Author Topic: Need help to decipher old handwriting in will  (Read 5585 times)

Offline sanmiles84

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Need help to decipher old handwriting in will
« on: Friday 22 May 09 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

I need some help in deciphering a will, However, when i post it on the forum to ask for help, the copyright team remove my thread because the wll is copyright to the national archives.

Would anyone be kind enough to send me a personal message to help me with deciphering the old handwriting in my will?

Regards,
Sandra

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Need help to decipher old handwriting in will
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 May 09 10:16 BST (UK) »
If you post only part of the will at a time, you should get round the copyright issue, I think.   Can you cut and paste the first few sentences to give people an idea of the handwriting or just paste the tricky bit if you can manage to work out most of it?
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline MKG

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Warts and all, they're all mine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 May 09 12:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Sanmiles

I was wondering what happened to that. Thomas Mendus of St Davids, Pembrokeshire, I presume. I did manage to download all three pages before it disappeared, then thought I must have been dreaming. However, I've still got them, so I'll take another look later today.

Mike
Griffiths, Howard, Johnson, McLeod, Rizz(a)(i)(o)
Berwick (Tweedmouth and Spittal), Blyth(N'land) between the wars, Wrexham, Tattersett

Offline MKG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 May 09 14:23 BST (UK) »
Here's page 1 ...

I Thomas Mendus of the village and parish of St Dayvids in the county of Pembroke (Southwales?) being of sound and disposing mind memory and understanding praised be God for the same do make ordain publish and declare this to be my last Will and Testament in manner and form following that is to say I will direct that my funeral expenses be in the first place paid and satisfied by my Executrix hereinafter named     I give and devise all that my new dwelling house and garden which I now inhabit situate in (**1**) in the said village and parish of Saint Dayvids in the county of Pembroke aforesaid unto my beloved wife Mary Mendus for and during such time as she shall remain my widow and from and after her death or intermarriage I give and  devise the said dwelling house and garden to my Grandson Thomas Mendus base child of my Son Thomas Mendus and to the heirs of his body lawfully to be begotten and for want of such issue I give and devise the same to my Son Thomas Mendus his heirs and assigns for ever     I also give and devise all that my Messuages Dwelling Houses Lands Tenements and Hereditaments whatsoever and wheresoever situate to Evan Griffiths of (**3**) in the parish of Llangoedmore in the county of Cardigan and John Davis (just a blur here, and a marginal note to say that the original was blurred) the town of  Cardigan Merchants their heirs and assigns to and for the uses interests and purposes and subject to the proviso or power hereinafter mentioned that is to say to the use interest and purpose that my said wife Mary Mendus and my said grandson Thomas Mendus may and shall during their lives and the life of the survivor of them have tenure and take thereout a clear yearly rent or annual sum of fifteen pounds

END OF PAGE 1

The bits I'm having trouble with are marked (**X**), and I'll post images of those in a while.

Mike
Berwick (Tweedmouth and Spittal), Blyth(N'land) between the wars, Wrexham, Tattersett

Offline MKG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 May 09 15:08 BST (UK) »
OK - the difficult bits ...

Edit: Just spotted that the first word of item 2 is "Lands".

And Item 4 is "Llangoedmore".

Thanks to Graham for the rest of Item 2 - tenements and hereditaments.

Anyone fancy "tenure" for Item 5? (OK - tenure it is).

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 May 09 15:28 BST (UK) »
1 first word appears to be a place name

2. Lands tenements and hereditaments (a legal term for property)

4 Llangoodmore - not quite but a Welsh place name.

5. Inverted v indicates an omission  . to arrive?  not sure.

One needs the whole document to compare the handwriting of individual letters.   I expect someone can do better.

Warwicks: Whitehead, Allcock, Atkins, Bayley, Beacham, Bilson, Brooks, Cleaver,Farmer,Gilks, Lucas, Kendall, Oliver, Pickard, Shilton, Underhill.
Lincs: Kendall, Clark, Morley,Vincent, Withers, Barlow,Dawson.
Leics. Vincent
Notts: Bardill, Bugg, Morley, Winfield
Dublin: Brooks, Flood.

Offline MKG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 May 09 15:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Graham - the insertion is the previous word "have". I should have deleted the mark  :-[
Sanmiles tried the whole document, but it keeps being taken off for copyright reasons.

OK - let's try page 2 only and see what happens ...

Mike

Moderator comment: image removed.  Please do not post complete pages of copyright documents.  Thanks

Offline MKG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 May 09 20:13 BST (UK) »
… of lawful money of Great Britain to be issuing and payable out of the same Messuages Lands Tenements and Hereditaments by two equal half-yearly payments on or at the days or times and manner hereinafter mentioned that is to say the sum of fifteen pounds unto my said wife Mary Mendus until my said grandson Thomas Mendus marries or departs from my said wife Mary Mendus to live then the sum of seven pounds and ten shillings unto my said wife Mary Mendus and the sum of seven pounds and ten shillings unto my said grandson Thomas Mendus to be paid on the twenty fifth day of March and the twenty ninth day of September in every year without any deduction or abatement out of the same or any part thereof for or by reason of any Parliamentary or other taxes rates or compositions whatsoever the first half yearly payment of the said yearly …

Enough for one day!

Mike

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 May 09 21:48 BST (UK) »
OK - the difficult bits ...

Edit: Just spotted that the first word of item 2 is "Lands".

And Item 4 is "Llangoedmore".

Thanks to Graham for the rest of Item 2 - tenements and hereditaments.

Anyone fancy "tenure" for Item 5?

Yes, I agree 5 looks like "tenure" and would fit.
I had failed to notice that Llangoedmore had already been transcribed.
The shorter place name or name of the property (almost looks like paisley but could hardly be) needs checking with a Place Names of Wales if there is such a book as in the Place Names of England.
Warwicks: Whitehead, Allcock, Atkins, Bayley, Beacham, Bilson, Brooks, Cleaver,Farmer,Gilks, Lucas, Kendall, Oliver, Pickard, Shilton, Underhill.
Lincs: Kendall, Clark, Morley,Vincent, Withers, Barlow,Dawson.
Leics. Vincent
Notts: Bardill, Bugg, Morley, Winfield
Dublin: Brooks, Flood.