Author Topic: Researching in Ireland  (Read 7379 times)

Offline Wychwd4

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Researching in Ireland
« on: Monday 18 May 09 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am new to Roots Chat and quite new to genealogy, but it's already grabbed me  :)! My great grandfather, Timothy Edward Mannix,was born in Ireland about 1846.
He was married in London in 1876. How do I research his birth and possible death in Ireland (He left my great grandmother in about 1891-1892). I have no knowledge of counties etc. By the way his profession was a cordwainer or shoe/boot maker to us.
I would appreciate any help that you can give me
Regards
Wychwd4

Offline Purpeller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Researching in Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 May 09 10:22 BST (UK) »
Welcome!

Civil registration had not begun in 1846 (started for births in 1864) so the only way to find his birth would be to know what parish he was born in and check their records in the National Library.  So it sounds like finding his birth is a dead end (pardon the pun) for now.

For his death, if he did die in Ireland: have a look at the LDS family search site:

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#c=1408347;p=collectionDetails;t=searchable

From a cursory look, there are several Timothy Mannixs in the Cork/Kerry area.  You can narrow the search to just deaths.  I see one there, born 1849 died 1915 in Waterford which may be possible.

If you decide to order a cert, you need to download the form from the www.groireland.com website and send it to them by fax or post with your credit card details or a Euro cheque. 

I presume you have checked all the censuses for England for him?  That might give a location in Ireland as birth.

Best of luck,
Purpeller
Dublin, Limerick, Carlow, Waterford, Wicklow, Pembrokeshire

Offline Wychwd4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 May 09 10:44 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for your help, Perpeller. It was from the 1891 census that I found out that he was born in Ireland and no area was given. Can you tell me if a death cert. gives the wifes name and or children?
Regards
Wychwd4

Offline Purpeller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 May 09 10:46 BST (UK) »
It doesn't as standard but the person who registered the death is often a wife or child.
Dublin, Limerick, Carlow, Waterford, Wicklow, Pembrokeshire

Offline Wychwd4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 May 09 10:52 BST (UK) »
Unfortunatley in this case his wife and eight children were left in London, but thanks anyway.

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 May 09 22:09 BST (UK) »
Deaths.
Persons required to register deaths were.
1 some person present at death; or
2 some person in attendance during the last illness of the deceased;or
3 the occupier of the house  where death took place;or
4 someone else residing in the house where death took place;or
5 any person present at,or having knowledge of the circumstances of,the death.
The information they were required to supply was;
1 date and place of death;
2 the name and surname of the deceased;
3 sex of deceased;
4 the condition of the deceased as to marriage;
5 the age of the deceased at last birthday;
6 the rank,profession,or occupation of deceased
7 the certified cause of death,and the duration of the final illness.
The informant and the register were both required to sign each entry,which was also to include the date of registeration,the residence of the informant and his or her qualification ;example present at death;Notice of the death was to be given to the register within seven days and full details within fourteen days.

Offline Wychwd4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 May 09 04:44 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for your help. I think it will be a long research.
I now have his marriage cert. that names his father as Dennis Mannix also a cordwainer but only gives Timothy's age as "full age". Maybe it would be easier to look for Birth records. I believe that if he was returning to Ireland it would probably be to the county of his birth.
Thats only supposition of course.
Thanks again
Wychwd4

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 May 09 10:04 BST (UK) »
Maybe it would be easier to look for Birth records. I believe that if he was returning to Ireland it would probably be to the county of his birth.
As has already been explained, to find church records of a baptism, etc. you need to know at least the parish where the family lived.
Civil registration had not begun in 1846 (started for births in 1864) so the only way to find his birth would be to know what parish he was born in and check their records in the National Library.  So it sounds like finding his birth is a dead end (pardon the pun) for now.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 May 09 11:27 BST (UK) »
I'd say it's worth ordering that 1915 death cert that Purpeller mentioned... none of the estimated year of births for the other Timothy Mannix deaths are even close.

You could be lucky and find some known family member listed as informant, but it will also include age and occupation which could help establish a connection... if there is one.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests