Author Topic: in search of mc millans zimbabwe  (Read 7781 times)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: in search of mc millans zimbabwe
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 October 16 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Bruce

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

Please take a moment to read our guidelines for posting here

http://www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php

I also noticed that gaithers emails aren't working (see avatar) so won't get a notification that you have posted.

Maybe gaffy knows how to get intouch by other means.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline gaithers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 October 16 18:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Bruce! Great to connect after all these years! Welcome back into the family circle :) ... We've all been out of touch since Aunt Lizzie died in 1985. She was a character your Grandmother, but I'm sure you remember her! She had her opinions and no one could change her! Anyhow, I'm just coming to the end of a holiday in Newcastle tomorrow so I will get back to you Friday or Saturday for sure and fill you in with who I am! ( my late Mother , Kathleen McGaffin Hewitt was your Dads cousin, Colin who also replied and who brought my attention to the post is a son of William McGaffin, my Mothers brother. Anyhow, till later, best to you and yours! Cousin Paul! ( In Ireland)

Offline gaithers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 October 16 18:33 BST (UK) »
By the way Bruce, you have really made my day! I can't quite believe it yet :)
We were in Cape Town in 2007 but not Port Elizabeth. I thought all these years you were all still based in Zim.! I was looking in the wrong place all the time :(

Offline gaithers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 October 16 21:34 BST (UK) »
By the way...there are no McGaffins in Canada that I know of but there are family living in New York State and elsewhere in the States. I'll tell you all about them when we connect:) Paul.

Offline brucecollummacmillan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 07 October 16 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul /Colin
I'm still trying to get the hang of this board, so I hope I am replying in the right place
Thank you very much for the photo of grandpa and grandma, he looks a lot like my father.
I still have to work ( no pension) so I am busy during the week and sometimes Saturdays with my little internet and IT network support company.
Right now i am fixing up my house as it is a mess and needs a face lift
ALL my children live me, but my son and his wife are going to emigrate to UK next June.
there is no future here for young people and this is no longer a good place to bring up children.
Both will have their Masters degrees by then and I don't think they will have any problem working in London
You cannot believe how exited we are finding family after previously fruitlessly trying without any success. Our side of the family tree is just about complete, as it is just us here
My daughter in law's roots are in Ireland but she did not have much success in finding her Irish relatives, on her fathers side.. M.S. lives in Singapore and he looks after Pacific Rim for his company . Her sister recently moved to London with her partner and they both have found nice jobs.
Will catch up with you on all the news and pictures..   So excited to have found you
Bruce

Moderator comment: edited for content

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 07 October 16 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Bruce

We have a 'no living people' policy here as per our guidelines for posting.

Please could you use the modify button at the top of your latest reply and delete some names.

Thank you.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 08 October 16 07:37 BST (UK) »
Bruce if you make one more post you can then use private message function to contact the family and then share email addresses. If you still living in Harare there are people willing to pay for you to research the archives. If the archives still exist and it is safe to go there.
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline gaithers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 08 October 16 08:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Bruce! Thanks for your latest message. I am just back from my break away in Newcastle but I'm working today, Saturday, so I'll get back to you tomorrow sometime! Delighted your son and daughter in law are moving to the Uk but I'm sure for you it is bitter-sweet :( .... my brother lives in Australia and I know what it feels like each time he visits , then has to return home :(
Till tomorrow then! Paul.

Offline brucecollummacmillan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 10 October 16 00:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you Mr Pampoem, for the tips on PM.  Still new on the board here, and should have read the FAQ and rules first. regards Bruce