Author Topic: Palgrave Frith c 1635  (Read 5182 times)

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
Re: Palgrave Frith c 1635
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 14:19 BST (UK) »
Hmmm, that would make her on the young side for marriage, and also North Walsham is a fair distance away (I should have said Thornage above, not Letheringsett, as that's where this couple got married).

I'll have to get back to this tomorrow, but I'm favouring Fish now. That writing looks as if the first 2 letters are "ff" and the other Palgrave Fish adds weight to this theory, for me.
 ???

Offline toad

• RootsChat Member
  • Martha Murray 1920-1990
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 17:56 BST (UK) »
Need a old English handwriting expert :)   There are loads of Friths in Norfolk if you look through all the records, found a few that could be promising as sisters/brothers born around same time.
 As for age of marriage back in the 1600's it wasnt unusual for them to marry early, the minimum legal age for marriage in England was 12.!     We may never know though, I sometimes think we have been lucky to get that far back! 
North Walsham was where my husbands nan came from her mum was Charlotte Girdlestone who married a Robert Hewitt.

Millership Worcs Staffs   Creer Liverpool IOM  Fishwick Cheshire   Edwards Lancs Cheshire   Smith Cheshire  Murray Lancs  Fitzpatrick Down Ireland  Hewitt  Norfolk  Girdlestone Norfolk  Reilly Ireland Anglesey  Youd  Cheshire  Parker Cheshire  Linacre Cheshire  Higgins Ireland Anglesey   Dickson Lancs  Bohannan Lancs   Downey Gallway Ireland

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 08:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the PM and extra info - so we now concur that she was indeed Palgrave Fish! Good to have got to the bottom of that little mystery.  :)

I see that there are lots of Fishes in Norfolk in the early 17th C too, and Christopher had a few children (try searching just on surname, birthdate 1600-1640).

And actually, looking at that Fish record you posted before (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N53D-L65) - I reckon that is probably Palgrave who married Richard, because Richard was born in 1638 and that would be about right with what I estimated before (1640). I must have been tired when I looked before because I somehow calculated about 12-13, but this record would make her a few days away from 16 on her wedding day. And he was only 18. So entirely believable.

Incidentally, Joseph Godderson was indeed Godderson, not Girdlestone - confirmed by other records. It would be nice to know how his wife (the other Palgrave Fish is connected, but I don't have time to go there now...

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 17 August 17 13:31 BST (UK) »
These are a few potentially useful sites in connection with some of the Girdlestones (no source records but useful for purposes of guidance and comparison):

http://www.salthousehistory.co.uk/girdlestones.html# The Girdlestones of Kelling - traces from the first Girdlestone through the branch down to Zurishaddai (m. Sarah Hewitt), via son Samuel Rainbow, son Rev. Charles (b.1797) and his children. (It veers from my line at Zurishaddai (b.1719), but does show quite a few siblings' details along the way.)

http://home.scarlet.be/sharmadillo/fam-shar/fam01943.htm - down to Elizabeth (b.1742), daughter of Thomas, who marries James Hewitt.

https://familytrees.genopro.com/IainTait/Beath-Tait_Ancestors/timeline22.htm?unit=8,pixels=50,wrapEvents=true,date=31%20Dec%201608 - This is a timeline showing quite a few family lines through to 1960s.

(I haven't yet searched further into Palgrave Fish's family, but obtained quite a bit of detail on the early ancestors by using info from the first two and using other sources I found by using details from them.)