Author Topic: Could this grave be in NZ-COMPLETED WITH THANKS  (Read 11181 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Could this grave be in NZ
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 07 June 09 09:50 BST (UK) »

see if anyone can access the cemetery records   ....

Yes, an offer to look up the cemetery record, has already been made.    :)

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 07 June 09 10:43 BST (UK) »
sorry Lu
my post was made before you posted you would look it up, didn't get the little red warning notice
Bye
Althea

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 07 June 09 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Althea

That's okay     :)   :)   :)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 07 June 09 13:07 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 08 June 09 12:34 BST (UK) »
Firstly, three cheers for Althea who located the cemetery record.     :)   :)   :)

Hi Annette

Yes, mystery solved !

The monument to "William Thomas SMITH" is indeed at the Onehunga Roman Catholic Churchyard of the Church of Our Lady of the Assumption, corner of Church and Victoria Streets, Onehunga, Auckland, New Zealand.   

Row 12 - Plot 56  "To the memory of William Thomas SMITH who died 4 April 1876, aged 75 years.   [Verse]   Erected by his loving daughter Tassie M. Davies".

There was a note on the cemetery microfiche record which stated :    "Auckland Central Library holds copies of the early registers for this Parish in respect of baptisms, confirmations, marriages and burials.   Burials listed are from 1849 to 1903".
[So it may be worthwhile getting in touch with the library to see if there is any additional information in the burial register ? ] 

Lu

Edit:     9 October  -  Amendment to original statement regarding "Thomas William SMITH being buried at this cemetery".     As his death registration details have not yet been located by NZ BMD, it cannot at this stage be assumed that he is actually buried in this plot.    It may be that the plot referred to, only contains the monument.   ??

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 08 June 09 12:55 BST (UK) »
Hi again Annette

Gosh, I do hope that our NZ BDM can find the death record for you .  :)

Thought I'd just make a suggestion though.    [I haven't personally ordered any records since our BDM went online in mid-January and the self-search facility became available. But it used to be the policy, that if BDM performed a search for you, then there was a charge of some $15 or so.  Not sure if that still applies ?]

Anyway, to avoid any search fee, suggest you use the "contact us" button on the BDM website and tell them that you have the burial details ... and then ask ("cheekily") why it is, the death registration for William Thomas, doesn't appear in their online listings.    (It might just work and save you some $$$).    :D

http://bdmhistoricalrecords.identityservices.govt.nz/home/

From 1876 there is quite good info to be had from NZ death records.   (See the Resources section on this board re: "BDM Information".    And if you are purchasing, be sure to order a "printout", which generally gives more detail.)

Best of luck.    :)

Lu

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 08 June 09 20:37 BST (UK) »
Well done Lu
I was trying to find it on google maps but couldn't tell, I see a church further alng the street, there is a large open space by corner of Victoria and Church streets

I wonder if the alternative is that is is "just" a memorial monument
Re the death not listed, BMD under the new system did a search for free for me last month because they found an error in database, so fingers crossed they wouldn't charge

Bye
Althea

Offline acookey

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • Katherine Pasley
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 08 June 09 23:27 BST (UK) »
Wow, thank you both Althea and Lu.  This is another brick to tumble on a brick wall.

Will follow up your suggestions re BDM and Library.

I will let you know of any results.

Very happy :) ;D

Annette
RIP 2011
Cooke, Aust. England
Russell, Aust. Enland
McMinn, Ireland
Gee, Ireland
Crump, London
Bowen (Bohan), Ireland
Seage, Ireland
Smith, Aust.
Dore, Ireland
Pasley, Ireland
Simmonds, England

Offline acookey

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • Katherine Pasley
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 03:07 BST (UK) »
Hi all

My fellow researcher did an exact date search for 4/4/1876 and came up with Thomas Dillon Smith 1876/180, and I also found deaths for William Thomas Smith in 1871 and 1874.

Have contacted NZ BMD following is the latest reply:

"I would  say that it is unlikely that there would be 2 deaths on the same day for 2 people where the names are so similar. It could be that the  person informing us of the death did not know the correct name of the deceased.

We have had occasions such as yours where people have a cemetery record but we do not have a death record. The responsibility to register the death is with the person organising the funeral etc so if we are not provided with a registration at the time, we are not able to add it the database unless the person in charge is still alive and can provide documentation.

The only other way for you to check our records is to search through the BDM microfiche which are held by some libraries and if you find the folio number then we can check that particular record."

So we are still in the dark.  I am unable to get to a major library, and I don't know whether the local genealogy society has NZ information.  Will try to find out.

Cheers

Annette
RIP 2011
Cooke, Aust. England
Russell, Aust. Enland
McMinn, Ireland
Gee, Ireland
Crump, London
Bowen (Bohan), Ireland
Seage, Ireland
Smith, Aust.
Dore, Ireland