Author Topic: Isaac NOWLAN  (Read 4378 times)

Offline Lynnee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isaac NOWLAN
« on: Wednesday 20 May 09 04:13 BST (UK) »
I am wondering if you can help with any  information about my great 3x grandfather Isaac NOWLAN. Birth about 1819

I have found his arrival records into Australia.

Arrived Sydney Australia,18th Sept 1840 on the Isabella,  aged 21, native of Co Carlow, Ireland. Departed Plymouth 27 Jun 1840. Along with 305 Bounty emigrants, agricultural workers and laborers.
Parents of Isaac are Thomas NOWLAN, (a  stone cutter) and Mary (unknown)

The records do not state where in Co Carlow. He was Roman Catholic.

Thank you
Lynnee

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac NOWLAN
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 12:34 BST (UK) »
I would suggest also considering the spelling Nolan, which would be the more common version of the name in Ireland. Both spelling variants were common in the south east of the county in the 1840 and 50s.

Full Civil registration started here in Ireland in 1864 so the only way to find out more details is by using parish records. Without knowing an exact location or parish this will be very difficult (would involve searching 14 parish microfilms at the National Library).

Some parish record transcripts are available on-line (e.g. IFHF) but none for Co. Carlow at the moment.

It might be worth browsing though Slater's Commercial directory of 1846 for any sign of Thomas. This directory lists some trades people and officials etc. see : http://www.failteromhat.com/slater.htm It includes plenty of Nolans and Nowlans in Carlow and surrounding counties.

There's a couple of Nolan/Nowlan (including 9 Thomas Nowlan) entries on the Co. Carlow section of Griffiths Valuation that could be connected - see http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv_family_search_form.php

Griffiths was a taxation survey and lists details of the building and land plus the head of household. These records date from 1852.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Lynnee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac NOWLAN
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane, Thanks for the help, I will check out your suggestions later today.
Love
Lynnee