Author Topic: John Haughton - 'Gentleman farmer of Aghavadrin, Killeshandra'  (Read 3713 times)

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
  • My Mum & Dad - George & May Veighey
    • View Profile
John Haughton - 'Gentleman farmer of Aghavadrin, Killeshandra'
« on: Tuesday 02 June 09 16:41 BST (UK) »
I have just found another link in my family tree - John Haughton ( my ggggrandfather) was born  about 1774/5 and died 14th Dec 1846. This information has recently been provided someone who had came across some old information that had been gathered by a genealogist many years ago.

John had two children - Charles Haughton (my gggrandfather) who married Elizabeth Arnold and another son Richard. Charles and Richard's  mother was called Mary Anne but her maiden name is unknown.

Mary-Anne was born about 1786/ 1789/1790 and she died 6th Dec 1846 ( interestingly she died 8 days before her husband),  they got married in 1804.

Charles and Elizabeth Haughton (gggrandparents) are buried in Croghan Cemetry, Killeshandra.
I am not sure how these dates came about but any information would be very helpful.

Thanks

Margaret
Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline peter upton-davis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Haughton - 'Gentleman farmer of Aghavadrin, Killeshandra'
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 December 20 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Hullo I have just come across your old post from 2009 re John Haughton. Charles Edward Haughton/Houghton c 1830 emigrated to Australia c1850, his sister Harriett 18 yo followed in 1855 their father was George Haughton Newtowngore Killeshandra. Charles married my ggggreat aunt Sarah Davis from Cavan who emigrated to Australia with father Hugh Davis & mother Sarah in 1851
It seems reasonable to assume that they are related to your Charles Haughton given the localities. let me know if you think they are a match
best wishes
peter

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 December 20 06:38 GMT (UK) »
Only just spotted your post. They must be related somehow just not sure where to go from here.
I’ll keep hunting
Thanks🎅
Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Online LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 January 21 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi

If your ancestors were Church of Ireland, then Killeshandra’s Baptism, Marriage and Death Registers go back to 1735 and are held at the RCB Library in Dublin.

Kind regards

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 January 21 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the information, relatives were Church of Ireland/ Methodists,  I’ll take a look and see what I can find.
😀😀

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 January 21 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 January 21 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the links, I recognise some of the family names that my father used to mention that he knew when he was alive.

Offline peter upton-davis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 January 21 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Hullo Mew53 did your father/grandfather mention Davis from Killeshandra or Armstrongs, Dobsons Naylor or Moxhams? These are all family of mine from the area most of my relatives were probably Presbyterian although this is only probable. When the families came to Australia they tended to associate particularly with people from their home regions.

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 January 21 07:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,
My Dad knew the Armstrong’s quite well, think it was John he talked about.
Don’t remember the other names you mentioned, Ryan’s, O’Reillys, Crotty, Hasty were mentioned.
I visited Killeshandra in the 1960s in the holidays to see relatives (Wilson’s).