Author Topic: Marshall & Sons Gainsborough  (Read 14157 times)

Offline linclinks

• RootsChat Member
  • Jacky Clark (nee Jacqueline Allen)
    • View Profile
Marshall & Sons Gainsborough
« on: Wednesday 20 May 09 22:11 BST (UK) »
I have been looking at the Marshall family that established Marshall and Sons at Gainsborough - mainly to assist a young man of 14 to uncover his family history .

Looking at the various Census reports is like a snapshop of the Industrial Revolution. The Company was started in 1848 by Millwright William Marshall. The 1861 Census was the first to report numbers employed  21 men and ten boys at that time. After Williams death, sons James and Henry Dickinson Marshall ran the company and in 1871 521 men and 83 boys were employed and in 1881 - 1137 men and 137 boys. My great grat uncle was one of them.

Does anyone know if a history of the company was written? and or have any additional information to that set out below

Many thanks

Jacky

2.  William3 Marshall (John2, John1) was born 1812 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England, and died Oct-1870 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.  He married Frances.  She was born 1812 in Congleton, Cheshire, England, and died Bet. 1851 - 1861.

Children of William Marshall and Frances are:
+   3   i.   James4 Marshall, born 1836 in Staleybridge, Cheshire, England; died Aft. 1911.
+   4   ii.   Henry Dickinson Marshall, born 1840 in Manchester, Lancashire, England.

Generation No. 3

3.  James4 Marshall (William3, John2, John1) was born 1836 in Staleybridge, Cheshire, England, and died Aft. 1911.  He married Fanny.  She was born 1846 in Woolwich, Kent, England, and died Bet. 1891 - 1901.

Children of James Marshall and Fanny are:
   5   i.   Lillian Edith5 Marshall, born 1864 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.  She married William Samuel Parish 1886 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England; born 1860.
+   6   ii.   Herbert John Marshall, born 1865 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.
   7   iii.   Florence Marshall, born 1867 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.  She married Theodor Petersen 1891 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.
   8   iv.   Fanny Maud Marshall, born 1869 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.  She married Charles Dudfield Willis 1895 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England; born 1867.
   9   v.   Edith Constance Marshall, born 1870 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.  She married Arthur Edward Hutchings or John Whelpdon 1893 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.
   10   vi.   May Marshall, born 1873 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.
   11   vii.   James Hugh Marshall, born 1875 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.
   12   viii.   Winifred Marshall, born 1880 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.

4.  Henry Dickinson4 Marshall (William3, John2, John1) was born 1840 in Manchester, Lancashire, England.  He married Mary Ann Woolvine 1862 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England, daughter of John Woolvine and Sarah Herring.  She was born 1842 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.

Children of Henry Marshall and Mary Woolvine are:
   13   i.   Emily  Marshall, born 1865 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.
+   14   ii.   William Ernest Marshall, born 1866 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.
   15   iii.   Henry John Marshall, born 1867 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.
   16   iv.   Kate M Marshall, born 1868 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.
+   17   v.   Percy James Marshall, born 1870 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.
   18   vi.   Mary H Marshall, born 1872 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.
+   19   vii.   Herman Dickinson Marshall, born 1873 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.
   20   viii.   Ada Eleanor Marshall, born 1876 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.
   21   ix.   Ethel B Marshall, born 1880 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.
   22   x.   Mabel A Marshall, born 1883 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.

Generation No. 4

6.  Herbert John Marshall (James4, William3, John2, John1) was born 1865 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.  He married Violet Emmeline 1897.  She was born 1875 in Beckenham, Kent, England.

Child of Herbert Marshall and Violet Emmeline is:
   23   i.   Iris Cynthia6 Marshall, born 1897 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.

14.  William Ernest Marshall (Henry Dickinson4, William3, John2, John1) was born 1866 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.

Children of William Ernest Marshall are:
   24   i.   Henry Dickinson6 Marshall, born 1889 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.
   25   ii.   Cedric Marshall, born 1890 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.

17.  Percy James Marshall (Henry Dickinson4, William3, John2, John1) was born 1870 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.  He married Amy Thirza.  She was born 1873 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.

Children of Percy Marshall and Amy Thirza are:
   26   i.   Mary W6 Marshall, born 1895 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.
   27   ii.   Percy F E Marshall, born 1898 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.

19.  Herman Dickinson Marshall (Henry Dickinson4, William3, John2, John1) was born 1873 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.  He married Lucy Ann 1904.  She was born 1872 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.

Children of Herman Marshall and Lucy Ann are:
   28   i.   Norman Dickinson Marshall, born 1905 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.
   29   ii.   Mary Ada Marshall, born 1908 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.
   30   iii.   Henry Dickinson Marshall, born 1910 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.

My Maternal line are all from Lincolnshire - First Generations include:
Arliss, Armstrong, Baker, Borman, Cartwright, Clark, Dixon, Duckering, Everington, Forman, Freshney, Gadsby, Graves, Hatcliffe, Holmes, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Lacey, Leverton, Lilley, Morton, Oades, Pacey, Priestley, Rickett, Riggall, Rowson, Shaw, Sleaford, Sleight, Smith, Spikin, Taylor, Thacker, Ticklepenny, Tomkins, Tyler, Walton, Ward, Willson, Wood and Wortley.

Offline noseyoap

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marshall & Sons Gainsborough
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 22:21 BST (UK) »
I presume you know that the site of the Marshall's site has been made into a shopping area called Marshall's Yard, and that the Wilkinson shop still retains all the old brickwork and photographs of what it looked like inside in its heyday. It would be worth asking if they have any history of the building, also I think there is a council office on the site they may have some information.It's great how it has been brought back to life.
Chapman - Antrim/Liverpool
Harde - Swansea
Lewis - Glamorgan
Eley - Lincolnshire
Guntrip - Acton

Offline linclinks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 22:27 BST (UK) »
Yes, I saw that when I was googling.

I am going up to Lincolnshire (from Wiltshire) to see my mum (and of course visit the Archives). I did not know about the Wilkinson Shop so will divert and take a look

Many thanks

Jacky
Arliss, Armstrong, Baker, Borman, Cartwright, Clark, Dixon, Duckering, Everington, Forman, Freshney, Gadsby, Graves, Hatcliffe, Holmes, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Lacey, Leverton, Lilley, Morton, Oades, Pacey, Priestley, Rickett, Riggall, Rowson, Shaw, Sleaford, Sleight, Smith, Spikin, Taylor, Thacker, Ticklepenny, Tomkins, Tyler, Walton, Ward, Willson, Wood and Wortley.

Offline noseyoap

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 22:40 BST (UK) »
Its certainly worth a visit to see how it has be brought back, it is not a massive shopping area but we often have a ride out from Scunthorpe. A friend of our, who now lives in Rugby, used to work there so he made a detour on his last visit and was very impressed.
Harde - Swansea
Lewis - Glamorgan
Eley - Lincolnshire
Guntrip - Acton

Offline linclinks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 22:44 BST (UK) »
I love it when old buildings are brought back to life - my grandson lives in a flat in a converted old Mill in Bradford and in nearby Swindon we have an Outlet Centre in the Old Railway Works.

J

Offline noseyoap

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 22:54 BST (UK) »
Just to let you know it is open all week including Sundays, and if you like old buildings there is a wonderful 14th century Medieval Manor house a few streets away which is also worth a visit.
Harde - Swansea
Lewis - Glamorgan
Eley - Lincolnshire
Guntrip - Acton

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 May 09 08:23 BST (UK) »
I'm sure this website would be able to tell you what books exist http://www.gainsboroughheritage.com/html/gift_guide.html
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline linclinks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 May 09 12:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Geoff - its so unusual for a youngster to be interested in their genealogy that I want to help him on his way - now I'm fascinated too

Jacky

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 May 09 21:55 BST (UK) »
I'm sure this website would be able to tell you what books exist http://www.gainsboroughheritage.com/html/gift_guide.html

The company is responsible for a few books about Marshalls and the town in general and actively participate in the Flickr group dedicated to the town both past and present.

Just today several images in and around the Marshalls yard and factory sites have been added and the discussion pages are a real gem for local history and trivia. I'm hooked and spent several hourst there again today.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/gainsborough/

I commented on a Marshalls image today saying how little many of the younger Gainsborough residents really know about the firm and what impact it had on the town (and the world). Also worth looking at is the Gainsborough trivia and timeline threads in the discussion section of the group.