Author Topic: Help With Reading.....COMPLETED  (Read 952 times)

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
Help With Reading.....COMPLETED
« on: Saturday 16 May 09 11:10 BST (UK) »
Would someone care to have a go at transcribing this page as we are having a hard time trying to read it.
It refers to the posessions of Mary Ann Moir or Cairney who died in Arbroath in 1899.
The page was downloaded from the 'Scotlands People' web site.

I live in hope.

Cheers.

Fergie.
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Help With Reading
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 May 09 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Fergie,

Here's my attempt!

..lowing Inventory of the Personal Estate of the late Mary Ann Moir or Cairney, was presented for registration in this Register conform to law by Henry Lorimer, Solicitor, Arbroath.  Inventory of the Personal or Moveable Estate and Effects, wherever inherited wheresoever situated of the late Mrs. Mary Ann Moir or Cairney residing at Lochlandsheart Street, Arbroath, who died at Arbroath on the 17th day of May 1899
I  Scotland
Household furniture and other effects in the deceaseds house, very old say      £5 - -
Sum assured over the life of deceased with the Prudential Assurance Company (Industrial Branch) Policy no. 627644 & 51205295   £24. 8 -     £29. 8 -
(Signed) John Cairney, James Duncan   At Arbroath the 15th day of June 1899 In presence of James Duncan, Depute Sheriff Clerk, Arbroath, Appeased John Cairney Painter, 25 Hayslane, Arbroath, who being certainly sworn and examined, Deponed: That the said Mary Ann Moir or Cairney died at Arbroath upon 17th May 1899 and had at the time of her death her ordinary or principal domicil in Scotland  That the Deponent is a son and one of the next of kin of the said deceased, or is desirous to enter upon the possession and management of the deceased's estate as Executor afore-said. That the Deponent does not know of any Testamentary settlement or writing relative to the disposal of the deceased's personal or moveable estate or effects, or any part thereof.  That the foregoing Inventory, signed by the Deponent and the said Depute Sheriff Clerk or relative hereto, is a full and complete Inventory of the personal or moveable estate and effects of the said deceased, whosesoever inheritedwheresoever situated, and belonging or due to him beneficially at the time of his death including moveable estate over which decesased exercised a  power of appointment, in so far as the Deponent has been able to ascertain the same.  That the gross value at death of the deceased of the moveable property in respect of which Estate Duty is payable on her death, does not exceed One hundred pounds sterling as particularly shown in the foregoing Inventory and in the statement hereto annexed.  That confirmation of the personal or moveable estate in Scotland is required in favour of the Deponent. All of which is truth as the Deponent shall answer to God  (signed) John Cairney  James Duncan  Collated by J Stewart?

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 May 09 12:22 BST (UK) »
My go too - will post as I just finished typing it  ;D  ;D  but very much same as Barbara has found - my one real difference is the phrase used twice, which I think is wheresoever situated???

-lowing Inventory of the Personal Estate of the late Mary Ann
Moir or Cairney, was presented for registration in this Register
conform to law by Henry Lorimer, Solicitor, Arbroath. Inventory
of the Personal or Moveable Estate and Effects wheresoever situated
of the late Mrs Mary Ann Moir or Cairney residing at Lochland Street
Arbroath, who died at Arbroath on the 17th day of May 1899
I Scotland
Household furniture and other effects in the deceaseds
house, very old say   - 5 [pounds]
Sum accrued over the life of deceased with the Prudential
Assurance Company (Industrial Branch/Policy No. 627644
& 51205298 - 24[pounds] [and] 8 [shillings]
[Total] 29 [pounds] [and] 8 [shillings]

(Signed) John Cairney, James Duncan
At Arbroath the 15th day of June 1899 In presence of James
Duncan, Depute Sheriff Clerk, Arbroath, Appeased John Cairney
Painter, 25 Hayslane, Arbroath, who being solemnly sworn and
examined, Deposes: that the said Mary Ann Moir or Cairney died at
Arbroath upon 17th May 1899 and had at the time of her
death her ordinary or principal domicil in Scotland. That the
Deponent is a son and one of the next of kin of the said deceased
that the Deponent has entered, or is desirous to enter, upon the
possession and management of the deceased's estate as Executor afore-
said.  That the Deponent does not know of any Testamentory settle-
ment or writing relative to the disposal of the deceased's personal
or moveable estate or effects, or any part thereof. That the foregoing
Inventory, signed by the Deponent and the said Depute Sheriff Clerk
or relative hereto, is a full and complete Inventory of the personal or
moveable estate and effects of the said deceased, wheresoever situated
and belonging or due to him beneficially at the time of her death
including moveable estate over which deceased exercised a power of
appointment, in so far as the deponent has been able to acertain
the same. That the gross value at death of the deceased of the
moveable property, in respect of which Estate Duty is payable
on her death, does not exceed One Hundred pounds sterling, as par
ticularly shown in the foregoing Inventory and in the Statement
hereto annexed. That confirmation of the personal or moveable
estate in Scotland is required in favour of the Deponent. All of
which is truth as the Deponent shall answer to God. (signed)
John Cairney, James Duncan
Collated by J Stewart s.cw
At Forfar the twentieth day of June Eighteen hundred and ninety nine years the following Inventory of ~
------------------------------------------------
20 June 1899
Inventory of the Personal Estate
of the late
Thomas Sim

Cheers
AMBLY

edit: Ahh now I get it , Barbara   ;D par-
ticularly shown
- have edited my version, now that I see the word you saw first!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 May 09 13:24 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Barbara and AMBLY. I hadn't expected a result so quickly.

I have inserted what was written at the bottom of the previous page as it gives sense and reason to the first word 'lowing' on the main page.

Once again....Thank you both.

Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 May 09 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Ambly, and Fergie,

I didn't write 'following' as the 'fol' wasn't there, but guessed that would be the first word.

I totally agree with 'wheresoever situated' makes much more sense, and Lochland Street, have edited my version
 :D

The bit at the bottom about Forfar though, relates to the next will, Thomas Sim's, not this one which was Arbroath

Barbara  :)

edit, oh yes, and solemnly, not certainly sworn!
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK