Author Topic: Link: Top tips for Ordering Certificates for NI counties  (Read 27040 times)

Offline IRISHHOPPY1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ordering Certificates for NI counties
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 21:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all this information it has been very valued infor.  I need 3 certificates one for Irene Carson b 1900 and the marriage certificate for William John Carson m  Wilhelmina Bain/e who married in 1897 at Shankill Presbyterian Church.

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 November 09 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Someone has PMed me asking about using the pilot site information on the online ordering service at GRONI's website as the forms contained no field for this information. 

I checked with GRONI directly and they advised that the online service has been subcontracted and that, as "the subcontractors have no facility to confirm these details", they could NOT accept them for online orders.  [I don't understand this, but it's the explanation I was given ???]

They did confirm that the index details could be used to order a cert by telephone or by post as these orders are still dealt with by GRONI staff themselves.

They also said that official policy was NOT to allow the 50% discount on certificates ordered using the pre 1922 index information (i.e. that provided by the pilot site) :'(.  If you go to GRONI in person to do an index search, the post 1922 index references provide additional information which precisely identifies an individual certificate (incl. Enrty No. & subdistrict), whereas the old Volume/page reference is much less specific and involves further searches by GRONI staff (for example, one registration district (as identified on the pilot site) will contain a number of subdistricts, each with their own books).

While I have always found the staff there very helpful and accommodating, I suspect the huge increase in genealogical enquiries following the launch of the pilot site has resulted in a higher authority enforcing the letter of the law on discounts (still worth asking though if you phone in an order ;))

Offline mishapee2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 July 10 12:07 BST (UK) »
 I cant believe this site ! Thank you so much, I am off to order my certificate now.

Karen

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 September 10 11:50 BST (UK) »
Check out this useful tip from Begclonrode on another thread:-

"Might (or might not) be of interest....but by using LDS Form 31768 you could order a photocopy from the LDS in Salt Lake City of (in this case) Volume 16, Page 827 of the 1868 Newtown Limavaddy civil register.

US$2.00 per photocopy including postage worldwide.
There is a minimum charge of US$4.00 so if you're only interested in the one entry it will cost US$4.00  But if you're interested in several entries (up to eight) it works out a lot cheaper than the GRONI.

I've used this service from New Zealand to order several Irish civil birth and death photocopies and it's delivered every time. Turnaround time is 4-6 weeks.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/rg/research/type/Form.asp

or google "lds 31768 pdf"

Scroll down to 31768 and click on the "pdf" link. Print out the form, fill in the details you got from LDS Pilot and post it off.

You will need to supply debit/credit card details. If, like me, you're concerned about giving out unsecured card details (which is the right attitude to have) I use a Visa Debit card and keep just enough money in it to cover the purchase.

Regards
Beg"

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 July 11 19:46 BST (UK) »
I got my 1849 Northern Ireland marriage record from the Irish GRO in the Republic of Ireland. I wanted to get hold of the original marriage entry that I had previously obtained in transcription form. GRO Ireland provided me with a photocopy of the marriage entry for only 4 Euro that is £3.61 in GB currency. It only took a week or so in the post to the UK.

You need to print out the application form and provide the specific details of the event to get the search discount. I would recommend the photocopy format as it's cheaper and you just get the original image. The Irish GRO have records for all events for the whole of Ireland in the 19th Century:-

http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm

C

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 12:26 BST (UK) »
The Irish GRO have records for all events for the whole of Ireland in the 19th Century:-

C

as stated in my original post... :)

Pre 1921 certificates for all parts of Ireland are also available from the Republic of Ireland GRO in Co Roscommon.  They offer a cut price “research certificate” which is uncertified and is an actual photocopy of the original registration entry.  This costs €6 plus postage  (or €4 plus postage with the full reference from the LDS site) and can only be paid for in cash or by sending you credit card details in the post, which many people consider to be a security risk.  Also the service can take around 4 weeks.  GROI also provide a public search room in Lower Abbey Street, Dublin, but the indexes are quite antiquated and it’s a good idea to do your searching on the LDS site prior to visiting.

Offline stethomson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 16 July 12 01:18 BST (UK) »
This is a great thread, thanks for all the helpful info.

GRONI are now trying to charge £14 for their online ordering service.  This is really greedy... for only £1 more I can go off to New Register House in Edinburgh and get a whole day's searching...

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 16 July 12 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hopefully we will soon have the same service as Scotland as the GRONI are seeking tenders to run an online service on the same basis as ScotlandsPeople from no later than the end of 2013.

A full days search at GRONI in Belfast also costs just £14 and any certificates ordered on the day are half price - but still expensive enough!

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Link: Top tips for Ordering Certificates for NI counties
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 12:15 BST (UK) »
New system up and running for some time now at:
https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/

Searches are free  while you have any credits on your account and search results give the exact date of an event as well as district and reference. £2 worth of credits gives you an onscreen view of the original certificate.

So far the system online only covers "historical events" i.e births over 100 years ago and marriages 75 years ago and deaths 50 years ago, but full access to all events is available in the GRONI seach room in Belfast.