Author Topic: Leslie/McConaghie in Ballymoney  (Read 5822 times)

Offline blackicerose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Leslie/McConaghie in Ballymoney
« on: Thursday 04 June 09 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hi there, there are a few pieces of information I am looking for, so any help at all would be very much apprieciated. :)

I am looking for the marriage of William Leslie to Mary McMillan/McMullen, I think they are from Ballymoney and their first child that I know of was born in 1841.

I am also looking for the birth details of 3 of their children: Mary Jane (cir 1841), Letitia (cir 1852) and Ann (cir 1853).

The next sign of the family is when they turn up in Greenock, Scotland. (William is missing)

Letitia then married Daniel McConaghie/McConaghy (also from Ballymoney I think), they moved back to Ballymoney about 1875.

I am also looking for the marriage of James McConaghy to Margaret Jane McIlmoyle (Daniel's parents) and Daniel's birth details (cir 1854)

Many thanks to anyone who can help in any way at all :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Leslie/McConaghie in Ballymoney
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 June 09 19:09 BST (UK) »
McConaghie is a very common surname around the Ballymoney area and most of them don't know how they're even related to eah other. Civil registration of births, deaths and Catholic marriages in Ireland began 1864 (from 1845 for other marriages) so for earlier dates you need to search for church records, if they exist. To do so you need to know the family's religion (in this case I'd try Presbyterian first for McConaghies and possible Church of Ireland then Presbyterians for Leslies) and where they lived (and I have to warn you that there are LOTS of Presbyterian churches in and around Ballymoney).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 June 09 00:11 BST (UK) »
Found this marriage on EmeraldAncestors.com - are you sure Daniel's mother was called Margaret Jane?

Date of Marriage   6 Jun 1854
Groom Name   James MCCONACHIE
Bride Name   Charlotte MCILMOYLE
Church   Bushvale Presbyterian Church
Parish   Kilraughts
Civil District   Ballymoney
County   Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 June 09 08:21 BST (UK) »
Think James McConachie and Charlotte McIlmoyle are a different couple as IGI lists a Mary Jane McConaghey born 17 June 1865 to James McConaghey and Margaret McElmoyle.

Offline blackicerose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 June 09 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hello aghadowey and akanex2, many thanks for your help.

aghadowey, I know that Daniel and Letitia's family were all Presbyterian and were buried in Knock Road cemetery if that helps. Also that birth record you found is interesting, is there any way of knowing where the birth is registered?

akanex2, I am sure Daniel's mother is Margaret Jane McIlmoyle, on Daniel's marriage certificate in Scotland it names both parents.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 June 09 13:44 BST (UK) »
Birth was probably registered in Ballymoney- do you mean where was the exact place of birth?
Index to civil registrations is on LDS Pilot site (free) which should be back again soon. You can search for a registration and order a birth certificate with the details there (name, year, registration district, page and volume number).
Many Presbyterians from Ballymoney were buried in the Cemetery but there are several Presbyterian churches in the area. Cemetery records give Letitia McConaghie (d.1900) as living in Ballymoney which means the town of Ballymoney. There's also a record of a Daniel McConaghie (d.1918) but only Daniel McConaghie I could find in Ballymoney in 1911 census was 56 years old, a general labourer and married for 7 years to Jane (age 30).

Offline blackicerose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 June 09 13:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I found the birth you were talking about on the LDS site. Just making sure that it was Ballymoney and not somewhere else half way round the countryside :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 June 09 13:52 BST (UK) »
This part got left ot of my original message:
Cemetery records give Letitia McConaghie (d.1900) as living in Ballymoney which means the town of Ballymoney. There's also a record of a Daniel McConaghie (d.1918) but only Daniel McConaghie I could find in Ballymoney in 1911 census was 56 years old, a general labourer and married for 7 years to Jane (age 30) living in Church St., Ballymoney.

Offline blackicerose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 June 09 14:09 BST (UK) »
Yes that's them :) Daniel was married a 2nd time to Jane McIlreavey and had 3 children