Author Topic: Captain James Crawford born abt 1835  (Read 2818 times)

Offline jackhammer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Captain James Crawford born abt 1835
« on: Wednesday 03 June 09 09:58 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know of a Captain James Crawford who was born in Greenock 1835 and died in Calcutta 17.2.1867 aged 31. This information from Greenock Advertiser 30.3.1867

Was he a Sea captain or in the army?

Regards
jackhammer

Offline dorothybennett

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Captain James Crawford born abt 1835
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 October 10 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hello jackhammer,

Just picking up on Captain James Crawford, b.Greenock 1835 and died Calcutta 17.2.1867.

He was my maternal gt gt grandfather and was a sea captain.  Many of the Crawford men were involved in shipping until one line went to London.  When Captain Crawford died, his widow Margaret (nee Ogilvie) remarried, to Francis William Wymer and the family moved to London and then my line went to Oz.

Family is fairly well documented.  You have given some great info to my sister, Virginia, on Archibald McNair Crawford, one of Capt. Crawford's grandsons and a gt. uncle to Virginia and me.

You may have been researching Crawford history for someone else.  They can certainly contact me if wished.  We have not gone further back than Capt. Crawford's father, James and his wife, Janet Wright.

Good wishes,
Jo

Offline jackhammer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 01:11 BST (UK) »
Hello dorothybennett

Thanks for your reply.

My wife is a descendant of Captain James Crawford but we have little info on his father James (married to Janet Wright 19.1.1835) other than the possibility that he too may have been lost at sea.

Do you know anything about Capt James Crawford's first son James. We have the following - born 1.8.1857 married Margaret Potts 1.7.1880 but don't know how, where or when he died. Any thoughts?

All the best
jackhammer

Offline dorothybennett

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 October 18 23:44 BST (UK) »
hello there.  Capt. James Crawfords son, also James, went to Adelaide after marrying Margaret Potts.  Did family settle there?  Also believe James and Margarets son David Rainey settled there. Have info that latter served on ships "Kathlamba" and "Kandahara".  An Archibald McNair Crawford disembarked at Brisbane 1924 on way to Adelaide.  Am connected through younger James' brother David Rennie whose son went to New South Wales in 1910.  Just fleshing out my sea-faring family. hope you can help.   Jo