Author Topic: Chesterfield maternity hospital/home  (Read 27150 times)

Offline Bangladore

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chesterfield maternity hospital/home
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 10 November 11 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Fairfield Nursing Home was about halfway up on the left hand side of Fairfield Road, going up from Saltergate to Hawkesley Avenue, towards Newbold.
The building is still there. Home maybe closed in sixties?

Offline Baggycat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 10 November 11 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Bangla, I wouldn't have known because the last time I was there I was going home for the first time! I'll have a look when I'm up there later in the month.

Offline steppi

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 10 November 11 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to disappoint you both but the nursing home is no more.  It was demolished in the 1980's and a small development of new houses was built on the site.  I have spoken to a lady who lives in the new house that is built on the exact spot where she was born in the 1940's in Fairfield (as was I, as a matter of fact).  It was run then by Doctors Duthie and Mcfarland.  Dr Duthie lived in the house opposite on the righthand side going up Fairfield Road, and held his clinic in the outbuilding you can still see up the top of the drive.
I have tried to find out more about the home, but it seems to be shrouded in mystery, you can speak to Chesterfielders about it and most people had someone who had been in there, but no local autority know anything about it. There are certainly no records available anywhere. Strange?

Offline Baggycat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 10 November 11 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Ah, I thought that I'd read that earlier, but when I looked back another poster said that it was now the builder's offices. Presumably that's not the case then.

Offline Bangladore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 10 November 11 16:46 GMT (UK) »
I bow to more local knowledge!  Certainly, new houses were built some years ago but I thought that they were in the LOWER GARDEN of the house and that the house was still standing.

Offline steppi

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 10 November 11 16:57 GMT (UK) »
I telephoned the last house belonging to the solicitors on the left just after the new ones and spoke to their receptionist, she said that she had been in Fairfield herself and that it had been next door, the home closed in the late 1950 early 1960's and stood empty for 10 - 15 years before being bought by builders.
I too am sorry I didn't look for it earlier.  I think it's too late to hope anyone has a phot now.  I did consider contacting the Derbyshire Times to see if they would run an article on it.

Offline AnnH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 11 November 11 21:56 GMT (UK) »
What a great idea Steppi to contact the Derbyshire Times. Surely they would print something or maybe they even have a photo from way back.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 07 August 15 22:10 BST (UK) »
I had cause to search for the Fairfield today.  It appears to be this place if you read the blurb. http://search.issl.co.uk/detailsLite.aspx?Reference=12-7442AJT&chainid=1041
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline piscesPISCES2015

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 10 October 15 20:23 BST (UK) »
hi there, I'm just after some information about the Fair Field nursing home around the 1950s as I recently discovered my father was born there.
 Is it true there was an adoptions unit also as it took 3 weeks for my father to be registered and wondered why. ?
My grandparents weren't living together at the time and my grandad was allready married.
Also theres some foreign blood somewhere but my fathers siblings aren't foreign.
Was it a private hospital cant find much about it at all