Author Topic: John Willis  (Read 21232 times)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: John Willis
« Reply #153 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 15:03 BST (UK) »

I just got in today the birth certificate for caroline elizabeth willis. Born 1849 october 13.   

In that case her name is Caroline Elizabeth OWENS..........Willis doesn't come into it,apart from being her mothers maiden name  ;D

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 20:30 BST (UK) »
Goodness, what a tangled web we have here!

This birth certainly matches the family info we have for the 1851 Census for the Owen(s) family we found, which in turn matches the info we have for what appears to be the same family in the 1861 Census, except that their name is now Willis. And we can match the birth of John Owen Willis to the address of the family in the 1861 Census. If these people are all the same family, and I think there is a very distinct possibility that they are (although how to prove it absolutely at this point is another problem), it appears that John is alive and well and that he changed his name to Willis.

I haven't been able to find a marriage for the a Caroline Willis and John Owen(s); it's always possible there was no marriage.

The marriage of John Willis to Caroline Heunnis may not be them? There is another John and Caroline Willis in the London area at about the same time, if I remember correctly. When I have some time later I will try to follow them around the censuses to see if I can find any clues to connect the Willis-Heunnis marriage to that couple.

Back later.

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline sifer

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 22:39 BST (UK) »
The only birth certificate I don't have now is Henry or harry Willis. The one I got in has different parents. So wrong one.

Sifer

Offline sifer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Thursday 29 April 10 02:54 BST (UK) »
anything i should do next to find henry or harry willis the one i got doesn't match up with the others, and that was from the posts. any ideas?

Thank alot
Sifer

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Friday 30 April 10 17:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Sifer

Below is a link to a website for you to explore. Parish records for Gloucestershire are transcribed here. It appears that Newnham baptisms 1813-1837 have been transribed as well as Newnham and Blakeney Tabernacle 1823-1837. Newnham is where Caroline states she is born on the censuses so her baptism should potentially be there. You now have 2 names to work with....Willis and Heuniss (with various spellings).

You need to register to view the actual records but it appears to be free to use. you want the section called "Forest of Dean Parish Records Project" which is about half way down the home page.

Can't get a direct link to work here so will type it in....

forest-of-dean.net

Let me know if you can find the page?

Polarbear

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: Friday 30 April 10 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Sifer

Have you looked at this entry on Free BMD

Sep Q 1854 WILLISS, Harry   St James  1a page 294

You will notice that FreeBMD has two entries with two numbers for this entry (also repeated on ancestry)  If you click on the images for each entry on FeeBMD you will see that the first image file is a typed one.  Harry's entry is the first on the page and the page number is unreadable.  However the second entry with the page 294 is the original handwritten page and the number is legible.

HTH
Heather

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Big Bus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: Monday 16 May 22 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I'm new to RootsChat and I know I'm a bit late to this party but can I just say how lovely and slightly strange it is to see so many of you chatting about people in my family tree.
Henry John Willis b 1855 and Matilda Beesley b 1856, m 1879 are my great great grandparents. I must say this whole Willis/Owen thing has given me food for thought  :)

Take care and happy searching everyone