Author Topic: Rose Ann BRIGGS and George GULLIDGE  (Read 18782 times)

Offline bertoli22

• RootsChat Member
  • Ellen McManus c1840 - 1903
    • View Profile
Re: Rose Ann BRIGGS and George GULLIDGE
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 June 09 02:29 BST (UK) »
Good idea Cando, thanks.
I'll write today.
ciao bertoli

Offline bertoli22

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 June 09 02:34 BST (UK) »
I'll check out the ref numbers and get back.  Winwick is tricky because it is in two counties -Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire.

John & Ann with chn John, Catherine and Rosannah and Burrows Butler were in one place  and George aged 11 was working as a servant in another

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 June 09 02:43 BST (UK) »
That's OK..no need...you have four of the five names.  Would have been wonderful if their names had been in The South Australian Register  from which the online passenger records were compiled. 

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bertoli22

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 June 09 03:03 BST (UK) »
John, Ann & children plus Burrows Butler (may be Ann's father). Robert Briggs publican +Ann and Elizabeth may also be family

Class: HO107; Piece 451; Book: 13; Civil Parish: Winwick; County: Huntingdonshire; Enumeration District: 17; Folio: 6; Page: 3; Line: 22; GSU roll: 288837.

George:
Class: HO107; Piece 808; Book: 13; Civil Parish: Winwick; County: Northamptonshire; Enumeration District: 17; Folio: 3; Page: 3; Line: 9; GSU roll: 438880.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 03:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the census regs.

I wonder if there were any further BRIGGS births or even deaths of children prior to emigration. Catherine has not been found in the SA records so perhaps she may have died and perhaps the 5 children included a child born between the census and emigration to SA.

I am now wondering what further help you require?  Do you wish to follow the GALLOWAY line in NSW or the BRIGGS in SA?

You initially requested help with descendants of Rose Ann BRIGGS and George GULLIDGE and the only child seems to be Selina.

Cheers
Cando

Offline bertoli22

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 04:52 BST (UK) »
Hi cando
Thanks for your help.  I have spent many hours trying to trace these Briggs.  There are many Briggs in SA but I haven't been able to find any from the same family who are interested in family history. SA is also an expensive place to buy BDM certs -and I've bought many.
I thought that if this time I concentrated on one child at a time I may have more luck.
I sent the person who pm'd me sometime back re Rose Ann Briggs quite a bit of info about the Briggs and was hoping that they might reciprocate but no luck even though they were descendants.
I have sent letters to Gullidge and Galloway families as suggested and am crossing my fingers. 
I'm continuing to try to trace the Briggs but should really post another topic sometime as you and Jen have kindly answered this question.
Thanks heaps
 bertoli

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 07:30 BST (UK) »
Isn't it disappointing when you are kind enough to give information and receive nothing in return.  Fortunately my family is very small and none seem all that interested, so I just plod along. ;D

I think we could press on with the BRIGGS on this thread and there is already quite a bit of info here ie if you want to.

The South Australian Genealogy & Heraldry Society on Unley Road, now offer a transcription service $15 per cert, and the transcription is emailed to you.  There is a request form on their website
http://www.saghs.org.au/research.htm#transcription

I think we all know the feeling of purchasing an incorrect cert :( :( :'( :'(

Cheers
Cando 

Offline bertoli22

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 09:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Cando
I'd love to keep on with the Briggs if that's ok. I just didn't want to be greedy with requests.  thanks heaps
bertoli

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 09:27 BST (UK) »
OK....how can we help with the BRIGGS line?

Cheers
Cando