Author Topic: Please help? RANSOM Thomas 1820: MCNALLY Catharine; AMOS T: STIEGLITZ  (Read 58803 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Please help? RANSOM Thomas 1820: MCNALLY Catharine; AMOS T: STIEGLITZ
« Reply #369 on: Sunday 11 October 09 13:13 BST (UK) »
Been through the papers as JM suggested - only seems to be one Amos around. We have the information which matters - but it doesn't give us any more help.
Wiggy

Adam Amos, Swan Port Police Constable...  Australian Bio online could he have been there earlier than Mar 1821 when he settled with his brother in that district.... you know, selecting his land, perhaps.... and several years later, he confronted the bushrangers ... 

I understand his grave is in Tasmania .... and that the AMOS family is still in that district....  - this I gleaned from a google search this evening....

I can definitely see MORE THAN ONE chap with surname Amos....  sorry that it didn't give you "any more help"... try the papers again, both the PJ and the VDL ones.. I am sure that Swan Port was VDL

Bye....  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline davclem

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: Sunday 11 October 09 13:52 BST (UK) »
JM,
You seem upset that  Catharine  McCann  has not been explored. What suggests to you that she is a possible- what are we missing in your information- she was christened in Paramatta in 1805,so on basis of aad, photographs and family tradition that she was born c 1789, she would have been 16. OK, why not. So when did she arrive  in Hobart between 1805 and 1819 and not appear in any Musters as McCann?Any Catharine/Catherine/Cathrina/Christina is a potential suspect, and many have been raised and eliminated. Why do you especially feel drawn to this one? Youmay be right, so we can't let her slip away without checking, just like Mrs McAnley!
David
Juler- NWNorfolk , Thomas/Alice ,pre 1800,
Clement-Durham, Eng,pre 1800
Holroyd, Staffordshire, pre 1750
Amelia Wyatt/Cole/Booth,  born Surrey ,abt 1821
John Wentworth who married Sarah Holmes, Carshalton,pre 1785
John Frith married Ann, Yorkshire/pre 1770, Settrington?
Alice Miles married Holkham Norfolk to Juler about 1745
Thomas Sanders , Buckland 1700s
Richard Adams , tailor , Lambeth ,about 1780-1830
Earliest reference to Break O'Day Plains, Eastern Tasmania, before 1820

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: Sunday 11 October 09 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hi there,  :)
Strange word "upset", so no, I am not upset.... I just think that a person christened at Parramatta in 1805, and with given name Catharine, spelling it with "A", and family name McC and with mother's name being same as name of a VDL land grantee in 1809 would be of interest.... and a transcript of either that christening or the marriage of Mary Fitzgerald to Peter McCann may progress the search for Catharine...  We have already established that in that penal era that women often retained their nee surnames...   I am not a great one for collecting bdm documents without exhausting other avenues first, but in this instance, for less than $20 it is possible that some of the questions that form the initial posting on this very very very long thread may be answered...   It is only my opinion, and I have no "hidden" knowledge of any of the many names that have been canvassed throughout this thread...  It could well be that Catharine McCann is another of the lasses that were considered but set aside for they are not found on the VDL musters... ...  I read in various Sydney Gazette cuttings of Macquarie's frustrations with the lack of accuracy about those musters...  And also Commissioner Bigge's comments too...  It may well be that the 1805 christening for that particular Catharine Mc lass was for a child say under 1 year, but it could just as well be for an adult woman... Perhaps the transcript will provide that clue...  ::) and a pdf file sent by email seems to me to be a better solution than snail mail...  :D
I enjoy family history research, and particularly the ease of the 21st C researching via RChat and the many indexes available online, BUT  I value the days when I can spend time with original records, or at least with digitised images of those records... for it is there that the "detail" can come to the forefront.... 
I do not know of how I can contribute further on this thread, for it seems to me to be a mammoth task just going back to see if anyone has already considered a particular clue .... however, tis Just Moi Opinion,  ;D
Hence I again add Good Searchings to you all.  Cheers, JM ;)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline regross

• RIP 16th November 2012
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • paper doll fashionista
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: Monday 12 October 09 00:01 BST (UK) »
Wow,

I go away for 3 days and come back to more fascinating research.

Wiggy, I am sure that all ideas and finds are helpful and your later synopsis is a great help. Perhaps adding any relevent later material to this would be useful and may be a list persons eliminated and why might be useful too.

If all else fails a new thread started withthe two synopsis and linked to this thread could be another way to go. We have uncovered too much to stop and I feel that somewhere in the dark dusty confines of our archives in either NSW or Tassie a clue leading to the sloution of this puzzle will eventually be found!!!

So frustrating that it is so hard to have the time and access to physically check all the ORIGINAL documents as microfilming and transcribing of originals may have seen some pieces of paper etc "missed"

great work all

Robyn
The following families and their Australian decendents:
Abbott, Barnard, Clarke, Inward, Lanfear, Rutter,Spencer:Middlesex
Greenaway:Cornwall
Edney, Godwin/Goodwin, Gullett:Hampshire;
Gullett:Devon
Emms:39th Regiment of Foot 1810-1832
Gordon:Scotland
Arnold, Morton:Ireland
Davies:Wales
Olcorn:Cumberland
Osborne:Staffordshire
Harrington:Kent
&
Gross: Tullau Wurtmemburg Germany

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: Monday 12 October 09 02:06 BST (UK) »
Bit more, 

Just spotted  two pages digitised images online commercial subscription site .... recalling somewhere on this thread there's mention of this chap, John McNally BUT please read on.... possible sighting of RANSOM on that voyage...  I could well be wrong, ....

On 4 Oct  1817, a crew member named MCNALLY, (John  ???) was discharged from the vessel "Macquarie" somewhere in VDL ..

The vessel was "colonial brig of Governor Macquarie" on round trip (s  ???) from PJ to the Derwent and Port Dalyrmple... returning  to Sydney 7 Jan 1818 or thereabouts...

At line 7 of crew list John McNally details "birth NW" (perhaps North Wales  ???)... 

BUT wait .... there's also a list - passengers...  I cannot read it clearly, but seems to be
at line 10 Mr (could also read Mrs) RANSOM (or Ransoe)  Bengallee  was from the (cannot read that next word, name of a ship) & NSW discharged from the Elizabeth Henrietta (name of ship) by D Smith 29 Dec 1817....

Second page seems to be list of convicts on same voyage...

GOOD LUCK, 

JM

Offline regross

• RIP 16th November 2012
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • paper doll fashionista
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: Monday 12 October 09 02:48 BST (UK) »
Two questions araise from this:

Was this Catharine Christina as Ransom's partner or was it his first wife?

Surely she would not have been listed as Mrs Ransom if her husband McNally was on board???

so as the cheshire cat said curiouser and curiouser.

Robyn
The following families and their Australian decendents:
Abbott, Barnard, Clarke, Inward, Lanfear, Rutter,Spencer:Middlesex
Greenaway:Cornwall
Edney, Godwin/Goodwin, Gullett:Hampshire;
Gullett:Devon
Emms:39th Regiment of Foot 1810-1832
Gordon:Scotland
Arnold, Morton:Ireland
Davies:Wales
Olcorn:Cumberland
Osborne:Staffordshire
Harrington:Kent
&
Gross: Tullau Wurtmemburg Germany

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: Monday 12 October 09 04:48 BST (UK) »
To all who have been helping on this topic - I am going to lock it and start a new thread so we can find things more easily - please join in on the new thread if you have things to add to the research.

I'll call the new one Catharine Christina McNally.   Kris says link it - not sure how to do this but . . .

Wiggy

Edit to show new link:    Searching for origins of: MCNALLY, Catharine Christiana
« on: Today at 16:09:47 »

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,412225.0.html
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.