Author Topic: Rose Ann BRIGGS and George GULLIDGE  (Read 18841 times)

Offline Jules0912

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rose Ann BRIGGS and George GULLIDGE
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 05:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

I have only recently discovered this site, and the thread of Catherine Sinclair nee Briggs.  Catherine & William are my 3rd GG Parents from my father's line (Sinclair). 

William and Catherine had several children, who in turn had fairly large families, settling in and around the Bendigo area Victoria.  There are plenty of cemetery index references in Victoria. 

Can anyone shed any light on the death of William Sinclair (B. Circa 1812?). Various family tree records have 1866 then later in the 1880s. I can find no reference to any marriage between Catherine and John Martin, with Catherine Sinclair listed as the mother of James, and Catherine Briggs listed for other children.  I believe Catherine died in Yass, NSW, and was buried there. She is recorded as Catherine Margaret Sinclair. 

I would appreciate any information  on Catherine and more particularly, the Sinclair line if anyone has anything.  Happy to share whatever information I have gained also.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 07:31 GMT (UK) »
You may already have this - there is, apparently, a headstone for Catherine at the Yass cemetery which has been transcribed as follows:
Sinclair Catherine died 23.8.1910 aged 82 years. Erected by Mr and Mrs G Martin, Mr and Mrs G Locke and Mrs R Banfield.
Sinclair Catherine died 23.8.1910 aged 82 years. Erected by son and daughter Mr and Mrs G Martin. Also Mrs Banfield.

Transcription from this site:
http://members.webone.com.au/~sgrieves/cemeteries_australia.htm#Sainsbury

These are the names of her married daughters and her son as given in previous posts.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jules0912

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 04:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Catherine Briggs married William Sinclair in Encounter Bay (near Victor Harbour) in May 1848. Her parents and siblings (and possibly her son, William Briggs) arrived on the Poictiers in Nov 1848, just ahead of the birth of her second son (and my ancestor), William John Sinclair.  William and Catherine moved to Echuca in Victora and had 2 more children, daughters Margaret and Anges, the latter killed in an accident aged 3 or 4.  Catherine and William appear to have gone their separate ways (not sure why???) with Catherine entering into a relationship with John Martin, having more children with him.  She is buried in Yass, NSW but under the name of Catherine Sinclair.  I have not been able to find any marriage certificate for Catherine and John Martin, assuming that no formal divorce  or death of William John occured.  Would love any information that you could share on the  Briggs family though.

Jules0912

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 05:18 GMT (UK) »
Trove has a Return Thanks notice published in the Yass Courier, 30 August, 1910, from "Mrs A Banfield and family" for expressions of sympathy tendered to them on the death of Mrs Sinclair
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/246631288
An earlier post by Zel gives this information:
Mary Ann is also known as Mrs Banfield

As I said in the previous post Catherine is buried at Yass and it is the town where her death was registered.

There are two entries in the NSW BMD index, both with the same reg no

11858/1910
Catherine SINCLAIR  father: JOHN, 82 YRS,  YASS, registered YASS
Catherine  SINCLAIR, father: JOHN, WIFE OF WILLIAM SINCLAIR, registered YASS

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jules0912

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Judith

The registration in NSW BDM certainly applies to Catherine Sinclair (nee Briggs). The John is of course her father, John Briggs who died in Mintaro, SA. 

i have a Henry John Sinclair in my family tree (Ancestry) who was born around 1845 /45 in Oundle, near Winwick in Northampton, UK.  The listing is for a Henry Ruddifer Briggs, with Catherine as the mother, no father listed.  Informant was John Briggs, Grandfather (of Henry).

I cannot find any further record of Henry, other than to assume that he became Henry John Sinclair.  The death certificate for same lists mother as Catherine Briggs and William Sinclair as the father, yet Henry was born prior to both William and Catherine meeting (one assumes since William hailed from Larkshire, Scotland).  Do you have any information on this Henry to confirm that he is one and the same?  I think in 1848 after William and Catherine were married but before their son William John was born, that Henry simply became known as Henry Sinclair.  Don't think colonial records were that specific. 

Can I ask if you are related through Catherine?  If so, we are distant relatives!

Julie

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 09:02 GMT (UK) »
 :)  From the NSW Electoral Roll of 1902 (ie the first to include females)

NSW ER 1902 WERRIWA, polling at Yass
May Ann BANFIELD, of Yass Junction, domestic duties
Richard BANFIELD, of Yass Junction, fettler

In that era, Werriwa covered a very large area:
 :)  to the north West ... Cook's Hill 
 :)  to the north ... Porters Retreat
 :)  to the east ... Marulan
 :)  to the south east ... Larbert
 :)  to the south ... south of Bungendore
 :)  to the south west ... Goodradigbee district

JM  PS Werriwa refers to Lake George  :)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Sands Directories 1909
NSW Country
Mrs A BANFIELD,  Royal Hotel, Yass.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.