Author Topic: Pruning  (Read 3460 times)

Offline Paul Caswell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me in my natural state
    • View Profile
Re: Pruning
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 May 09 17:23 BST (UK) »
I considered that leighton and in this case decided not to in most cases. I may have been mistaken. I did keep a few parents that were particularly significant, like when two children married into two different lines.

I did keep the original so perhaps I will put some more of them back.

Paul
Caswell - Durham(Jarrow), Northumberland(Berwick), Dorset(Netherbury)
Drury - Middlesex(Kensington), Shropshire(Oswestry/Selattyn)
Turner - Dorset(Parkstone)
Speight - Essex(Braintree), Kent(Gravesend), Westmorland(Kendal)
Stockley - Dorset(Corfe Castle)
Amey - Suffolk(Haverhill)
Cousins - Norfolk(Ketteringham)
Sears - Bedfordshire(Potton), Cambridgeshire(Gamlingay)
Census information is Crown Copyright

Offline Roger The Hat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 May 09 17:44 BST (UK) »
I'm fairly new to the hobby so my opinion might not be as valid, but.........

If I'd enjoyed researching for many years, and found an interest in the lives of people past, then I wouldn't want to discard any of it!

Roger The Hat

Offline Paul Caswell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me in my natural state
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 May 09 18:19 BST (UK) »
Don't do yourself down Roger. It is that feeling that makes this process so difficult.

I feel I need to focus on just those parts that are important to me or I will never find out enough about any of them to satisfy my curiosity. I hope this pruning process will focus my attention.

Paul
Caswell - Durham(Jarrow), Northumberland(Berwick), Dorset(Netherbury)
Drury - Middlesex(Kensington), Shropshire(Oswestry/Selattyn)
Turner - Dorset(Parkstone)
Speight - Essex(Braintree), Kent(Gravesend), Westmorland(Kendal)
Stockley - Dorset(Corfe Castle)
Amey - Suffolk(Haverhill)
Cousins - Norfolk(Ketteringham)
Sears - Bedfordshire(Potton), Cambridgeshire(Gamlingay)
Census information is Crown Copyright

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 May 09 20:03 BST (UK) »
I never do 5 and 7 (unless they appear elsewhere in the tree, as sometimes they do as when a brother and sister have married a sister and brother, if you see what I mean).

But

If I had been following them, I would probably remove them from my main tree but keep them as a separate tree file.  You sometimes hear of connections emerging way back, and anyway it might be of interest to somebody else one day.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline robbo43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kathie 1932 - 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 May 09 21:40 BST (UK) »
I record ancestors, their siblings plus siblings partners and children, but not siblings partners parents nor siblings childrens children.  Keeps it reasonably compact but includes relatives who may turn up in a range of records confirming ids & background..

Robert
FLOOD - Exeter, Middlesex.  DAVEY - Norfolk, Herts, West Ham.  MILLS - Hampshire.  GARLAND - Sussex.  BRIGHT - Hampshire, GULLIVER - Hampshire, Sussex, London.  NOCKELS - Norfolk.  POMEROY - Exeter.  RANDALL - Sussex, Surrey.  REYNOLDS - Cambridgeshire.  BOWYER - Cambridgeshire & Suffolk.  STUPPELL - Kent.  MISSEN - Cambridgeshire.  TAYLOR - Cambridgeshire.  TOWNSEND - London.  CURTIN - London, GIBBONS - Suffolk, BROWN - Suffolk, SWALE(S) - Yorkshire, GAIN - Sussex

Offline ssc1958

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 31 May 09 00:49 BST (UK) »
Just the thought of pruning has me turning pale :)  I'm fairly new at this and I don't want to lose any information that I've collected.  I have a tree of everything that I can find that links in any way and then I have a separate tree for both of my parents families.  As I validate the information I find I add that information to the permanent tree.  I figure that cd's are pretty inexpensive, if I run out of room, I'll buy more  ::)

Part of my rationale for keeping everything is that as I collect information, is that I'll be able to produce that information for my cousins or in-laws as a gift.  Family information is priceless!

Regards,
Carey

Names of interest are recorded in the Surname Interests Table.

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 31 May 09 02:18 BST (UK) »
Hello all, I feel compelled to share with you a very recent situation in my family. I'll try to keep it brief, but it is convoluted AND true! Briefly, one of my Mother's first cousins recently passed away. She was an only child who had never married nor had she had any children. She left NO will.  If no heirs were found, the entire estate would have reverted to the State. Fortunately, ours is a family in which most of the couples have/had many children, except for her parents.  The estate nows belongs to ALL siblings and their descendants of BOTH her Mother and Father - deceased. Fortunately, I had valuable information on her Father's family -- not my direct blood BUT they were also entitled to their fair share.  All of her Mother's relatives live in the USA however, her Father's family had 3 total siblings come to the USA and several more were left in the "old country."  When our family was first contacted by "legal representatives" some of my rellies were very suspicious.  They contacted me and I was able to not only verify that this was a legitimate issue but I was also able to provide some dates and places which are helping expedite the estate being settled.  So, I guess the moral the story for me is that I keep all data in my data base on collateral persons that I find because, YOU NEVER KNOW when someone may need it!  :) And, it's a bonus if it involves getting part of an estate settlement.  Although that is a practical reason for keeping all collected data, I am sentimental and simply could not discard someone's information.  Sorry this was a bit long, but it seemed quite apropos to the question of pruning...Pat
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 31 May 09 02:54 BST (UK) »
I don't think anyone is advocating "throwing the baby out with the bathwater".  After all, what we (most of us) are doing is creating family trees, not attempting to create a history of everyone who has ever come in contact with our relatives.

Much of what the original poster has gathered can probably more efficiently be kept in notes, a function of every family tree software I have seen.  I do this myself, without cluttering up my direct lines with extraneous detail.  It is still accessible at anytime.

To see the insanity of what manic name collecting can do, look at some of the trees on worldconnect.  Plug in any name and start looking through the trees.  I guarantee that you will be astounded by the number of people who have 20,000, 50,000, 100,000, even 250,000 names in their "families".  If you spend some time exploring descendant trees you will see more dead-ends than relevant connections.

I don't know what to call this, but it sure ain't family history.

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 31 May 09 05:22 BST (UK) »
Boy will I have trouble pruning, I even have my neighbours (of my ancestors) details  ;D ;D

Well, they are only on paper filing anyway ::)
Simpson-Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Overend-Sutton, Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Whitaker - Cononley/Yorkshire, Pickard - Silsden/Yorkshire, Howarth - Skipton/Yorkshire and Lancashire, Heaton-Yorkshire, Preston-Yorkshire, Myers-Yorkshire & Australia, Wild-Yorkshire & Australia. Storey-Middlesex/Australia