Author Topic: Andrew Kelly Welsh, Annie Fraser  (Read 4012 times)

Offline LizzyDow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew Kelly Welsh, Annie Fraser
« on: Sunday 17 May 09 08:59 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Looking for parents of Andrew Kelly Welsh. Born in Alva or Alloa. I am guessing that he was born between 1880 and 1888. I base this only on the year that his son was born. Not very scientific, or all that accurate. I did find an Andrew Welsh in the 1881 Scottish census. He was born in 1876. His parents are listed as John Welsh and Kate Welsh. The census location was Alva, Stirlingshire. The address given on the census is 120 Brook Street. I really have no way of knowing if this is the right family.

Andrew married Jessie Fraser. Jessie I think was born in Alva, in about 1885. I found family with the parents names of James Fraser and Helen. They had 6 children born between the years of 1869 to 1885.

Jessie Fraser and Andrew Kelly Welsh had one child that I know of. He was Andrew Kelly Welsh, born about 1913 and died in 1995. He married Annie McGuckin who was born in 1918 and died in 2006. Annie McGuckin was the daughter of James McGuckin and Annie McGrellis.

Thank you for any ideas or suggestions in how to find out more about these families.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Kelly Welsh, Annie Fraser
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 May 09 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

The Scotlands People site show Andrew and Jessie marrying  in 1904 in Alva, Clackmannanshire. If you obtained this certificate, it would show their parents names and  approx ages at marriage. From this you would be able to trace them back through the censuses more accurately.

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

It's pay per view but very reasonably - the cert would cost you £1.20 (6 credits)

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 May 09 09:40 BST (UK) »
Also, there is an entry for the death of an Andrew Kelly Welsh, aged 42 in Alva, in 1914 giving a birth year of 1872.

The IGI (extracted) has the birth of an Andrew Kelly Welsh 22 October 1874, Alva, Stirlingshire. Parents -  John Welsh and Catherine Nicholson.

I think you need to obtain either his marriage or death cert to confirm that this is him. The marriage cert would be best as this would give you Jessie's parents as well and information on a death cert is always second/third hand.

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline LizzyDow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 May 09 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hi  Gadget,
Thank you very much! This is great news. I will look into Scotland's people.
Appreciate your help.
Regards, Liz