Author Topic: Researching in Ireland  (Read 7389 times)

Offline Wychwd4

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Researching in Ireland
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 07:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi gryalln1969.
It was good to see Timothy listed in the 1901 census and the link from 'agho' looks very promising.
His daughter Florence was my grandmother and the story was that he left the house to see a client and never returned. Granny Flo was supposed to have been very young when that happened - but she couldn't have been that young!
Poor Flo - she married in 1912, had a child in 1913, another in 1914, her husband Thomas Joseph Barrett enlisted in Feb. 1915 and was killed in the Balkans on 7th December 1915. Life wasn't easy for her.
For which of Timothy's children is your research?
 :)

Offline gryalln1969

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello Wychwd4
 Was hoping you would respond. My partner ( Sarah Jayne Mannix ) is the Great Grandaughter of John Guy Mannix Born Approx 1883, older brother to Florence. John Guy Married Sarah Jane Stanley and had 6 Children. He continued his fathers trade of cordwainers. Many of his 6 children also had large families leading to an extensive Mannix Family Tree of 40 plus decendants of Guy Mannix (as he is sometimes recorded). Some of whom as recently as last year still resided in the west London fulham area. I am in the process of posting what i have discovered so far on the ancestry family tree maker but have many hours of research still to do as i have only begun this recently and  i am a Genealogy Novice. I have ordered Lydia A Mannix ( Timothys Wife ) Death Cert in the hope it will help continue the research back further and help solve the mystery of timothy's dissapearence . I believe Maud Mannix ( Florence's older Sister ) Died Age 4 shortly after the 1891 census  thus explaining her absence from the 1901 census. Your Grandmother Flo would have been still a baby then and at first thought this might of had something to do with his vanishing act but the 1901 census ( 10 years later ) clearly lists him still at home aged 55. I am currently looking into the rest of your grandmother's brothers and sisters for clues. Wondering if he may of gone back to ireland. Hopefully we'll crack this together.

Offline gryalln1969

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 18:15 GMT (UK) »
As far as i know this is the last few know facts About Timothy Mannix.

1890 Birth of daughter Florence.
1891 Census listed current residence at 42 church path fulham with his family.
Later 1891 Death of Daughter Maud
1892 Birth of son Albert ( His final child )
1901 Census still listed at 42 church path fulham. He was 55 years old. His eldest daughter ( Lydia Mary Mannix ) and 2 Eldest sons ( Dennis and Thomas ) no longer living with parents. ????????

Florence would have been 11 years old by then and then he vanishes.

Offline Wychwd4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 04 March 10 00:01 GMT (UK) »
G'day gryalln1969
I have their marriage certificate ( Timothy and Lydia) and would be quite happy to send you a copy. I am compiling our family tree on Ancestor.com. and would be happy to invite you as a guest if you contact me via ancestry. you will find the link on http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/13006042/person/-141162033?ssrc=
If you contact me on that site, and forward your email address, I will send a copy of their marriage cert.
I remember Granny Flo very well. When my father (her first born) and my mother married they lived very close to gran - who had remarried. Because of the early death of his father, my father was brought up by one of Flo's sisters. :)

Offline Wychwd4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 04 March 10 00:34 GMT (UK) »
I have just had a look at the irish site http://www.irish-roots.ie/ and they require €5.00 per look. That equates to about 10 aussie dollars - too rich for a pensioner ( :-\), but I will have a look at the other site when i have a bit more time.

Offline gryalln1969

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 18 March 10 11:28 GMT (UK) »
More news on the mysterious dissapperence of Timothy Mannix. Just recieved his wifes death cert. Lydia Ann Mannix ( formerly jones ) died 18th November 1931. Cause myocardial degreneration. For the non medical of us thats just a gradual weakening of the heart muscle often resulting in failure but at the grand old age of 80 i think we would just call it natural causes. She is still listed as the WIDOW of timothy mannnix at the time of her death and it was registered by one of her daughter in laws who was present when she died. I may be wrong but this may narrow the search. i'm thinking he may of died in the uk between 1901 and 1931 and it may be misscopied into the ancestry records. address at time of her death 18 lintaine grove ( no furthe info )

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 18 March 10 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Wouldn't narrow down Timothy's date of death just going by the death certificate. According to your first post he left her in 1890s so would she really have know if Timothy was actually dead or did she just call herself a widow all for many years- and daughter-in-law who registered the death was perhaps just going by the 'fact' that Lydia was a 'widow.'
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Wychwd4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 19 March 10 01:05 GMT (UK) »
Wouldn't narrow down Timothy's date of death just going by the death certificate. According to your first post he left her in 1890s so would she really have know if Timothy was actually dead or did she just call herself a widow all for many years- and daughter-in-law who registered the death was perhaps just going by the 'fact' that Lydia was a 'widow.'

We have since found Timothy and Lydia in the 1901 census so have revised his "disappearance" to after that date.

Offline Wychwd4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 19 March 10 01:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks gryalln1969 for the info on Lydia's death. We will just have to keep checking. He will appear somewhere.
aghadowey is quite correct, many abandoned women referred to themselves as 'widows' even into the 20th century