Author Topic: Bakewell Genealogy Questions  (Read 13291 times)

Offline Woody32

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bakewell Genealogy Questions
« Reply #18 on: Friday 05 June 09 13:42 BST (UK) »
You can order the Marriage Certificate from here...

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

you need to register and the certificates cost £7.00

Josiah Bakewell Kings Norton 18 483 Jun Qtr 1841

oops forgot your in America..It may cost a little bit more, not sure.
LANCASHIRE = Wood,Howard,,Smethurst,Foxall,Cheetham,Brookes,Grime, Horrocks,Thornley,Arstall,Shawcross,Rowland,Mclean LINCOLNSHIRE = Featherstone Johnson,Toyne,Willson,

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 05 June 09 13:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Woody for the marriage cert links  :)

That was a good find Laurina on the ship manifest! Certainly looks v. likely we may have a trail on at least Mary Ann's family.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J.Bakewell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 05 June 09 13:54 BST (UK) »
My BlackBerry has been going off all morning with updates ;D. This is very exciting news! It would seem probable that William traveled to the US with Josiah and Mary. I looked up Josiah's parents and the dates of birth match up with what I know and it looks like they only had one child?

It says that William Bakewell and Sara Bakewell had one child Josiah in 1818. If that is the case and he was an only child then it seems like the trail is going to have to lead back to William and if he had brothers that had children.

A trail on the Vernun/Vernon's is good as well! Now that ive established that Josiah may have been an only child, at least at that point in 1825, where should I go to look for information regarding his parents and their siblings?

Sincerely,

J. Bakewell
SEARCHING FOR: Bakewell Family Information

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 05 June 09 14:00 BST (UK) »
I'd be careful at this stage on making assumptions on the parents of Josiah. As Woody mentioned earlier, there is at least one other Josiah showing with same birth place/years/wife's name! I can see this Josiah with with wife Mary in the 1851 census showing as born in Birmingham with one son William aged 10. This Josiah shows as a gunsmith by trade.

Until you can confirm father's name from your Josiah's marriage cert. I would only be using pencil at this stage  ;)

Monica

Offline J.Bakewell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 05 June 09 14:02 BST (UK) »
Fair enough  :D! My GGGGF Josiah had two boys and I will continue to search for information. I dont want to seem desperate but im trying hard to see if there are any more of us out there. For those that have done the genealogy of their families how far back in history have you been able to trace?

Sincerely,

J. Bakewell

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 05 June 09 14:24 BST (UK) »
Everybody you speak to will have a different experience. My lines have gone back to 1750s. Some people quote trees going back to BC  ::) others struggle to get beyond a few generations.

The key thing you are reliant on is how you can verify your sources as you work back. Records become thinner on the ground the further back you go.

Monica

Offline J.Bakewell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 05 June 09 14:28 BST (UK) »
I can completely understand that! My grandmother just turned 104 the other day and she was telling me last night about our family and was telling me about being related to Shakespeare. Who knows at this point who I am and am not related to  8)

So the first step is looking like getting my hands on that marriage certificate for Josiah and Mary then figuring out their parents and going from there correct? It will probably take me a bit to get all that together though. There is no way to view it online is there? Thanks so much

Sincerely,

J. Bakewell

PS- This is a picture of my grandmother Ada Mae Bakewell in the 1920's when she was around 20 herself. Im trying to get my hands on the old tin photos we have of Josiah and his family! Im keeping my fingers crossed

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 05 June 09 15:09 BST (UK) »
Oh my goodness...104! Beautiful looking young woman  :)

I'm about to be late for heading off on the school run for my crew  ::) but will post back later. There might be a grain to what your grandmother has said about Shakespeare....not necessarily The Bard but a marriage I found for my potential penciled in parents to your Josiah, where bride's surname is...Shakespeare.

Back in a little while.... :)

Monica

Offline J.Bakewell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 05 June 09 15:13 BST (UK) »
Holy incredible news! I would absolutely love to work with you and help you out in any way possible for helping me! I am a member of a good few forums but not any that pertain to ancestry or the like. Cant wait to chat with you more!

Sincerely,

J. Bakewell