Author Topic: SS Bray Head  (Read 5366 times)

Offline Whiteheader

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SS Bray Head
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 March 17 03:35 GMT (UK) »
Attaching a picture of the ship, one that shows one of the life boats.  Its from a book by W. J. Harvey about the Head Line.  I have fragmentory biographies of a few of the men lost in this sinking.  For Captain Hoy I have more, including the surprising, dreadful toll of losses at sea for his family in peace time in the decades before the war.  John Curry Hoy - some confusion over the spelling of his middle name.  The grave stone for Margaret Hoy (nee Margaret Brown Gibb, Carnmoney Cemetery) and their infant daughter has added text from his death in 1917 spelling it "Corry".  He was a Freemason, Castletown Lodge No. 181. 

Offline Magee123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 December 18 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I found out today that my great great uncle died on this ship. His name was Charles McFarlane and he was from Belfast. We have his photo, medal and the last letter he sent from Canada before leaving for home.

Offline dermottje

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 December 18 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi I was interested in your post about your great great uncle and the Bray Head. I have done some research into the sinking of the ship and have a couple of documents relating to it including the ship's crew list, which lists Charles McFarlane, if you were interested. Would it be possible to get a copy of his photo and the letter ?

Offline Magee123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 17 December 18 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi I was interested in your post about your great great uncle and the Bray Head. I have done some research into the sinking of the ship and have a couple of documents relating to it including the ship's crew list, which lists Charles McFarlane, if you were interested. Would it be possible to get a copy of his photo and the letter ?

Hi,

That would be great if you were able to send any documents you have. My grandfather, Gerry McFarlane, has the photo and the letter so I'll get copies of them when I see him tomorrow. Do you have an email address I can forward them to?

Thanks,
Ryan

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Do you have an email address I can forward them to?

Make another post, then you can use the private message option. RootsChatters aren't allowed to post their email addresses on the forum.
You can simply reply to this saying "OK".
Cowban

Offline Magee123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Do you have an email address I can forward them to?

Make another post, then you can use the private message option. RootsChatters aren't allowed to post their email addresses on the forum.
You can simply reply to this saying "OK".

Ok