Author Topic: Walter Hawkes  (Read 2380 times)

Offline les_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Hawkes
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 October 12 18:52 BST (UK) »
Well here we are over 3 years after i wrote the first post, Thanks to Lisa & Karen who tried to help when i first wrote, sadly despite following your advice nothing has come to light and no answers.

Due to ill health etc etc been a while since i have posted.

A slight update to my first post and hopefully :) those in the know maybe know of new records?

Another letter has since been found, nothing that cracks the case but he mentioned he was now married for a 2nd time, as above no idea of a first or where, it is possible he went to Canada 6 August 1909 aboard The Victorian Liverpool to Montreal arrived 12 Aug 1909 but that is only guesswork as it is the only record i have found that comes close. Sadly it only Gives the name as Mr & Mrs Hawkes.

Pretty sure he did go about that date as in the letter he asked about a niece and did she have any family, so obviously none before he left

A slightly sad part about his letter, he was writing to my Grandmother about the death of her husband (his brother) and also asking how another brother was and that brother had also died about the same time, i assume a letter was sent back with that news?

Above i also mentioned a missing sister Lucy Hawkes, and due to probate records i now know she married, it was only because an Aunt with an unusual name had died and left her the estate it appeared, so shows those brick walls can be broken down, so i still live in hope Walter can be found.

Walter is the only one of 6 siblings i am missing, i mentioned above that one of them was pretty high up in the post office, i now know this was another brother Albert Edwin and have found the family living in the Royal Mews, so guess that's pretty high  :o

Walter was born 20th May 1886, again i have him in the 1891 Census he is living with parents and brothers at 10 Colvin street,

the same address that is on mother Lucys death certificate in 1895

1901 census aged 14 telegraph messanger living at 39, Carthew Road, Hammersmith, sadly that is the final trace apart from letters, many thanks even if it is only taking time to read my waffling ;)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 October 12 21:57 BST (UK) »
Canadian voters lists have just recently been released.  In Alliston for 1949 there is a Percy Hawkes, labourer and in 1968 Percy Hawkes in Alliston is listed as a gentleman.

http://www.canada411.ca/
If you enter Hawkes and Alliston, On you get the names of 2 individuals with addresses and phone numbers.  Perhaps relatives??

Debbie

Offline les_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 October 12 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie, many thanks for taking the time to reply,
sadly 3 years ago Lisa on page 1 pm'd me with two familes who were living in Alliston, and i wrote and nothing :'(

Put the surname in the link you gave me and came up with the same two people, also i am pretty sure that Percy is not him, as i did some extensive searching, i THINK if i remember that Percy was married to someone named Elizabeth, and traced a marriage and they were American, maybe wrong with the finer details lol.

I joined Ancestery CA for a free trial and frustrated me to hell as still no sign, i have a full membership for UK version and it now allows you to search Canada and still nothing, i tried to see if he joined Canadian Army (thinking about it that maybe where i found Percy and his service record) and still drew a blank, i was thinking maybe he was in hiding for some reason, but you would think he would reappear in some record?

Again many thanks Debbie for taking the time, just hoping someone will come up with something similar to you that will explain ;)

Offline vbain

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 October 12 14:57 BST (UK) »
Went to Soldiers of the First world war.
Walter, Hawkes,b 1893
Walter, James,b. 1891

Offline les_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 October 12 16:55 BST (UK) »
Went to Soldiers of the First world war.
Walter, Hawkes,b 1893
Walter, James,b. 1891

Thanks for that, seen those one is Walter David, the Other Walter James
thanks anyway ;)