Author Topic: Reuben/ Rodney Smith  (Read 8633 times)

Offline Shainiebath

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Reuben/ Rodney Smith
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 January 18 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Willie smith had these sisters: carroline they called her currie or poppy
Gorgina she drowned herself
Linda
Julie
Petty i think her name was really patricia
Amy who married Johnny Davis
Albert but they called him gilbert and gilly
Danny
Maurice
Willie who was my dads granfer
Ernie they might have called him edward
These were all guildroys and evie smiths children they might have had more, these are the ones we can think of Guildroy was a coppersmith who sharpened knifes and they was all from Gloucester way.
I would love to see the photos thanks.

Offline vince smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Yes Shainie

That’s Willems family. He was the last to live with old Guilroy in Leonard Stanley where he’s buried. I know the descendants of Curry’s family and I’ve heard about the woman who drowned. Private message me and I’ll send you the pictures. If you go on Eric trudgill’s gypsy genealogy website all our breed are on there under the heading Merryk Lock.

Offline Shainiebath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Oh yes and how do i private message you for the photos? And have you got anymore information about the family i would love to find more about them thankyou.

Offline LambFran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Shainie and Vince
I have just been reading your messages. Gildroy & Eve are my great, great grandparents. Their son William (Willem) was married to Martha. I have not yet found any absolute evidence that Martha was the daughter of Natty & Annie but Eric Trudgill's latest book about the Lock Family does suggest that she is.
William & Martha had a son Willie who is named with them on the 1911 Census at Trowbridge in Wiltshire along with his sister who is my grandmother.  She is named on the Census as Louisa but her name was in fact Emily Louisa. The other siblings named on the 1911 Census are Georgina, Julia, Tilly, Colena (aka Lena or Corrie), Amy and Elizabeth. The others were born later but they were Ernie, Linda, Israel (aka Danny), Gilbert, Charity Patricia (aka Patty) and Maurice. Corrie & her husband Butcher had a daughter named Poppy.
Do either of you have trees on Ancestry? I have a picture of Emily-Louisa on my tree.
Vince, hope you don't mind me asking but I would love to see any photos you may have too.
Does your dad remember Emily Louisa?
Shainie, my dad told me that Willie was married to an Ena - was Rosina's name perhaps shortened to Ena? and that they had a daughter Eileen.
Hope some of this information helps.
best wishes
Lambfran.
Lamb Travelled Surrey, Berkshire, Hampshire & Middlesex areas finally settling 1950s Hampshire/Berkshire boarder.
Smith Travelled Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Somerset, Surrey & Hampshire.

Offline Shainiebath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Yes they is the ones me great granfer willie and great granny rosena they is me dads granny and granfer and his mum was eileen she married me granfer hubert bath and she had a sister kathleen but we called her cathy she died 2013 i think shes berried with me granny rosena up yately church and no i havent got ancestory do i have to pay for it to see it on there. Whats your dads name so i can tell me dad when he gets back because that must be his uncle. Me dad also said about me granny rosena said they had their paintings took im trying to find them enol have you heard about that? Any information about them or their familys i would love to know thankyou.

Offline LambFran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 01 February 18 02:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shainie
yes, Ancestry is a subscription based website so it is a pay to use one.
I didn't know about the paintings that were done, I hope you are able to track them down to see them. My dad would have been a cousin to your grandmother Eileen.
I have very few old photographs of my grandparents. I guess they just didn't have many pictures taken in the past.
Best wishes, lambfran

Lamb Travelled Surrey, Berkshire, Hampshire & Middlesex areas finally settling 1950s Hampshire/Berkshire boarder.

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 26 April 19 10:41 BST (UK) »
I have today published a book on the Romany Smith family.

https://www.richedmunds.co.uk/early-gypsy-families-3

I did quite a bit of research on Reuben Smith, there are several pages covering him and his life as a preacher in England and New Zealand, and various photographs, some with his brother Gilderoy and Gilderoy's family. It also contains several full page colour prints of the paintings Dame Laura Knight later made of Gilderoy's family members at Mansion Lane in Iver, in the 1930s, which her estate were kind enough to license for use in the book.
Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline LambFran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 26 April 19 11:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this update on your book Richard.  I will order a copy and look forward to reading it & seeing the photos of Gildroy's family.

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 26 April 19 12:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lambfran, hope it is helpful for your family research.
Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London