Author Topic: Chesterfield maternity hospital/home  (Read 27087 times)

Offline Chrissy27

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chesterfield maternity hospital/home
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 August 10 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hi, I was born at Fairfield Nursing Home in Fairfield Road in August 1952. I remember my mother talking about a Dr. Horrocks who was there at the time, they used to call him "Flannelfeet" because they could never hear his footsteps in the corridors.
I know the place was still open in 1961, because my cousin was born there at the end of December that year. If anyone has any photos, I would really appreciate seeing them   :)

Offline steppi

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 August 10 17:09 BST (UK) »
It's great to know other people were born there, it is so difficult to find out anything about the place, Iwas beginning to think it didn't exist.  There are no records of it anywhere,the Council have no info on it.  It was run in 1948 by a Dr A M Duthie, and his parrtner Dr G G McFarland. I believe it closed in the late 60's or early 70's and was left empty for a long time.  It was pulled down in the early 80's and a lot of new houses built on the site.  The builders offices are in the house that was next door.  Dr Duthie ran his clinics from the house directly opposite the nursing home, up the yard to the side in a white single story buiding that is still there today.    I was born there in 1948 and adopted immediately (I think it was an adoption unit too) and my adopted mum and grandma both had operations done there in 1948 and 1948

Offline scrapiness

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 May 11 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi, I was born at Fairfield Nursing Home in Fairfield Road in August 1952. I remember my mother talking about a Dr. Horrocks who was there at the time, they used to call him "Flannelfeet" because they could never hear his footsteps in the corridors.
I know the place was still open in 1961, because my cousin was born there at the end of December that year. If anyone has any photos, I would really appreciate seeing them   :)

Offline scrapiness

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 May 11 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I gave birth to a baby girl at Fairfield Nursing Home on the 17th December 1961. I was 16 years old and she was taken from me the moment I gave birth so I never saw her face or held her in my arms. I would love to speak with anyone who worked there or lived in the area during that period. Lynne (my baby) was adopted and I was given no choice in the matter by my parents. Having been told I should get on with my life and forget it ever happend.

Offline steppi

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 May 11 20:47 BST (UK) »
I was born in Fairfirld in 1948 and adopted immediately.  I recently traced my birth mother, but sadly she does not want contact. There was a lot of secrecy at that place, it is very difficult to find out anything about it at all.

Offline scrapiness

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 08:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your reply. I am so sorry your birth mother did not wish to meet you, perhaps she is still filled with the "shame" which was heaped upon us during those days and is frightened to admit what happened to the family she has now. If Lynne were to contact me I would be over joyed. I have been blessed with two more lovely daughters and a very understanding husband but, it is only now that I have been able to talk  freely about it without feeling the dreadful embarrassment and shame which my parents felt I had brought upon them.

Offline Chrissy27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 June 11 18:53 BST (UK) »
One thing I remember being told about Fairfield, is that it was private, (you had to pay, even after 1947 when the NHS came into being) Also, not that this will be much help, was that my aunt was a nurse there. Her name was Jennie Louisa Longmore, but she passed a few years ago.

Offline scrapiness

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 June 11 19:08 BST (UK) »
Gosh I wish I had thought about contacting this site earlier, I bet your Aunt was probaly still nursing there when I was in. or perhaps she could have told me more about it. Thanks anyway

Offline Baggycat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 10 November 11 12:40 GMT (UK) »
I know it's been a while since this thread had any activity, but as I was googling for some info on FNH and came across this site I thought I'd give you a little input.
I was born there in December 1955, my sister was born there a few years earlier.
I was in Chesterfield last week and thought I'd show my wife the place where I made my entrance into this world, so I drove down Saltergate and found Fairfield Road but alas, no FNH. Not totally unsurprising but a little disappointing nonetheless.
My stay there was longer than normal in that I was there for two weeks, but don't know what the complication was but that was where I spent my first Christmas... my sister hated me from day one for taking her Mum away at Christmas!  ::)
All is well now though.  ;D