Author Topic: Help Finding Annie  (Read 2356 times)

Offline __tracy__

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Help Finding Annie
« on: Thursday 28 May 09 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi

Heres a challenge can anyone see if they can find anything on this lady please

Annie Sowchuck
Birth: 12 JUN 1902
Macnutt, Saskatchewan, Canada 
Death: 6 SEP 1963
Taber, Alberta, Canada 

i know she married a Roska in 1916 if it possible to find anything on her

Regards Tracy
Underwood~Lancashire  .......Lowe~Lancashire........Makin -Lancashire
Hallam~Lancashire........Forward~Lancashire.......Kennedy-Lancashire
Charlton~Manchester......Conway~Manchester/Ireland..Collins~Manchester
Kilcoyne~Manchester/Philli...............Knowles~Oldham...............Platt~Oldham...............Bailey~Oldham

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help Finding Annie
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 May 09 00:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Tracy

MacNutt, Saskatchewan - is not so far from the border of Manitoba (google maps)
Prior to 1909, it was the District of Landestreu. In 1909 it was renamed to honour Thomas MacNUTT, a prominent area member of Legislative Assembly. The village  was settled late 1880's to 1910's by immigrants who were largely of german Origin.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacNutt,_Saskatchewan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_MacNutt

IGI has a Pedigree file of the family, it has the name and address of the submitter of the data, a Californian address.

Annie SOWCHUCK
b 12 Jun 1902, MacNutt, Saskatchewan
Father: Paul SOWCHUCK
Mother: Mary SHEWCHUCK
d 6 Sep 1963, Taber, Alberta
m. 23 Jul 1916, MacNutt to:  John ROSKA

Parents:
Paul SOWCHUCK
b. 1858, Bukowina, Austria
Father: George SOWCHUCK
d. 15 May 1923 Shellmouth, Manitoba,
buried: 5 Jul 1923 Shellvalley, Manitoba, Canada
m. Mary SHEWCHUK, b Bukowina Austria

Sister:
Lena SOWCHUCK
b 6 Jan 1907, MacNutt, Saskatchewan
m. 18 Jan 1922 to: Tudor GURALUK

Sister:
Helen SOWCHUCK
b Bukowina Austria
m. to: Arthur ZELENSKI

Sister:
Polly SOWCHUCK

Sister:?
Senora SOWCHUCK
b. MacNutt, Saskatchewan
m. to: Eli KEEPER

Cemetery in Canada:
Shell Valley St. John the Baptist Ukrainian & Romanian Orthodox

In Census 1911
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/index.html
MacNutt Hamlet is in Enumeration District 21, Townships 23, Saltcoats.
McNutt is covered on pages 19 and 20.

On page 19 is the following family: Household # 1141
Head: Paul SAUCHUC 40, b Mar 1870, country of birth Bucovina immigrated 1900, Naturalised for 5 yrs. Polish Race, Canadian Nationality, Catholic Religion
Wife: Maria SAUCHUC 39, b Mar 1871, country of birth Bucovina immigrated 1900, Naturalised for 5 yrs. Polish Race, Canadian Nationality, Catholic Religion
Daughter: Barasca SAUCHUC 9, b Dec 1901, country of birth Saskachewan, Polish Race, Canadian Nationality, Catholic Religion
Daughter: Aneca SAUCHUC 7, b Oct 1904, country of birth Saskachewan, Polish Race, Canadian Nationality, Catholic Religion
Daughter: Cinara SAUCHUC 5, b May 1906, country of birth Saskachewan, Polish Race, Canadian Nationality, Catholic Religion
Daughter: Wasalena SAUCHUC 3. b Apr 1908, country of birth Saskachewan, Polish Race, Canadian Nationality, Catholic Religion

Paul & Maria's place of birth, is also the pob for others on the same page (some more clearly written).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bukovina
says: Bucovina is the Romanian form of the town's name.

In 1911, Paul is a farmer.
Their address Co-ordinate is: T24 R30 W1
There is also a notation:
In household 1141 the enumerator recorded the surname as "Sauchuc", a suggested alternative is "Sawczuk".
The following source(s) support this alternative: "Sk Homestead Index - Sawczuk, Paulo NW 30 24 30 W1".

The 1911 family looks promising - except it doesn't match the (unsourced)  IGI data....

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 May 09 05:10 BST (UK) »
Ah! The joys of researching a non-Anglo name.  ;)

The Saskatchewan Vital Statistics genealogy database (https://www.isc.ca/VitalStatistics/Genealogy/vsgs_srch.aspx)has the following birth:

Annie Shewchuk born 12 Jan 1902 in Macnutt, Saskatchewan. Parents are Wasyl Shewchuk and Anna Matiochook.

This is the only Ann (and variation) born in Macnutt in 1902 (+/- 2 years) in the database.

I couldn’t find any other Shewchuk children born in Macnutt. When I was searching I went as far as using the surname "begins with" feature and just entering an "s" and still couldn't find any other births that matched the ones listed in Ambly's post. You can order a copy of the certificate but they are really expensive ($50 Canadian).

I noticed that there is a pedigree file at the LDS site that lists Annie's parents as Paul Sowchuk and Mary Rotar (this one has Alberta and BC addresses listed for the 4 submitters and most of the details seem to match the pedigree submission Ambly found). In the Saskatchewan Vital Statistics genealogy database there was a birth for a Wasalena Sowerchuk in Logberg on 16 Jan 1907 with parents named Paul Sowerchuk and Maria Ratura.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline __tracy__

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 May 09 09:09 BST (UK) »
What a gem of information it is much appreciated thank you to the both of you for you time and effort  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tracy
Underwood~Lancashire  .......Lowe~Lancashire........Makin -Lancashire
Hallam~Lancashire........Forward~Lancashire.......Kennedy-Lancashire
Charlton~Manchester......Conway~Manchester/Ireland..Collins~Manchester
Kilcoyne~Manchester/Philli...............Knowles~Oldham...............Platt~Oldham...............Bailey~Oldham

Offline Wanda M

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 May 11 18:29 BST (UK) »
Hello -   
My grandmother was Waslena (Vaslena) Sowchuk and I believe the lady you are looking for was one of her family members.    I have heard my mother talking about the Roska family.
My grandmother died a number of years ago, but my mother and her sisters having been looking for family history and there are family in Saskatchewan and Alberta.
I shall be seeing my mother this weekend and shall provide her with this news.  If you contact me,  I'd be happy to talk with you.
Wanda M.