and others) have been researching this ancestor for decades. We know the date of his marriage, and that he died in Jan 1685, just prior to a Feb probate case. We know that he had at least one son and one daughter, purchased land and served on court cases in his lifetime. My current database on this surname (in it's many misspellings) has over 30,000 names on this subject. Alas, to date we have not been able to correctly document his alleged father, so in a sense, we're slightly stuck. I am now too old and too ill to personally go to England and dig in the PRO at Kew for the information we have from that 1975 document left for us by a (wannabee) genealogist relative, who utterly failed to properly cite her sources. So we must somehow do it all over again, or simply call it a dead-end brick wall.

Meanwhile, some of us can appreciate that our ancestor helped shape the legal system of the United States via his immediate acts after fulfilling his bond servitude a free man. He married and left a document legitimating his natural daughter born while he was a bondservant and unable to marry. He purchased land and became well thought of in the community. The document providing a dower for his daughter set a precedent that women in these future United States could own property in their own name and administer it without oversight of a husband or male relative, long before women in the UK gained that right.

Offline E_Ferguson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 00:16 BST (UK) »
I have a new question for you experts: how long did it take a sailing ship in the mid-1600's to travel direct from England to Jamestown Virginia? I have heard 6 weeks, but one bit of info I have is that my ancestor was due to leave in from England in November and an earlier researcher has stated that he was sold on the dock on 7 April 1652. Something doesn't add up to me. An indentured servant's sale date  in early April would correspond with a sailing date in mid-Feburary, would it not?

Offline clskehan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 27 August 15 00:10 BST (UK) »
I have a Daniel Robinson, that was captured by Cromwell's Army in 1651, at the Battle of Worcester. He was aboard the ship John and Sarah, and transported to Boston via Gravesend. He then was transported to Connecticut, as a servant to Nathaniel Foote, until  around 1663. I believe he came from Clan Donnachaidh in Blair Atholl, Perthshire, Scotland but do not have proof. All help would be appreciated.