Author Topic: Castle Hill Street Wexford  (Read 30194 times)

Offline CatB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Castle Hill Street Wexford
« Reply #18 on: Monday 07 September 09 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

the family are

Patrick Furlong coachdriver born 1864
Mary Furlong 1866
Patrick Furlon 1894
Mary Furlong 1896
Christina Furlong 1895
Maggie  Furlong 1899
John Furlong 1900
Mark Furlong 1903
Charles Furlong 1905

My grandmother Annastacia Furlong was at this time in Dublin, her sister Molly was not living at home at the time of the 1911 census.  Havn't found them on the 1901, but will look when I go to Wexford in July. 

Carol
Hi
Maybe a long shot but I saw your post while I was searching the Forum. We have an Annastacia Furlong in our family who was the sister of my grandmother. I don't have a lot of info a the minute as I've been focusing on finding information on my grandfather.

I'll have to give my parents a call to find out a bit more info.

Do you have any more info?

Cat x

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 00:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Cat

thanks for the message.  I am actually lucky to have found what little I have as my grandmother died quite young age 47 when my dad was just 13.  He never spoke of his family or relatives in Wexford.  All I have is that Annastacia was born in in Wexford, the family lived in Castlehill Street (Kevin Barry St). Her Father was a coachman.  Her Siblings are as named.  She went to Bray in County Wicklow to work in a large house as a domestic where she met and married my grandfather James O'Grady in 1912 in Rathdown.  they moved up to Dublin in the same year and lived in Drommond Avenue in Sandymount Dublin, they lived there for a short while then moved to a house nearby also in Sandymount....no 2 Seaforth Villas.  My Grandfather was manager of a nearby shop, and then a gardener.  Annastascia died of a brain bleed, she actually collapsed in the street in 1947.  Would be great if you did have any information as I never knew any of my Dads family.

Carol
O'GRADY - DUBLIN,TIPPERARY,& ENGLAND
DOOLEY - TIPPERARY, CO LAOIS
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
HARRIS- CLARE, CORK, & ENGLAND
BLANEY, DOYLE FURLONG -  WEXFORD
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

OTHER NAME INTERESTS - MORAN ,CORBETT, LILLIS, MCGERRY, MCNAMARA, MCGRANE, BRENNAN.....All County Clare & Scattery Island

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 00:05 BST (UK) »
HI Cat

missed a bit ....usually do !  there was another sibling named Annie Furlong, she also moved up to Bray at some point.  There were also 3 other siblings but I havn't found out their names yet, I need to get a cop of the 1901 census to find out who they were.

Carol
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

OTHER NAME INTERESTS - MORAN ,CORBETT, LILLIS, MCGERRY, MCNAMARA, MCGRANE, BRENNAN.....All County Clare & Scattery Island

Offline CatB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 11:02 BST (UK) »
HI Cat

missed a bit ....usually do !  there was another sibling named Annie Furlong, she also moved up to Bray at some point.  There were also 3 other siblings but I havn't found out their names yet, I need to get a cop of the 1901 census to find out who they were.

Carol

Hi Carol

Thanks for the reply.

It was the name Furlong that got me going as my grandmother's sister married a Furlong and because the name Annastacia is quite unusual I thought they may be one of the same.

The info I have is Annastacia died in 1966 aged 59 and lived at 19 Antelope Road, Maudlintown, Wexford. So I'm reckoning it's not the same person. Murphy was her maiden name. I'm not sure how many brother's and sisters she had but she defo had a sister called Mary as Mary married my grandfather James Murphy.

Sorry if I've not been of much help. It really is needle in haystacks isn't it?

Cat

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 17:06 BST (UK) »
HI Cat

Seems there not related eh ?  yep its like a needle in a haystack....at first anyway, keep going though you will eventually find loads of needles....good luck
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 04 July 10 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Cog

Not sure if you're still trying to identify the exact house your Furlong relatives were living in but bear in mind that the enumerator would have walked along the road handing out the forms to each household in a methodical way. He would have started at one end of the road and worked his way to the other. The first handed out is schedule no 1 and so on until the last household - No 18 at the other end of the road. (it's unlikely he would walk down one side and then up the other for such a short road as he just ends up back where he started)

Household No 18 was a public house and so whichever end of the street the pub was at is the end he walked towards. As your relatives are resident at 'schedule No 12' you can logically dismiss more than one half of the street as you can assume they lived nearer the pub. It doesn't identify the exact house and it's not fool proof but it helps narrow it down a little bit.

Dalton: Wexford Town/Ireland
Curran: Ballyvaloo/Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Clowery/Farrell: Wexford Town/Ireland
Flood: Enniscorthy & Wexford/Ireland
Ormand/Kirwan: Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Shortman: Bristol/Westbury-on-Trym/Manchester
Trull: Uley/Dursley/Glos
Cross: Dursley/Glos
Hazard: Bristol/Manchester

Offline nickr90

• RootsChat Member
  • I write extensively on the history of Wexford town
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 04 July 10 21:14 BST (UK) »
Not really answering your question but for what it's worth:
Castle Hill Street

Origins and Meaning
The older name of Castle Hill Street is said to come from Wexford Castle later replaced by the military barracks of Barrack Street. The hill above the castle leading to The Faythe was referred to as Castle Hills around 1840. Another tradition referred to Taylor’s Castle a house and estate that stood between this hill and the seafront but this would give a much later naming. Taylor's Castle was built around 1775 in use in 1840, still standing in 1903 but mostly demolished, between then and 1941.
The current official name refers to the Irish patriot Kevin Barry made famous in a song of the same name. The name was originally changed in September 1920. In 1932 a plebiscite was taken to legalise this decision.

Earliest Mentions
The street is extant but not named in early maps.
The houses are depicted in a map of 1831, before the opening of Parnell Street.

Buildings
James Furlong purchased five houses in Castle Hill Street for £ 500.
In Griffith’s Valuation this is simply called Castle Hill. Of fifteen houses noted, most are on land owned by Patience Tottenham or the reps of John Hughes. James Carr owned the other plot.

People and Events
The record for 1864 show among the 37 ships masters in Wexford John Hore of Castle Street this was either Castle Hill Street or Barrack Street.

Other
A church dedicated to St. Michael was located at the top of Castle Hill Street. This incorporated the Norse burial ground outside the walls.
Wexford Town Rossiter Sludds Ratigan Lowney Social History

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 12 July 10 09:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Shorts and Nickr90

Thanks so much for the information, just catching up with mail have just arrived back after being in wexford for a wedding, had a brilliant time.

All information is greatly received  ;)

Carol
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi.  Last week I found my grandfather, John Walsh and his family at 1 Castlehill street in the 1901 census.  I have been searching for ages to find out where they moved after King Street.  I can't find them in the 1911 so the search goes on.  Thing that made me take notice was the mention of the Furlong family.  My gt.grandmothers maiden name was Furlong and it is the side of my family I know least about.  Anne
Wexford Town..
Harpur. O'Rourke. Foley. Walsh. Furlong.