Author Topic: Marsh Family Austonley Upper Thong and Cartworth  (Read 11665 times)

Offline HiltonLee

• RootsChat Extra
  • that was before I knew very much
    • View Profile
Re: Marsh Family Austonley Upper Thong and Cartworth
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 June 09 13:34 BST (UK) »
It's refreshing to find such a record in other than a family bible, for a change.

Thanks for getting in touch Ann.
Thanks for putting  Ann in touch Dobby. ..happy hoppy

cheers, Geoffrey
Baxter, Beaumont, Billinghurst, Blott, Broadbent, Cooper, Creak, Davis, Dyson, Farnham, Goizin, Haddock, Hall, Hardie, Henning, Hill, Hilton, Hollist, Hull, Johnston, Kaye, Lee, Mellor, Moorhouse, Nash, Newman, Prudden, Robinson, Shaw, Shore, Squire, Taylor, Thorndell, (Unknown), Yalden

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 June 09 00:21 BST (UK) »
Hi
Many old books like that in old books shops left unoticed by the passing crowds one would think.Yet! out there are families hoping for such things to come their way. If more people were like Ann using this and other websites to bring info to the forefront of online media. People don't seem to have the same interest in the UK  in ancestry as other countires being the intigue and excitment of ancestors from distant lands!. Only from the otherside of the hill up here in a lot of cases.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline wrc35a

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Very interested to see this posting.
First of all, as a native of Holmbridge, I can confirm that the local pronunciation of Flushhouse is "Flushes" (as near as makes no difference).  I would be happy to locate all the various other places mentioned in the list of births - they are all familiar to me and are still in use today, with the exception of Dyson's Mill which was, I think, later known as Perseverance Mills and is located at Victoria between Holmfirth and Hinchliffe Mill, a mere stone's throw from Bottoms.
I am researching my Barnes ancestors.  My 2G grandfather, William Barnes (b 1825 in Hayfield Derbyshire), married Mary Crosland (b 1826 in Holmbridge) in 1848.  Mary was the daughter of Dan Crosland (sometimes Crossland) b about 1783 in Hepworth.  She died a widow in Hinchliffe Mill in 1865 and the informant of her death was a Joshua Marsh of Dyson Mill Cartworth (see above).  I have been trying to discover what connection, if any, there was between the Barnes/Crosland family and Joshua Marsh.  I had reason to believe that Joshua Marsh married a Mary Cros(s)land (presumably a different one from my 2G grandmother!) in Sep Q 1851 though have not yet traced them through the parish records or bought a certificate.  I had also calculated that my Joshua Marsh was born in 1823 (backdating from the only death of that name age 72 in 1895).  It therefore certainly looks as though my Joshua Marsh is the same one as in your original posting.
It seems increasingly likely that the Crosland (Crossland) link is indeed the answer.  Perhaps Dan and George Cros(s)land are brothers?  I shall pursue this line of enquiry.  It would be very good to fit your Croslands in with mine to confirm it.
Other possible dates of relevance are:
Death of Joshua Marsh Sep Q 1895 age 72 and death of Mary Marsh March Q 1907 age 77.
Robert
barnes crosland hinchliffe beardshall, charlesworth battye woodhead taylor

Offline Annied22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 19:37 GMT (UK) »
That'll make my day if the info from my dictionary has actually helped your research! Let me know if you'd like me to email you pics of the entries.
Dickinson, Forster, Crisp, Davy, Sankey, Herdman, Watts, Elder, Seaton Sluice

Vezey, London

Offline wrc35a

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 20:40 GMT (UK) »
That would be great - but it will be best to communicate via private message and I haven't done 3 postings yet so we can't.  Except that this is posting number 2.....

Offline wrc35a

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 20:41 GMT (UK) »
and with any luck, this will count as posting number 3...

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Coming into the chat a bit late but I feel sure that the Marshes and Mellors of Austonley/Flushouse are relatives of mine, though not directly.
My Marshes are David b.appx.1775 + Sarah b.1772/1778 nee Barber.
Their dghtr Ellen b.appx.1808 md.James Mellor - he farmed land nr. Mellor Lane in Austonley.
Their son was Joseph Mellor but b. 1825.
The people mentioned in your book must surely be linked to my ancestors but as yet I'm not sure how.
David Marsh is my 4x g.grandfather. James Mellor is my 3xg.grandfather.
Would love to see the document - maybe I can work out how they fit into my tree.

Offline Annied22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 23:31 GMT (UK) »
If you PM me your email addie, I'll send you copies.
Dickinson, Forster, Crisp, Davy, Sankey, Herdman, Watts, Elder, Seaton Sluice

Vezey, London

Offline wrc35a

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 30 October 09 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Just to let you know that we are making good progress with the Marshes.  I won't post a full account yet because there is more I want to do, but the following interim report may be of interest:
Betty Mellor is shown as "Female Servant" age about 20 - 24 in the Joshua Marsh household in Flushhouse in 1841, and Joseph also shows up, aged 3 months so that all ties in nicely with the dictionary.
Joshua had several younger siblings but most may not have survived childhood.
Joshua's father, John Marsh, appears to have died around June 1839, and his mother, Hannah, remarried - to a Peter Gyte (or Gite) in about September 1840.   It is these two adults who appear with the Marsh children and Betty and Joseph Mellor in the 1841 census.  There do not appear to have been any subsequent Gyte/Gite children.
I have not yet linked Mary Crossland (Joshua's wife) to my Cros(s)lands though I have high hopes. 
Another fascinating fact which only came to light yesterday is that Joshua's surviving sister, the conveniently unusually-named Tirzah Marsh, married a John Crossland in June 1855!  Could this be a case of brother and sister marrying sister and brother?  We'll see.  Tirzah Crosland (the spelling seems to be interchangeable with Crossland) died in the Huddersfield district in 1910 age 77, putting her year of birth at around 1833.
Robert