Author Topic: Westbury families  (Read 21961 times)

Offline nwestbury

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Westbury families
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 March 10 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Extremely interested in obtaining an English transcript of William's Will

Offline Newberrychaser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 March 10 23:23 GMT (UK) »
No kidding!  I just found where we might find it.  Do you have access to Sir R.C. Hoare's "Westbury"?  It's on pg. 16  ;D

http://www.archive.org/stream/wiltshirearchaeo10arc#page/316/mode/2up/search/westbury  see pg. 316 here.  Nick, if you get a copy, would you please send me a copy too?  I was checking with the Somerset R.O. today, but I don't think they will be responding until next week.

medieval research

Offline nwestbury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 12 March 10 23:50 GMT (UK) »
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=6M5Hu95Ru3MC&q=%22william+westbury%22&dq=%22william+westbury%22&lr=&cd=15

Like to get my hands on this text - only a snippet view at the moment.

Text snippet:

"The other William FitzWaryn was father of Catherine, wife of William Westbury, one of the justices of the court of the from 1426 to 1449. They had a son and heir, John Westbury, father of Agnes. She became sole heir on the death of her brother, william westbury, under age, and without issue. On the death of her mother Alice in 1482, ...  , wife of john newburgh, agnes was wife of Robert Leversege"

Now I think there is an error in there. Since there is a court record placing Agnes the wife of Robert Leversege as the daughter of William Westbury (Judge).  Agnes seems to be the sister of the John Westbury - not the daugther.

Offline Newberrychaser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 March 10 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Nick:

For some reason, I am able to get the whole book.  I know that sometimes my colleague in Wilts can't see things that I send to her.  So if you can't see them, send them to me and I will tell you what they say, or try and send you a copy of it.  Watch your email and I will try and copy and past the page to you.

Sue
medieval research

Offline Newberrychaser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 March 10 00:06 GMT (UK) »
 :o ;D :D

UNBELIEVABLE, you have made the day here for me Nick.  Here is a transcription of that page.  If there is more that you want me to look for, just let me know!

"William was son and heir of John Fitzwaryn of Aston-in-Monslow, Salop, and he died in 14 Hen. VI. 1436, leaving a daughter and heir Alice, then aged twenty-four years, and a wife of John Gerald.  The other William Fitzwaryn was father of Catherine, wife of William Westbury, one of the Justices of the Court of King’s Bench from 1426 to 1449.  They had a son and heir, John Westbury, father of Agnes.  She became sole heir at the death of her brother, William Westbury, under age and without issue.  On the death of her mother Alice in 1482, then wife of John Newburgh, Agnes was the wife of Robert Leversege."

This solves my problem!  I hope it did something to help yours as well.

Sue
medieval research

Offline nwestbury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 13 March 10 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Sue,

see note above. I am not convinced that Agnes was the daughter of John, she is recorded as the daughter of William in a court record.

Offline nwestbury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 13 March 10 00:27 GMT (UK) »
 :)

Offline Newberrychaser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 13 March 10 00:29 GMT (UK) »
I know!  But at least part of it solves the problem.  I do think that we need to go back and check the wills for both.  If I can get them, I will let you know.  I was a little wary of Agnes being John's daughter too.

Sue
medieval research

Offline nwestbury

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 13 March 10 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Scope and content    
Robert Leversegge and Agnes his wife, daughter of William Westbury, justice of the King's Bench. v. John, son of William Paston, late justice of the Common Pleas, feoffee.: Lands, &c. in Westbury: Wilts.

Covering dates    1454-1455
Availability    Open Document, Open Description, Normal Closure before FOI Act: 30 years
Held by    The National Archives, Kew

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATLN=7&CATID=-2408369&j=1