Author Topic: Scottish ancestors at Battle of Worcester 1651?  (Read 37679 times)

Offline CaileanMac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish ancestors at Battle of Worcester 1651?
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 27 August 15 09:44 BST (UK) »
Call my sceptical but I am really amazed that so many people can confidently claim to have traced their Scottish ancestors back to the 1650s.
Gr-Gr-Gr Grandparents and relevant areas: MacDonald (Skye/Renfrewshire/Glasgow), Johnstone (Inverness/Ayr/Glasgow), MacPherson (Ross/Glasgow), Irvine (Ireland/Glasgow), Berrie (Dunkeld/Glasgow), Biggar (Paisley/Glasgow), Bradley (Ireland/Glasgow), McCorkindale (Argyll/Glasgow), Hardie (Ireland/Greenock), Scott (Greenock) , Kane (Ireland), Maguire (Ireland), McLarty (Argyll/Greenock), McLean (Argyll/Greenock), Petrie (Fife/Dundee/Greenock), Graham (Argyll/Greenock).

Offline E_Ferguson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 27 August 15 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Sceptical. When you had a great-aunt who kept telling you when a child that you descended from Scottish royalty and you'd better start acting like it, eventually you start looking into it seriously. I haven't yet gotten around to the Plantagenets however a rich cousin did. Right now I've got the issue of documenting that the said ancestor was a son of the then Laird of Barrie, who was in turn a grandson of the 6th Baron Saltoun. Before the bankrupt Laird's estate in Strath Ilsa got sold to one of the MacDuffs and a hot-headed youngster was involved in rebelling against the British crown.

Offline CaileanMac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 28 August 15 14:17 BST (UK) »
Pretty much everyone is descendent from royalty of some kind, it's not unusual.
Gr-Gr-Gr Grandparents and relevant areas: MacDonald (Skye/Renfrewshire/Glasgow), Johnstone (Inverness/Ayr/Glasgow), MacPherson (Ross/Glasgow), Irvine (Ireland/Glasgow), Berrie (Dunkeld/Glasgow), Biggar (Paisley/Glasgow), Bradley (Ireland/Glasgow), McCorkindale (Argyll/Glasgow), Hardie (Ireland/Greenock), Scott (Greenock) , Kane (Ireland), Maguire (Ireland), McLarty (Argyll/Greenock), McLean (Argyll/Greenock), Petrie (Fife/Dundee/Greenock), Graham (Argyll/Greenock).

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 28 August 15 14:26 BST (UK) »
No me ah hope!   ;D

Skoosh.

Offline E_Ferguson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 29 August 15 01:47 BST (UK) »
Maybe so, CaileanMac, but right now we need to document 'our' Robert's parents.  Only then can we trace this Abernethie cadet line back to Scots Royality. Until then, it's only hearsay as far as we are concerned. The English researcher we paid several hundred dollars to some years ago was a total scam in our opinion: lots of copies of stuff we already had discovered here but not one iota from the British sources we really need!

Offline derekseanbrown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 20 September 15 22:45 BST (UK) »
Just to remind everyone ... here's a link to our Battle of Worcester Society which you might find useful.

http://www.thebattleofworcestersociety.org.uk/

cheers
Sean
Scotland:Aberdeen:BROWN,COUTTS,CULLEN,TAYLOR
England:Gloucestershire:CAMERY,SHAIL,PERRYMAN
England:Woolwich:Plumstead:BROWN,MARKHAM,QUADLING
England:Gloucestershire:Stroud:HOGG,GARDNER,WRIGHT
England:Worcestershire:BROWN,LANNI(e), BRIDGES
Ireland:Dublin:(O')CONNOR,MULLEN,KANE

Offline Jack Hamilton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 14 April 17 10:59 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this thread is still active.  David Hamilton, my 8th grandfather, was captured at Worcester and sent on the John & Sarah to Boston, settling eventually in Rollingsford New Hampshire.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 14 April 17 11:10 BST (UK) »
Very interesting Jack, I used to work in Westburn which is on the south bank of the Clyde. The duke of Hamilton raised a troop of horse from his estates &  invaded England for Charles II, where he was killed. Your ancestor was probably one of them.

Skoosh.

Offline Jack Hamilton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 14 April 17 11:29 BST (UK) »
Skoosh, it's been very difficult learning of David's history prior to his arrival in America.  There's a highly detailed genealogy "The Hamiltons of Waterboro" that is 100% accurate from 1651 forward.  DNA testing has located a number of descendants in the states, but the Scottish ancestry in the book is not supported by the testing and online research has not turned up any reliable info.