Author Topic: Muckno Parish Records?  (Read 7612 times)

Offline AudBailey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Muckno Parish Records?
« on: Saturday 05 February 05 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Is there any way to check the Muckno parish baptisms around 1814-1818. This website says that they are in Local Custody for these years.
I am trying to obtain details of a George Stevens born in Castleblaney around 1816 (could be a couple of years either way) father Thomas.
Thanks
Audrey

Moderator's Note: this post split from another topic- this is the website mentioned:
http://ahd.exis.net/monaghan/
Hesson M/c,
Edwardson M/c & USA,
Danbury M/c & USA,
Cartledge Salford,
Gatley Stalybridge & USA,
Murphy Ireland & M/c
Binns Yorkshire & Lancashire

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Muckno Parish Records?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 22:43 BST (UK) »
Audrey,

If you're searching for Protestant churches in Muckno parish, the registers of St. Maeldoid's Church of Ireland in Castleblayney begin in 1810, and they are in local custody. You can write the current minister and ask about entries on your STEVENS family; there's a typed abstract of the register on CD in the church office which the secretary would check for you. Also you could ask a volunteer or paid-researcher to check those records for you on-site, where he or she might perhaps view the original register rather than the typed copy (which is liable to errors in transcription).

Presbyterian records of Muckno parish start in 1820 (Frankford) and 1832 (1st Castleblayney). Both are on microfilm at PRONI in Belfast.

Catholic registers of Muckno parish begin in 1835. I haven't checked their location since I've only looked up Protestant records in Muckno parish.

These church register dates are from Brian Mitchell's "A Guide to Irish Parish Registers," which is an excellent church record source book, even with a few errors here and there.

Good luck with your search,
Annie

Offline babswilliamson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 July 11 18:56 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if the minister for castleblayney would have BMD . My Grandad was john joseph harrison born 1898 - Tullyraghan/tullyrahan he was 1 of 13 to robert /margaret harrison just wondered if anybody has come across any Harrisons  :(m
mccormick -  co down , n ireland  newtownards road

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 July 11 21:05 BST (UK) »
You haven't said what religion your Harrisons were but ministers would have baptisms, marriages and perhaps burials (not all churches keep burial records) for their church.

If you are looking for civil birth, marriage and death records you can check the online civil registration index to get the details needed to order the certificates.
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1&countryId=1927084

Have you found the family in 1901 and 1911 census yet? If the family below are the correct one then they are Presbyterian and you'd need to know which church to contact/check in PRONI's microfilmed records-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Monaghan/Church_Hill/Tullyrahan/1630530
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Monaghan/Church_Hill/Tullyrahan/803552
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!