Author Topic: North Lanarkshire Council Graves moved.  (Read 10969 times)

Offline Glamis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: North Lanarkshire Council Graves moved.
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 11:33 BST (UK) »
Yes, that does sound something worth watching. Do they manage to match names to remains though or is all lost in the first place with the tarmac ontop? This is what troubles me. These remains were laid to rest in the faith they would preserve thier dignity and identities for all prosperity. In a sort of as evidence they'd been here kind of way.

The Author Betty Wilsher makes a plea for graveyard conservation and has useful advice on this, including web resources. Co-publisher: Council for Scottish Archaeology.
I found this site very helpful if anyone has concerns.

www.scottishgraveyards.org.uk

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 19:13 BST (UK) »
The picture I posted was taken a couple of years ago, yes, North Lanarkshire Council, in line with all other district councils in Scotland, is responsible for the upkeep of the churchyard. To give credit where it is due, since I brought the neglected condition of this burial ground to the attention of the Head of Cemeteries and Parks (or whatever his title is now) much has been done to preserve what is left. A ten foot hedge has been cut down, so drug addicts, drunks, vandals etc can now be seen by passers by, something that those sort of low-life don't like, so they have moved elsewhere. The monumental inscriptions have been transcribed too, so that helps researchers who can't go there in person.

I didn't see the TV programme, I'll try and find it.
I do know that there is now a chance that coffin plates could be found, a fantastic bonus for the genealogist. That was the case when Airdrie burgh exhumed half of Chapel Street burial ground in the 1930s. The burgh engineer kept a meticulous record and also recorded the MIs. Many coffin plates were found, some dating back almost to 1800, but no headstone or perhaps a worn inscription. So without the coffin plates, the information would have been lost for ever.

It's worth noting that it was very common here in Scotland for gravediggers to unearth bones while opening family plots, and to just throw the bones away. There is much evidence for this. Has no one ever heard of charnel houses?

Many places only rent out graves, if the heirs don't pay the rent out the bones go and the grave is re-let. Have a look at the famous cemeteries in Paris - Per Lachase, Montparnase, Montmartre etc. The rented plot is called a concession, purchased for 50 - 99 years or in perpetuity.
The graves are walled inside, like vaults, no earth in them, just a heavy slab to cover them over with. So if the rent doesn't get paid the grave can easily be cleared out. As far as I know they bones are cremated.
The cemetery officials spend about 10 years trying to contact the owners - some of whom have been dead for about 100 years - or their heirs and successors, every chance is given but if after the alloted time no one comes forward the plots are re-sold. People are dying to get them!

Little plaques are put on the tombs, announcing the fact that proceedings are underway.

So unless you know a good curse, (like Shakespere's) there is no guarantee your bones wont be moved.

Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Counting my Blessings...not the years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 14 September 09 20:36 BST (UK) »
I found this thread quite by accident ...and it does raise a few valid concerns .. A few years ago my OH and I decided ... having found ancestors graves often overgrown and neglected as a result of families moving away from the places where they were born etc , that we would have a woodland Burialwhere you have exclusive rights of burial in perpetuity , unlike conventional cemeteries, woodland burial areas progressively return to Nature's own cycle of care and renewal .. I suppose some might think that means tangled undergrowth and  forgotten areas but the place we have chosen is somewhere that echoes life and is full of growing things ; a woodland park where a tree is your headstone with a degradable wooden plaque and  GPS  co ordinateS  to ensure  "the place " could be found in years to come by any descendants interested in finding one's final resting place ....  and it is final ..  I would rather be remembered in a place of dignity and natural beauty than amidst regimental rows of stones in a place that looked neglected in years to come ..Just my own opinion..The burial insists on a bio degradable  coffin  or Ashes may be interred loose or scattered along a flower Meadow .
In many cemeteries the rights to burial may be limited to 50 years or even less sometimes. I believe often the plot is leased by the Cemetery and succeeding relatives may have to re purchase the  lease or  even face the possibility of ancestors being moved !!
 I have only very recently found out that I  have Grandparents, whom I never knew,  buried in Lanarkshire. I'm anxious now to recheck where in light of the information I  have seen here ! ....
Poll
Reynolds Johnson Chapman Goodyear Wright   Demmon Maddison Jackson Bush Lingard<br />Lincolnshire Northants,Essex.   Soutar  McKenzie Stuart Watt Banff, Coupar Angus, Glen Livet, Broughty Ferry, Coatbridge, Airdrie Lanarkshire and Saskatchewan, Hamilton Wentworth, Canada. Phillips. Coyne- March Cambs, Islington,Hackney 1st Lincolnshire Regt 1914

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople