Author Topic: Liverpool Hospital NSW/ Liverpool Cemeteries  (Read 24200 times)

Offline yorkshire liz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool Hospital NSW/ Liverpool Cemeteries
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for keeping us informed Tabily.  Your Mitchell Library visit sounds like my visits to the National Archives at Kew - you spend more time trying to find the records you need than you do actually looking at them.

I'll be looking forward to hearing how you get on at your next visit, hope you find something interesting.

Best wishes for the New Year for all.
Liz

Offline darah1950

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 01 August 10 12:35 BST (UK) »
I'm also interested in Liverpool hospital.  As far as I know my grandfather was the Chief of this Hospital from early 1920's until he retired.  I have asked about staff records and have been told they don't have them.  Maybe they need more time before they are open to the public.

Olga

Offline yorkshire liz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 01 August 10 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Olga
A few months back I made enquiries with the Liverpool Family History Society, as I was so confused as to whether or not the Mitchell Library had anything on the Liverpool Asylum.  The reply I received included the following:

"The Benevolent Society operated the Liverpool Asylum from 1852 to 1862 and was the taken over by the State. There would be no record of Joseph in the Benevolent Society records unless he was admitted prior to 1862. "

So it looks like any records on the Liverpool Asylum they hold there would only be from 1852-1862, which is no good for me unfortunately.

Best wishes
Liz

Offline darah1950

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 02 August 10 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz,

That's not good.  I will contact Liverpool Family History Society and see what they come up with.  My grandfather I think was on Liverpool Council as a alderman - I have emailed them and received no answer.  But I contacted Parramatta Council and they replied with the years he was on Parramatta Council and information on the house his father built in Parramatta.

Good luck!!!!!

Olga

Offline cispt2

• RootsChat Member
  • HALL of Fenstanton
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 04:57 BST (UK) »
Just stumbled across this thread - would be very interested if anyone is accessing Liverpool Cemetery or Liverpool Asylum records (I live in the US). I have a William Smith who died on 3 July 1874 at Liverpool Asylum, and buried at Liverpool Cemetery (C of E). Any insight into headstone or asylum records on him would be greatly appreciated.
cheers,
matt
Banfield, Ewer, Staniland, Hall, Border, Quinane, Conlon, Alleyn, Moloney

Offline yorkshire liz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 21:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

Surviving records of the Liverpool Asylum are now held at the NSW state archives:

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/archives-in-brief/archives-in-brief-87

As the asylum was for destitute men you are unlikely to come across a headstone.

Best wishes
Liz

Offline cispt2

• RootsChat Member
  • HALL of Fenstanton
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 00:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Liz,

I'm going to do some more reading on the Liverpool Asylum. William Smith left a family, and had an occupation... he lived on Lower Campbell St, Sydney so I have a feeling he was in Liverpool for work when a malady befell him. His cause of death was 'paralysis' which supports this idea. For these reasons I'm trying to confirm the headstone, and I have a feeling that the asylum records may hold some more information about him.

Sydney Morning Herald
Monday 6 July 1874
DEATHS
SMITH. July 4, at Liverpool, late of Lower 23, Campbell-street, Surry Hills, Sydney, William Smith, leaving an affectionate wife and 3 children to mourn their loss, aged 38.

cheers,
matt
Banfield, Ewer, Staniland, Hall, Border, Quinane, Conlon, Alleyn, Moloney

Offline Lynbi

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 08 September 11 08:55 BST (UK) »
Hi John..

How weird..I just flicked onto rootschat and followed the Liverpool hospital link..I haven't got an email yet that there is a message for me.. just odd considering the amount of messages rootschat goes through!!
Anyway.. have you done alot of research into Samuel Moore..? I have been in contact with a John decended from Sydney who has given me lots of information.  I am from the naughty side of the family..I am from Eliza Ann Moore (sister of Sydney)  she married a (catholic) grandson of a convict :o, Michael Meehan, who was alot younger than her..who then left her and fathered an awful lot of other children with a few other women!  I believe Eliza Ann ended up dying in Newingyon asylum..am wondering if she was kicked out of the family?
I haven't been out to Liverpool..I am trying to plan a day to visit the cemetery, and the museum/genealogy centre..I think Eliza Ann was born there..
Let me know what you think?
cheers
Caroline