Author Topic: Is Family History starting to sour?  (Read 28879 times)

Offline FAB Fiona

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Is Family History starting to sour?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 May 09 17:37 BST (UK) »
I don't think it is reluctance as such, but I do think it is the prices Ancestry, GR and FindMyPast are now charging. 

I started out when I found my g grandparents on the 1901 census on pay per view.  A little later I paid the only, and very nominal, charge (£7.50?) to have my tree on GR.  Loads of hits!  (And I still only have this basic membership!)

It was probably 2-3 years later, having exhausted the 1881 and 1901 censuses and the IGI, knowing that the other censuses were being transcribed, and spent a small fortune on certificates, that I decided to take the leap of a much larger amount of money and joined up with Ancestry.com (before Ancestry.co.uk, with Britain & Ireland only subscription - and I now can't get all the docs for some reason).  I had by this time learnt that I didn't necessarily need to buy each and every certificate for each and every person I came across.

The major census sites are too quick to demand loads of money to join in.  Some of the beginners on this site you can see are still in 1911 and 1901.  Maybe these sites should start out with a 1901 only fee, and then people can pay the money that fits with where their heads are with their research.  GR especially should encourage 'just a tree' membership , and then allow would-be family historians to move up the grades of membership in their own time. 

Fiona
Bradbury-Gorton/Salford/Disley
Barker-Bury/Stockport/Cheadle, Staffs
Barrowclough-Salford/Sowerby
Berry-Coppull
Connolly-Hulme/Birkenhead/Ireland
Crowley, Renshaw & Steele-Manchester
De Rome-Salford/London
Godson-Gorton/Salford/Stafford
Hampson & Lofthouse-Salford
Kay-Bury
Mooney & Richmond-Dublin
Price & Sparks-Wirral
Pritchard-Stockport/Manchester/Leeds
Shaw-Standish
Stredder-Birkenhead/Liverpool/Folkingham
Sweeney-Salford/Chester
White-Manchester/Notts/Dublin
Ziegler-Staff

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 May 09 18:48 BST (UK) »
I don't understand the large jump in fees for GR, I am also still on the basic membership but if they ask me in September for a huge sum compared to the £7.50 I paid last year, I won't be continued.  Yes I find plenty of contacts but that's it, there is nothing else I get out of the site that I want.  That is enough to make anyone sour let alone me  ;D

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 May 09 19:29 BST (UK) »
Family History in general has been soured for me (a person who has been doing family history from childhood) by the number of people who moan about "name gathers" (it used to be only local historians and archivists who called genealogists that, not other family historians) and "tree theft".

In the good old days we used to share with other genealogists and family historians at often some cost (in either photocopying expenses or man-hours copying records by hand).
Now many will only share if they think they are going to get something in return.

I hope that eventually common sense will prevail and the practice of sharing for the joy of helping others will return.

Family history research has never easier with so many records available in ones own home (books, microfiche, microfilm, CDs and online). It has never been cheaper either.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline nameless

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 May 09 22:13 BST (UK) »
I hope that people stay interested in family history because I have an ancestor who is still a mystery.  Although I know he has a lot of descendants, I have only contacted one other person researching his family.  The researcher is not actually a descendant but married to one.

In the hope that "What goes around comes around"  I look at these boards and see if I have any information which will help others.  I hope that one day someone will give me information about him.

Offline les_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 28 May 09 22:14 BST (UK) »
i THINK the credit cruch also has a lot to do with it, as it does seem to have gone into a bit of a lull at the moment, you wait until WDYTYA comes back, or Heir Hunters i'm sure it will pick up again,

i use Roots, GU, Ancestery and FindMyPast, also a few others slightly, so not cheap over the year, and at times it is annoying some of the enquires you get and then nothing, a few days ago i got a message that he was asking about such and such via a hot match, it was one of my grandads brothers wives on my tree, , and he was a  brothers cousin to the same person, so i was a lot closer related and had LOADS of info i could have shared, yet not a dicky back, as above i never give access to my tree to people just asking, so his loss, i am sure many many on here have similar experiences, i just hope it doesn't disilusion to many of you, i am also sure that a lot of you will find in your own family that you think you are the only one interested, and wonder why you do it,
my sister-in-law started all this in the late 70s and we all know how hard it was then, the info she found has been priceless and MOST of what she found i have confirmed, lol she is my ex sister-in-law now, but i still talk to her more about it all than most in my family,
but one day i am sure my kids, cousins etc will find the info' invaluable and some of it they would never be able to find, i also have so many photos collected from different chapters of the family again many would be lost but are now scanned and shared around, so keep your chins up, ONE DAY it will all be worth while ;)

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 29 May 09 01:18 BST (UK) »
Reading this thread over the past couple of days has made me start to rethink my philosophy.  When I started my research some 20 years ago I was really only interested in direct ancestors, although I made notes of siblings and their families as well.

As I hit brick walls I started fleshing out some of these sibling's families in the hope of finding out more about my directs:  sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.

After all this time I still have only a few more than 600 individuals in my tree, and since it includes my childrens' maternal ancestors, it is closer to 300-400 in my direct lines.

One thing I seldom do (unless requested by a relative) is trace back "married in" lines:  i.e. if my great grandfather's sister married and had children, I will not trace her husband's line back because there is no blood connection.  I will, of course, trace their children.

I have all but 2 of my 3rd great grandparents, and about 50% of my 4th great grandparents.  I feel good about this, but I am at pretty much of a standstill in my research.

I can't foresee expanding much beyond what I currently have, but don't intend to give up.

Nick 
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline parkywinter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 29 May 09 09:27 BST (UK) »
I agree with Deborah and Charlotte about name gatherers.

I have to say I am currently in touch outside of rootschat with a couple of contacts about two different strands of my tree and the enthusiasm hasn't waived a bit there.  So for serious researchers there is still fun to be had.

I have to say I'm a bit fed up of the wave of rootschatters who are just here to take, take, take without researching anything for themselves and then don't even bother to thank those of us who spend ages searching for them  >:(  Yes I know we don't all have access to Ancestry etc but there are so many freebie sites out there now that there really is little excuse sometimes.   >:(

Moan over but I do wonder how serious some of them are about family history.  If they lost connection to rootschat or the internet would they bother to carry on, would they bother to go to libraries, family history centres, record centres etc or look for other sources.

Sorry I said moan over  ::)

Kerry

Winter-Birmingham,Midsx,Kent.
Killer-Manchester,Birmingham,Midsx,Kent.
Wakefield-Kent,London,High Wycombe.
Page-Wiltshire,London,Kent.

Offline Floozy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Susan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 29 May 09 09:39 BST (UK) »
We shouldnt judge people to harshly when it comes to family research.

I am one of many who is able to research without to much help.

But when Im in that brick wall mode I ask for help.

I am a searcher, I think it is installed in me from my years of library experience but I do stumble.  And I have been most appreciative of those who have guided me in the right direction.

We must remember their are a lot of people who dont know how to research and its up to those with a bit of experience to guide them in the right direction.
And help if we have too. I have helped when I can but not t 2 am in the morning when Im feeling a bit weary.  And I am a busy mum with a full time job.

But I find alot who do this research are aging in years no offence to our seniors and sometimes learning new techniques take a bit of getting used to.

So if some one asks for help do so  but for those who ask please say thank you.

okay I have said my peace for the day .

Bless everyone

Floozy
DEWSTOWE/DUSTOW, WADE, REED, ROGERS, GARRETT, HAY, KERR, BAS-TED HUSBAND  COOKE/COOK, GOWER, JEFFREYS,DAVIES, OATES or OATS, , GREASLEY/GREASLY, BIRD, BOSWELL, WILLEY, WHEADON, PARKER, ABBOTT?(maybe not related), JONES, QUINN, SCOTT, ISBESTER or ISBISTER?, LLOYD, RICHARDS, WHETTALL
Names come from Redruth, Cornwall, Wales, Scotland and possibly Ireland. And other parts of England.
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline parkywinter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 29 May 09 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

wanted to quote from one of the posts here ( I think I've just re-posted it!!  ::)

I have been researching my fh for about two years now. My families all came from a long distance from where I am now living and therefore can only use the internet at present so cannot "visit the archives and other record resources" - never mind the cost of travelling to and staying overnight!

I have only recently requested look ups at two sites as had hit a brick wall. Everyone that has helped me has been duly thanked effusively. I truly appreciate that these kind people are using their own subscriptions and time to do this for me-without them I would have probably become disheartened and given up.

I did not know, when I started, any more than my parent's names-now I have found through a lot of searching, double checking and certificate purchase a lot of info about my families.

So please remember that not everyone can go on a physical search for many reasons. That doesn't make us any less genuine in our interest! I realise however there are those out there that will always be takers! That's life sadly.

It's up to the rest of us genuinely interested hunters to give the occupation a good kudos!

Regards,  Parkywinter.   I'll shut up now!   :-X
Winter-Birmingham,Midsx,Kent.
Killer-Manchester,Birmingham,Midsx,Kent.
Wakefield-Kent,London,High Wycombe.
Page-Wiltshire,London,Kent.