Author Topic: Bradmore wolverhampton, Gunmakers and Church Road  (Read 94658 times)

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Bradmore wolverhampton, Gunmakers and Church Road
« on: Monday 01 June 09 00:04 BST (UK) »
Hi there, firstly.. does anyone know of any detailed maps of bradmore in around the 1880's? I have a great great great uncle living at number 3 church road, he was a gun lock maker, next to what is now the Gunmakers pub!... but from what I see, little of the now church road existed then... but church road did have a number of houses...the gunmakers was actually in trysul road on the corner of church road but one map shows it as being a lil further down and on the opposite side of trysul road? which leads to question 2... does anyone know where the first... bradmore gunmakers pub actually was? I have a 1913 pic of it a lil more off the corner of church road, but as I say it seems it moved around a lil lol Also havelock place, the street behind the gunmakers is actually in a different spot as well!...

any ideas anyone? lol

I wonder if anyone has any photos of that end of church road and or gladstone terrace in the 1880's or thereabouts?
Smith, Tolley, Griffiths,
Monaghan, Richards, Clark, Clarke,
Brazier, Filben, Fibben,Filbin
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon
Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, Bilston, Kent, London, Middlesex

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
Re: Bradmore wolverhampton, Gunmakers and Church Road
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 June 09 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
I expect you've seen the maps on the following site, but just in case:
http://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.htm
There are ones from 1880 to 1903 - not terribly detailed; but they do show the pub's location.
Can't find anything else online, I'm afraid - I expect the best on in the Wolverhampton archives. They may also have a phot of the old pub.
Hope the research is going well.
Take care,
Paulene :)

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 June 09 00:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you willow (lovely to see you again!, steals a cuddle hehe) I had looked at old maps site but im clicking on your link for a second look lol...
Id love to find more out about the church road area, but... its not easy, yes I'll have a look again in the archives next time im up there... My research has slowed a lot lately, lots of possibles but.... lol and My Ireland lot are proving to be lil buggers to find LOL

Thanks again willow:)
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 June 09 00:16 BST (UK) »
Wonders if anyone on here has any old pics of church road too? Id love to see them if they do
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon

Offline Uplands

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 August 09 23:34 BST (UK) »
I have just joined this site and am interested in anything to do with Wolverhampton.
I was born in Uplands Ave, Bradmore in 1936 and although the Gunmakers arms was in its present place in those days it was originally on the opposite side of Trysull Rd where the existing car park is now situated.
The Bradmore hotel was also on the opposite side to where it is now and was where the Bradmore shops are presently situated.
If I can help you any more just ask. I can dig out an old 1901 map and do a couple of scans for you.

Regards, Bob.

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 August 09 14:12 BST (UK) »
Well firstly, welcome to rootschat Bob!, its a wonderful site im sure you'll find it as helpful as i do!...

And thank you for the info!, I too was born in Bradmore, and still live here  lol, tho for me it was only 1971.. My mom too, was norn in Bradmore, in 1933

I knew that the gunmakers was previously,the last of the terrace houses that are still there to the side of the pub, (in the trysul road side) and I have a pic of it being there in 1913 (with the pub as it is now, being re-built in the 20's)

But I never knew about it having been on the opposite side of the road, but had always wondered why they had that small car park over the road while they also had that big car park to the rear of the pub (and they have now built two houses on half of the big rear car park!) and im now even more curious at to which, where, number 3 would actually have been... is the current number 3 church road the original? if so, what hapenne to number 1 and 2 LOL, Yes I did know of the Bradmore switching sides, but what you have told me of the gunmakers now ... I hadnt heard before!

I was telling my mom of it this morn, and she also told me that besides that lil car park, where wenlock ave now sits, used to be...(when she was around 15) a wide dirt track/path with bushes to its side, that led into a great big field, there was a shed in the field too apparently, and walking up the path, (as if walking up wenlock) she thinks to the right there were also gardens with a big house, possibly a timber one... Im wondering if this was an original farm that was there? or a remainder of it...
I have an 1880s map that shows that wenlock patch, as being called Havelock Place (today I guess that is remembered by the road opposite, Maple road leading into Havelock Place)
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 August 09 14:18 BST (UK) »
And on the 1880s map, the gunmakers does appear... to be on the opposite side of the map, in the lil car park area...

And also, this field called havelock place... to its right, are what appears to be gardens, then a small rear lane before it meets the houses and gardens of the adjoining broad lane, it also has there a name "The Fernerry", maybe that was the house mom vaguely rememebrs?... anyone know what a fernerry is? was?

OOPS SORRY, THE MAP IS 1890, NOT 1880
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 August 09 14:23 BST (UK) »
but also... on the corner of church road, where the current pub is... the shapes of the buildings on the corner on the map, are the same shape as the pub that was there in 1913 (I would post the pic of the pub here but im not sure if im allowed to do that?)
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 August 09 14:28 BST (UK) »
oh and as to the offers of the scans, yes please!
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon