Author Topic: John McNicol m Ann Leitch 1854  (Read 38160 times)

Offline giuliana

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John McNicol m Ann Leitch 1854
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 June 09 14:49 BST (UK) »
My Mum was a McNicol - daughter of Donald, who was a son of John and Ann.

I have very little info on this side of the family. However, I have seen the letter you refer to, and my Bendigo cousins have a copy of the marriage certificate which they transcribed for me.

I did manage to send you a PM including my email address, as that seems to be better at handling attachments.

Are you connected to the McNicol family too?

Giuliana
Phillips; Mitchell; Retallick; Moore; Sheridan; Sheppard; Louden; McNicol; Leitch; Newton; Newell; McClure; Sheridan; Loffel; Chaplin

Offline annioc2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 June 09 15:19 BST (UK) »
Ok, sent you an email

Cheers

Anne

Offline walter12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 August 10 13:17 BST (UK) »
I was interested to read this discussion as I have just recently discovered my father was actually a McNicol and had been adopted out at a very young age. His original Birth certificate indicates that his Grandfather was a William Donald McNicol and that his Great Grandfather was Findley Mcnicol.

Offline giuliana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 August 10 13:47 BST (UK) »
Welcome to the family!

John and Ann McNicol's son Finley (and wife Annie) had 6 children, their 4th being a son William Donald (1895-1951).

William Donald McNicol (and wife Sarah) had 8 children that I know of:

Annie Theresa (1908-1979)
Edith Jean (1911-1985)
unknown (1913-?) 
Jessie Collard (1915-1976)
Finley Thomas (1917-1967)
Raymond Douglas (1919-1929)
Donald William (1921-1976)
Alexander James (1926-1984)

Where does your grandfather fit into the scheme of things?

Giuliana

Phillips; Mitchell; Retallick; Moore; Sheridan; Sheppard; Louden; McNicol; Leitch; Newton; Newell; McClure; Sheridan; Loffel; Chaplin

Offline walter12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 August 10 13:06 BST (UK) »
Well my fathers mother was Edith Jean McNicol (Purss) who gave him and his older half sister up for adoption soon after they were born in the early 1930's. As far as I know the rest of her family did not know that she had had two children.

The third child of William Donald and Sarah is Dulcie however I do not know her details of birth or death.

Cheers

David

Offline walter12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 August 10 13:12 BST (UK) »
It also says on Sarah Mcnicol's (Collard) death certificate that she had 8 kids but not a raymond douglas Mcnicol, only a John Henry McNicol who came after Donald William.

Offline giuliana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 08 August 10 13:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this info. I'll have to work out how you are I are related!

I think I got the info re children's names from Vic BDM records, so usually birth records are more reliable than death records (grieving family can get things wrong and leave people out), but I'll check it out again at some stage.

Is there any info I can help you with?

Giuliana

Offline walter12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 08 August 10 13:29 BST (UK) »
I have only recently got all this info from the victorian department of family services. My father passed away last year and we have always wanted to look into his history so I only applied for his adoption records in the last 3-4 months. We then got a hit with his older half sister who is now 80 years old, and who had been in contact with Jack (John Henry) McNicol and Dulcie McNicol who were the remaining members of the family still around.

She managed to get some photos and a few details of her and my fathers mother from them before they passed away. She also managed to find out about her father who had died in a car accident.

Unfortunately I have hit a dead end in finding out who my fathers dad was as there are no records on any of the birth certificates. I don't even know where she was working around the time dad would have been conceived..

I guess any information about the mcnicols ancestry would be great for curiosity sake.

Cheers,

David

Offline giuliana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 08 August 10 14:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this. I've sent you a PM (personal message) with my email address so we can communicate with more detail. G