Author Topic: Castle Hill Street Wexford  (Read 30179 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Castle Hill Street Wexford
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 June 09 19:08 BST (UK) »
these references are plot number (or site numbers) and generally match up with the reference numbers used originally by Griffiths Valuation.

In many cases these were used as house numbers in Cities and Towns in later years.

Griffiths shows a Castle Hill in Wexford, which looks to be the same address and it contains 17 houses (the 1911 Census has 18)

Griffiths link : http://www.rootschat.com/links/06g0/

I'd say it's possible that the '12' reference followed through from Griffiths in 1853 to the 1911 Census as far as today.

It may be possible to check into this using the map feature on the askaboutireland site

do anyone know how many houses are on Castle Hill today ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Oaks and Acorns

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 June 09 22:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the correction aghadowey.

I was under the same impression as Shane prior to making the above post.

Dara.

Offline nickr90

• RootsChat Member
  • I write extensively on the history of Wexford town
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 June 09 09:14 BST (UK) »
Forget numbers.
I know of one address in Castle Hill Street that was actuall 45 Kevin Barry Street.
There were never 45 houses there.
Nicky
Wexford Town Rossiter Sludds Ratigan Lowney Social History

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 06 June 09 07:25 BST (UK) »
There were 8 Furlongs killed in ww1 in the army and the navy. None as far as i can ascertain was from Castlehill.
Regards.
 Tom.

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 06 June 09 14:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much for your input.  I had seen the no 12 but realised this was a reference no, or plot no.  Nicky to find a no 45 when at the time of the 1911 census there were only 18 houses is quite frustrating really.  So it is possible that the no 12 could have been used as the door number as far as today is concerned ?!

Enfiled, I have Furlongs on both my Fathers side (Castle Hill) and also my my Mothers side (fro Broadway).  Broadway Furlongs did have a Furlong who served in France WW1, I have his Reg papers and medal rolls, confusingly enough for me ....this man was also Patrick Furlong !  ???

Wondering if a visit to the library in Wexford when I travel there might be able to help ?

Carol
O'GRADY - DUBLIN,TIPPERARY,& ENGLAND
DOOLEY - TIPPERARY, CO LAOIS
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
HARRIS- CLARE, CORK, & ENGLAND
BLANEY, DOYLE FURLONG -  WEXFORD
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

OTHER NAME INTERESTS - MORAN ,CORBETT, LILLIS, MCGERRY, MCNAMARA, MCGRANE, BRENNAN.....All County Clare & Scattery Island

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 06 June 09 14:18 BST (UK) »
You are very courteous, thank you.
Here are the Furlongs for your reference. They will appear in the 'Wexford War Dead' to be published next November.

FURLONG, EDWARD. Rank: Corporal. Regiment or Service: Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery. Unit: 38th Bde. Ammunition Column. Age at Death: 41. Date of Death: 30-July-1915. Service No: 15932. Born in Taghmon, Co Wexford. Enlisted in Wexford, Ireland. Supplementary information; Son of John and Annastatia Furlong of Foghmon, Co. Wexford; husband of Elizabeth Furlong of 48, Slievekeale, Waterford. Served in China ( 1900 ) and in the South African Campaign. Grave or Memorial Reference: I. G. 3. Cemetery: Poperinghe New Military Cemetery in Belgium.

FURLONG, JAMES. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Dublin Fusiliers.
Unit; 2nd Bn. Date of Death: 30-March-1918. Service No: 18527. Born in Piercestown, Co Wexford. Enlisted in Wexford while living in Redmondstown, Co Wexford. Killed in Action. From an article in a Wexford newspaper; Mrs Furlong, Talbot Street, Wexford, received news from the War Office on Thursday last, that her husband, Pte James Furlong, R. D. F., had been killed in action on March 30th. Pte Furlong volunteered in January 1915, and had been in France since May of that year.
 From an article in the Free Press, 1916; Private James Furlong, son of Mr James Furlong, Redmondstown, Johnstown, is serving with the Royal Dublin Fusiliers. He had been employed in Johnstown Castle, and after the outbreak of war he joined the colours. He has been in the trenches for over a year, and on his return to his native district a couple of weeks ago, when he was on a brief furlough, he was congratulated by his many friends on his survival of the many big encounters in which his regiment figured.
 Grave or Memorial Reference: VIII. G. 2. Cemetery: Heath Cemetery, Harbonnieres in France.

FURLONG, JAMES. Rank: Stoker. Regiment or Service: Royal Naval Reserve. Unit: H. M. S. "Indefatigable. ". Age at Death: 21. Date of Death: 31-May-1916. Service No: 5241S. Supplementary information; Son of Gregory and Margaret Furlong of Yoletown, Ballycullane, Co. Wexford. During the Battle of Jutland the German Battlecruiser Von Der Tann fired 11 inch shells at the Indefatigable. The first two entered ‘X’ magazine area and blew out the bottom of the ship and she began sinking by the stern. More 11 inch shells from the Van Der Tann destroyed ‘A’ turret and also blew up the forward magazine and she then sank. There were only two survivors of her crew of 1017 men.
 The Van Der Tann was scuttled in Scapa flow in June 1919. From and article in the Enniscorthy Guardian; Sergeant Thomas Furlong. Sergeant Thomas Furlong., Royal Welsh Fusiliers, was in Cardiff when the war broke out, and volunteered at once. He rose rapidly to the rank of Sergeant, and is at present engaged in one of the English Camps training the new recruits. He is a son of Mr Laurence Furlong, Yoletown, Ballycullane. Grave or Memorial Reference: 19. Memorial: Plymouth Naval Memorial UK.

FURLONG, JOHN. Rank: Gunner. Regiment or Service: Royal Garrison Artillery. Unit: 320th Siege Bty. Age at Death: 32. Date of Death: 15-December-1918. Service No: 31273. Supplementary information; Son of Francis and Mary Furlong of Wexford; husband of Elizabeth Jane Furlong of Rose Villa, Alfred Parade, St. James. Bristol. Grave or Memorial Reference: 819. Cemetery: Mikra British Cemetery, Kalamaria in Greece.

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 06 June 09 14:19 BST (UK) »
And;
FURLONG, JOSEPH, A. Rank: Lieutenant. Regiment or Service: U. S. Medical Reserve attached to the British Forces. From an article in the People, 1918; Lieut, Joseph A. Furlong of the U. S. A. Medical Reserve, attached to the British Forces, nephew of Mr Clement Furlong and Miss Agnes Furlong, Lough, Duncormack, who was also lost in the disaster. Lieut, Furlong, was eldest son of Mr Michael Furlong, formerly of Lough, now at St Louis, Missouri, U. S. A. He joined the Medical Reserve Corps of the U. S. A. Forces and was returning to take up his duties with his regiment after spending a short time in his fathers native district which he visited for the first time. The remains were removed from the 5th hospital, Arbour Hill, Dublin, and were conveyed to Wexford on Monday night by the seven train, the American flag enshrouding the coffin, and were received by a guard of honour of armed American sailors, his Worship, the Mayor (Ald, W. H. McGuire, J. P. ) wearing his chain of office, and eighteen members of the corporation, a large selection of the general public, and some members of the police force.
 They were borne from the mortuary van by members of the Major Redmond Memorial Committee. The funeral proceeded to the Church of the Immaculate Conception was a particularly sad spectacle. On reaching the Church the remains were received by Rev, Thos, Hore, Adm, and at the close of the ceremonies Mr Frank Breen, R. I. A. M. played the ‘Dead March in Saul’. On Tuesday after 10 o’clock Mass was offered up for the repose of his soul, the internment took place at Carrig-on-Bannow when there was a very large attendance of sorrowing friends and the general public. Rev, Thos, Hore. Adm, recited the prayers appropriate for the occasion before the remains were taken from the Church, and Rev, M. O’Sullivan, P. P. received them at the cemetery.
 The flag at Bannow Coastguard Station was at half mast. At the cemetery the U. S. A. detachment fired three volleys, and the Last Post was sounded. The chief mourners were—Messrs Clement Furlong, Lough, Duncormack (uncle), R, Murphy, Airhill; D, Scallan, Lough; Stephen Corish, Ballingly; Raymond Corish, Taghmon; P and T Furlong, Lacken; Philip Keating, M. C. C. ; Mrs Corish, Lough; and Mrs Scallan, Lough (cousins).
 Lieutenant Furlongs remains were identified by his uncle, Mr Clement Furlong, and his cousin, Mr R. P. Corish, amongst 149 victims of the disaster. It was Lieutenant Furlong’s intentions to return to Lough in a few days to spend the remainder of his holidays with his relatives.

FURLONG, L. Rank: Staff Sergeant. Regiment or Service: Royal Army Ordnance Corps. Unit: Ordnance Advanced Depot. Age at Death: 28. Date of Death: 04-August-1920. Service No: S/6942. Supplementary information; Son of William and Mary Furlong of Clongeen, Foulksmills, Wexford. Grave or Memorial Reference: VIII. F. 9. Cemetery: Baghdad ( North Gate ) War Cemetery in Iraq.

FURLONG, MICHAEL. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment. Unit: 2nd Bn. Date of Death; 15-October-1917. Service No: 4468. Born in St Marys, New Ross, Co Wexford. Enlisted in New Ross. Died. Grave or Memorial Reference: V. J. 13. Cemetery: Niederzwehren Cemetery in Germany.

FURLONG, WILLIAM. Rank: Gunner. Regiment or Service: Royal Marine Artillery. Unit: H. M. S. "Defence. " Age at Death: 24. Date of Death: 31-May-1916. Service No: RMA/12643. Supplementary information; Son of Anastasia Furlong of Crandaniel, Barntown, Wexford and the late John Furlong. H. M. S. Defence was an armoured cruiser and was sent to the bottom by the Naval guns of a German battlehip during the battle of Jutland. There were no survivors. Grave or Memorial Reference: 21. Memorial: Portsmouth Naval Memorial UK.

Click on this link for a photo of James;
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/clondaleek/193.jpg

Regards.
 Tom.

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 June 09 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Tom

Thank you so much for the military information, it must have taken ages to type.  Its very much appreciated.

Carol
O'GRADY - DUBLIN,TIPPERARY,& ENGLAND
DOOLEY - TIPPERARY, CO LAOIS
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
HARRIS- CLARE, CORK, & ENGLAND
BLANEY, DOYLE FURLONG -  WEXFORD
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

OTHER NAME INTERESTS - MORAN ,CORBETT, LILLIS, MCGERRY, MCNAMARA, MCGRANE, BRENNAN.....All County Clare & Scattery Island

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 June 09 14:44 BST (UK) »
Glad to help.
 Regards.
 Tom.