Author Topic: woodham  (Read 3128 times)

Offline mrsben

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
woodham
« on: Friday 29 May 09 16:36 BST (UK) »
I am looking for Albert E Woodham born 1884 in Gt Staughton hunts uk he was still in Melchbourne 1901 and in Canada 1911?? but I have found an Albert E Woodham died 1918 war would it be the same man ??? how do i find out please
Bedford,Milton Ernest, Gt Staughton &Canada -Woodham
Kempston- George, Dudley,Lincoln,Negus
Pertenhall Bedfordshire Barringham
Huntingdon-Stokes
Canada- Coleman

thenance333

Re: woodham
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 May 09 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is correct but there is someone with a tree on ancestry of
a Albert E. Woodham born March 27, 1884 Great Stoughton, Huntingshire. It says
he passed on Jan. 23, in Yorkton, Saskatchewan, Canada.

Says his parents were Thomas J. Woodham and Martha Harriet Edis.

Nancy     

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 May 09 00:18 BST (UK) »
I found Albert Woodham, 22, labourer on the Southwark which departed from Liverpool on 4 Apr 1907 and arrived in Halifax on 14 Apr 1907. His final destination was in Ontario but I can't read where. Here's a link to the image at Library and Archives Canada (he's near the middle):
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e148/e003699686.jpg

There is another passenger list entry for Albert Woodham, 27 on the Grampian which arrived in Halifax on 17 Feb 1911. He indicates that he was in Canada from 1907 to 1910 in Toronto and Toronto is his destination this time. Here's a link to the passenger list at LAC (he's on line 6):
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e148/e003685951.jpg

There are also border crossing documents for Albert Woodham crossing into the US at Detroit, Michigan on 7 Feb 1910. The documents indicate he was 26, born in Great Staughton, Huntaydonshire, England and was a farm labourer. His last permanent address was King, Ontario. The name of his nearest relative from where he came is his wife, Elizabeth Woodham, King, Ontario. It also says that he arrived in Halifax on the Southwark on 14 Apr 1907. By the way, King, Ontario is just north of Toronto and is now considered part of the Greater Toronto Area.

I found an incoming UK passenger list entry for A. Woodham, 28, farmer and Mrs. A. Woodham, 26, departing from Montreal on the Grampian and arriving in Glasgow on 17 Nov 1912. They say their last permanent residence had been in Canada but their future permanent residences are different. His says British possession while hers says England so it looks like they separated at this point.

There is another passenger list entry for Albert Woodham, 28, who arrived in Halifax, Nova Scotia on the Corsican on 28 Dec 1912. It indicates that he had been to Canada before but in the column where it asks when it looks like it says 5 weeks in Saskatchewan. His destination was Yorkton, Saskatchewan. Here is a link to the entry at LAC (he’s the last one on the page):
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e243/e006073135.jpg

There are entries on the 1911 Canada census and the 1916 census of Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta that have an Albert Woodham in Mackenzie, Saskatchewan. On the 1911 census, Albert is single, 27, born Mar 1883 in England, immigrated in 1892 and is a farm labourer. He is the household of Alonzo Decemeter(?). He’s a link to the image at LAC (he’s on line 34):
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/1911/pdf/e002096901.pdf

On the 1916 census, he is listed as Albert Woodham, helper, 32, single, born England, immigrated in 1906, farm labourer in the household of David Stewart.

It is possible that his marital status was incorrectly given as "single" and his immigration year on the 1911 census as it is not uncommon for the information of a boarder to be wrong. I couldn't find Elizabeth on the 1911 census though.

The family tree Nancy found indicates that Albert and Elizabeth had a son named Eric who was born in England which would be consistent if Elizabeth stayed in England. It also indicates that Elizabeth was sometimes known as Effie. With that in mind, I found a passenger list entry for the Missanabie which arrived in Saint John, New Brunswick on 7 Jan 1917 that has Effie Woodham, 30, going to Yorkton, Saskatchewan with son, Eric, 4. Effie indicates she had been in Canada before in 1912 in Yorkton.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 May 09 00:41 BST (UK) »
I took a look at the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website and there is an entry for an Albert Edward Woodham who died 16 Apr 1918 who died at the age of 24. It says he was the son of H. C. Woodham and Louisa M. Woodham, of 72 Arica Rd., Brockley, London. Here's a link to the entry at their website:
http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=328729

By the way, the Albert in the family tree that Nancy mentions died in 1948.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline mrsben

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 May 09 13:29 BST (UK) »
 Many Thanks for all your help it was much appreciated now I know where to look. :)
Bedford,Milton Ernest, Gt Staughton &Canada -Woodham
Kempston- George, Dudley,Lincoln,Negus
Pertenhall Bedfordshire Barringham
Huntingdon-Stokes
Canada- Coleman