Author Topic: Frank Francis Swift Kirby born circa 1876  (Read 5574 times)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frank Francis Swift Kirby born circa 1876
« on: Tuesday 19 May 09 00:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have just found another relative involved in warfare.  I found him on the 1901 census RG 13  569  134  44 Woolwich  London.  23 Middlesex Regiment
District Royal Artillery Barracks, Green Hill Schools, Repository, Gun Park and Observatory.

His name is Frank (Francis?) Swift Kirby born 1876 in Brentford Middlesex and it is said he died in 1916 of wounds received in the Boer War.  I have found his death 5 Nov 1916 2c 597.  I find it hard to believe this as on the 1911 census his occupation is given as Waterman.

Can anyone help me sort out this Great Uncle?  any suggestions much appreciated,
Cheers,
Abiam

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Frank Francis Swift Kirby born circa 1876
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 01:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

I find it hard to believe this as on the 1911 census his occupation is given as Waterman.

The war was 1914-1918 so his occupation in 1911 would have no bearing on his war record

His name is not on the CWGC website so do you have a copy of his death cert showing the cause of death?  I note he died in Maidenhead aged 40

The WWI medal roll has a number of Frank/Francis Kirby entries but the only Francis S Kirby was serving with the Northumberland Fusiliers
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hi CaroleW,
Quote:
"His name is Frank (Francis?) Swift Kirby born 1876 in Brentford Middlesex and it is said he died in 1916 of wounds received in the Boer War "

Thank you for replying but it was the Boer War that he was supposed to have received his injuries and died of in 1916 aged 40.  This is family hearsay and I would like to try and prove or disprove this.

I don't have the death certificate but would consider getting it if I canot find anything else,

Thank you,
Abiam

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Abriam

If you can get to Kew you could see if his service record survives in WO97 in the section for men discharged 1900 to 1913. These are in alphabetical order.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militaryhistory/army/step4.htm

Unfortunately dozens of irregular mounted infantry units were created, in UK, South Africa and the colonials, once it was known that infantry could not chase men mounted on horseback. Most only lasted for the duration of the war. Men could enlist for 12 months at a time. Men rejected at home, would often travel to SA and enlist there, as the pay was so good. And you need his regiment to access these.

If you could find someone with a copy of this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Boer-War-Casualty-Roll-1899-1902/dp/0957709706 -  you again do not need to know his regiment. Casualties included those wounded as well as killed. If no one on this site has a copy I would try the British Medal Forum.

Ken

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Ken,

Thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately I am in Spain so Kew is not an option.  It would be great if someone here has access to the Casualty Roll, fingers crossed!
I remember seeing something on another forum where someone looked up casualties so I shall have a hunt around.

And I shall try the British Medal Forum,
Thanks again,
Abiam

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 11:56 BST (UK) »
I have just read your first post properly, and seen the reference to the Royal Atillery. I have a Boer War medal roll for them somewhere. Regarding his papers, if they survive, they will be in WO97. If you cannot get to Kew, Findmypast are putting these online, due 2011.

I will edit my previous post.

Ken

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 13:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ken it would be great if you can find th medal roll otherwise it looks like waiting for FindMyPast!
Abiam

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 15:50 BST (UK) »
He is not listed that I could see. If you do that post on British Medal Forum, and get his battery I will find out his medal entitlement.

Ken

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken,
Thanks for looking.  No replies so far from the BMIndex.  Maybe it was just hearsay?
Cheers,
Abiam