Author Topic: Emily Haines BECKWITH - Birth SA  (Read 4539 times)

Offline luxmalc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Emily Haines BECKWITH - Birth SA
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 19 August 10 11:31 BST (UK) »
Wow ! Having only fallible & incomplete trees of the two sons of Robert Wm Beckwith who emigrated to Australia late 1850's, this corres is of fantastic help ! Couple of points though ....

- There were three Robert William Beckwiths (Father, son & grandson) born in 19th cent London so on the website www.luxsoft.demon.co.uk/beckwith they have been suffixed I, II and III for clarity. RW (I)  b 1788 d 1876 is the relevant one here - ref 7.48 in /beckwith/tree-1 notes.html - and c1818 he married Ann (Anne) HAINES (sometimes HAINS) .... NOT Harris .... hence the use of Haines as a middle name for Emily and poss also an Emma.

- RW(I) and Anne had 5 children who survived infancy before her death in childbirth in central London in 1833:

-- RW(II) who stayed in UK (and married a French girl. no comment).

-- Thomas bc 1822. Disappears after 1841 so he too emigrated ??

-- Ann - as only girl she acted as housekeeper to father and sundry other rels & never married

-- James 1828-1872 married Ann(e) Carew Rodman & emigrated c1850 (my Tree No 9). All their children were born in Australia, the 4th of whom I have as Emma Haines Beckwith b 1860 & married one Henry Edwards.

-- Joseph (1830-1902) = Elizabeth Maria Morris (c1830-1908) - thanks 'cando' for their death dates & locations !  I'll have to compare my list of offspring (Tree 8) with the one posted here of the births in Australia. The couple also had a son before leaving England - Joseph Thomas Beckwith (1854-1930) and he went with them. I have him down as marrying a Frances Emma Bennet (1874 - 1953) in Australia but if as suspected  they had just one daughter, Bertha, that male Beckwith line died out.

Any more info very gratefully received !!

Best wishes

LuxMalc, Cornwall, UK

--

Offline Jane Trotman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 00:37 BST (UK) »
Thomas Lightfoot Beckwith, b 1826, son of Robert William Beckwith b 1788, died in London in 1846.

Emma Haines Beckwith b 1860 in Adelaide  d/o James Beckwith m Thomas George Blackwell in 1881 and d 1929

Emily Haines Beckwith b 1864 in Adelaide  d/o Joseph Thomas Beckwith m. Henry Edwards in 1881 and d 1910 in Brisbane and had 8 children:  Arthur Henry, Alfred Ernest, Edith Emily, Henry Lionel, Olive Harriet, Elsie Gladys, Eloise Myrtle and Muriel Ivy

Offline Jane Trotman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 00:43 BST (UK) »
Emily Haines Beckwith was b 1864 in Adelaide. d/o Joseph Thomas and Elizabeth Maria Beckwith. She m Henry Davey Edwards in 1881 - had 8 children and d 1910 in Brisbane.  Joseph Thomas d in Geraldton, Western Australia and Elizabeth Maria d in Day Dawn, Western Australia and is buried in Geraldton.

Emma Haines Beckwith b 1860 in Adelaide d/o James Beckwith m 1881 Thomas George Blackwell and d 1929