Author Topic: Help with Latin please  (Read 2273 times)

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Help with Latin please
« on: Wednesday 27 May 09 21:11 BST (UK) »
What follows is from a Google Book excerpt and I'd be most grateful if anyone could translate the latin part for me please:

TESTAMENTA EBORACENSIA by York.

CXIV. TESTAMENTUM JOHANNIS MALEVERER ARMIGERI NUPER IN PAR.
DONCASTRE DEFUNCTI.

In Dei nomine, Amen.  Tercio die mensis Januarii, A.D. Millesimo cccc.lj.  Ego Johannes Maleverer,* compos mentis-Lego corpus meum Sepeliendum in ecclesia Sancti Francisci.  Lego vjlb. ceræ ad comburendum circa corpus meum in die sepulturæ meæ.  Presbiteris et clericis existentibus ad exequias meas pro anima mea.  Fratribus Minoribus Doncastriæ ubi corpus meum erit sepultum vj marcas.  Fratribus Carmelitis Doncastre’ vj s. viij d.  Fabricæeccles. B. Petri Ebor. vj s. viij d.  Ricardo Rawlyn capellano ad celebrandum pro anima mea per tres annos xxj. marcas.  Item volo quod dictus Ricardus habeat in custodia sua calicem meum deauratum, dum celebret pro anima mea, et deinde remaneat Aluredo** filio meo apud Cusseworth.  Lego Edmundo Dayvell *** pece argenti cum coopertorio.  Willelmo Mawleverer j. pece argenti.  Alueredo Mawleverer j. pece argenti, j. hallyng pantyd, j. contyngburde, pewdyr wessell.  Isabellæ Dayvell unum equum nigrum, Edmundo Dayvell unam togam optimam penulatam, Laurentio Holyngworth unam togam penulatam et unum equum.  Residuum distribuendum inter filios juniores et Edmundus Dayvell, Isabella uxor ejus et Ric. Rawlyn executores mei, et quiscunque contradixerit voluntati meæ anathema sit.  [Prob. 8 May 1451]

*   The testator, a scion in all probability of the great family of Mauleverer, was connected with one of its flourishing branches, which was settled at Letwell.  In the year 1403 John Mauleverer (the father of the testator?) and Joan his wife obtain the manor of Cusworth from Richard Leeds.  This manor was now in his possession, and descended to Alured, his son.  Cusworth passed from the Mauleverers in the reign of Edward V.

**   Alured Mauleverer, the testator’s son, to whom the manor of Cusworth descended, died in 1455.  On the 5th July in that year, the administration to the effects of Alured Malyverer, of Cusworth, was granted to Walter Calverley, of Calverley, Esq.

*** The family of Davell, or D’Eyvile, was for a long time in possession of the manor of Warmesworth.  On the 7th November, 1466, Sir Edmund Mountford, rector of Warmesworth, administers to the effects of Edmund Davell of Warmesworth, gen.  Mountford was presented to the rectory in 1432, by Thomas D’Eyville, the patron of the living; and he held it until his death in 1471.  There was a family of Davell at Bilton, and another at Coxswold, in this century.  From the latter descended the Davells, of Kirkby Fletham, in Richmondshire.

Many thanks.

Jill

Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Latin please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 22:00 BST (UK) »
York Wills by York
104. the will of John Maleverer, Knight, lately deceased in the parish of Doncaster.
In the name of God, Amen. January 3rd 1451. I, John Maleverer, being of sound mind, say that my body is to be buried in the church of St Francis. I say that 6lb of candles (?) are to be burned about my body on the day of my burial. For the chaplains and priests taking part in the funeral rites for my soul, for the lesser Brothers of Doncaster, where my body will be buried, 6 marks. For the Carmelite Brothers of Doncaster 6 shillings 7 pence. For the master builder of the church of B . . . Peter of York, 6 shillings 8 pence. For Richard Rawlyn
                 to be resumed, unless I'm beaten to it,
                                    Pinot  :)

Offline JillJ

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 22:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Pinot - you're doing great!  I'm waiting for the Dayvell bit!

Jill
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 22:45 BST (UK) »
Here goes:
   . . .R.R., chaplain, for masses for my soul for three years, 21 marks. Also I wish that the said Richard R. may have in his care my gold cup/chalice while he celebrates masses for my soul and that afterwards it may remain with my son Alured at Cusseworth. I bequeathe Edmund Dayvell *** pieces of silver(?) with . . .(cum coopertorio I can't make out). To William Maleverer 1 piece of silver; to Alured Maleverer 1 piece of silver, 1 (can't make head or tail of this bit). . . pewter vessel(???).To Isabel Dayvell one black horse, to Edmund Dayvell one best . . . cloak/coat (NOT toga, I think!), to Lawrence Holyngworth one . . . coat/cloak and one horse. The rest to be divided between my younger sons and Edmund Dayvell, Isabel his wife and Richard Rawlyn, my executors, and may whoever shall go against my wishes be anathema.
                                                                    Probate given 8 May 1451

'Lego' in the 1st piece is not 'I say' but 'I bequeathe' (as in legacy). I also wrote chaplain for presbyters, wrongly. You may catch the eye of a better Latinist, a churchman and someone more at home with C15th Yorkshiremen!
                  Cheers,

Offline JillJ

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 May 09 10:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Pinot,

Thank you so much for that, it's very useful.  I was hoping, just hoping, it might give some hint as to the relationship between John Mauleverer and the Dayvells but it looks as if a bit more digging is required!

Again, many thanks for your efforts.

Jill

Offline JillJ

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 May 09 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Pinot,

Me again!  I thought I'd better go back to google and check I'd got it right and I find I've missed a bit - it was in pdf format so I couldn't copy & paste and had to type it up!

The last bit should read:

Residuum distribuendum inter filios juniores et filias Gerardi Salven ac inter Johannem et Elizabetham Deyvel.--- Edmundus Dayvell, Isabella uxor ejus et Ric. Rawlyn executores mei, et quiscunque contradixerit voluntati meæ anathema sit. 

Can't believe I missed a bit that could be really relevant!  Can you help again please?

Jill

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 May 09 00:02 BST (UK) »
the rest to be distributed between the (changed, with little reservation,  from my previous 'my', even though 'younger' implies younger than the two previously-named legatees, Alured and William)) younger sons and daughters of Gerard Salven and between John and Elizabeth Dayvell ---
 Can't see any glimpse of the hint you're looking for; I imagine you're hoping for a blood-connection.
                 Best of luck,

Offline JillJ

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 May 09 10:56 BST (UK) »
Pinot...you're a star!  Thankyou so much.

Yes, I was hoping for a relationship of some kind but at least I've now got the names of two wives which is great.  Named women are a bit of a rarity at this time in history but I guess there must have been a close connection between the Mauleverers and the Dayvells for four of them to be named in this will.   Time will hopefully tell!

My thanks again.

Jill

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 May 09 13:04 BST (UK) »
Glad to be of some help; I hope you get the links you hope for to make a connection.