Author Topic: Old Schoolhouse, Kirkintilloch (Dinwoodie)  (Read 11672 times)

Offline normatrees

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old Schoolhouse, Kirkintilloch (Dinwoodie)
« on: Wednesday 27 May 09 15:15 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if the old schoolhouse at Kirkintilloch still exists. My GG grandmother Janet Dinwoodie, died there in 1929. The address on the death cert is hard to read. It says..The Old Schoolhouse, then what appears to be 'Gailshore', Kirkintilloch. Does anyone know of anywhere in that area that sounds at all like Gailshore!
cheers
Norma
Dumfriesshire - Anderson, Little, Mundell, Dinwoodie,
Thorburn, Carlyle, Thomson, Bailley, Gillespie etc

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Old Schoolhouse, Kirkintilloch (Dinwoodie)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 15:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Norma

There are some entries coming up in the 1901 census for 'Gartshore Old School House' Kirkintilloch.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline normatrees

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 16:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. How do you look up addresses in the census? I didn't know you could do that!
n

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 16:30 BST (UK) »
You can on Ancestry's Scottish census indexes - not SP unfortuantely  :-\

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline normatrees

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 16:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Will remember that for next time I have access to Ancestry (very intermitant!)

Offline DuncanM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 June 09 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Norma, 

there isn't a lot online about this building but it still exists as a private house. it is on the B8048 Kirkintilloch/Waterside Road beside Easterton Farm. you could google for a satellite image using postcode G66 3TG. it is viewable on the old maps website in the same location 1864. william patrick library might have some more information or photographs of it. I drive past it every saturday when I take my daughter to swimming lessons.

Good Luck

Duncan

Offline normatrees

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 June 09 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Duncan,
Thank you so much for your interest. By chance I got a reply, via the museum, from their very helpful archivist at the WP library!
It is indeed the right place, part of the Gartshore Estate, then owned by Alexander Whitelaw, so mystery solved.
Thanks again for your help.
Norma

Offline DuncanM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 June 09 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Norma,

I have sent you a pm on this
 ;D

Offline TanyaHill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 August 12 17:58 BST (UK) »
For several years during the 1970's and 80's  The Old Schoolhouse was our home.  We bought it from the Whitelaw estate. At that time it the widow of the old gamekeeper was living in it. I understand it had been the tied house of the gamekeepers since its use as a school.
The house and school were one building but each had separate entrances front and back, a wall dividing the two. The gamekeepers had lived in the residential side of the house and the enormous school room was used only for storage. We created an internal door between the two, added electricity  and it became our living area and art studio. The internal door opened into the children's cloakroom, tall and narrow with dozens of stags heads hanging above the coat hooks.
The schoolroom itself was a magnificent room, 30 feet long and a 15ft high ceiling. Windows on three walls were almost as tall and had the beautiful blown glass that refracted the outside woodland beautifully, working wooden shutters folded to the side of them. The original wood stove was there (which we donated to either Glasgow Green or a local museum. The wooden stage where the schoolmaster's desk sat was still there and used by our own daughter to dance on. At the back was another porch and toilet with a back door that led outside. A few yards away beautiful stone steps led up into a native bluebell wood oak, elm hazel and beech.
Within the woods was a little quarry where the whinstone to build the house had been excavated and over the years it had been used to deposit the years of rubbish from all  the occupants.  There was no rubbish collection in those days. The stepped walls of the quarry were covered with native trees and bluebells and with the help of the neighbouring farmer we cleared it to reveal a beautiful dell. It's possible we may have handled things from your grand mother's time. There were many broken things, and some whole, I still have a little lustre glass vase I found there.
The residential house had two downstairs rooms, a kitchen and bathroom and front and back hallway. The front hall was charming, the floor was stone flagged and the first step of the stairway was also stone, the rail was an ornamental cast iron which had been painted. (We took it back to it's original state). The stairway curved around with a skylight above, and there were two bedrooms upstairs. The smallest had a skylight which  was lovely on clear nights, I imagine a child or maid's room?
I do have a few photos and also some aerial pics but it would be easiest to contact directly through e mail or fb as I'm unsure of how to use this site. My e mail is (*)
Best wishes.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php