Author Topic: Bakewell Genealogy Questions  (Read 13262 times)

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
Re: Bakewell Genealogy Questions
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 June 09 12:13 BST (UK) »
I based my guess on Josiah's wife being Mary Ann Vernon on the fact that in the 1860 New York census his wife is listed as "Mary A."

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline J.Bakewell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 June 09 12:34 BST (UK) »
Wow! Thanks so much to everyone!!! Basically I am new to all of this so I dont know where to search for any of this stuff and im not sure what to search exactly.

I have come across US census information but I cannot recall where I found it for those early dates. From what I gather Josiah Bakewell and Mary Ann Vernon were married in England and then moved to the US with just those two and their children were born here. They had 9 children and of which only two survived, Sidney and Jesse. Where would I look for the marriage information???

Not to sound like a complete newbie but with the census information what does HO107; Piece 1148; Book: 10 mean exactly? Like I said this is all very new to me  ;D.

How common is the last name Bakewell in England? Over here it is not common at all and I as far as I know there isnt anyone with that last name. I see the names posted but I am having trouble figuring out who is who.

Hiraeth and Isles I see the information you posted and the names! The thing I see is the difference between the two, the dates, and the names listed? Any ideas what all that means? Im taking baby steps in the right direction I believe so thank you all so much and the more information the better!

Sincerely,

J. Bakewell

SEARCHING FOR: Bakewell Family Information

Offline J.Bakewell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 June 09 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Are you sure he was born in Bakewell?  I cant seem to find any JOSIAH BAKEWELL's born in Bakewell !!! Quite a few hits on A Warwickshire JOSIAH BAKEWELL though but he stayed in England.

I have a few files floating around that I will dig up that did say he was born in Bakewell in Derbyshire England. I wonder if the one that left and the one that stayed are of any relation?

Sincerely,

J. Bakewell

Offline J.Bakewell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 05 June 09 12:37 BST (UK) »
I based my guess on Josiah's wife being Mary Ann Vernon on the fact that in the 1860 New York census his wife is listed as "Mary A."

Nick

Nick you are correct. Mary Ann Vernon is his wife and the two are burried together on my families plot.

Sincerely,

J. Bakewell

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 June 09 12:43 BST (UK) »
The reference I gave for the possible 1841 census entry is the reference to their individual entry, what is referred to as the 'source citation'. For example, if you were using Ancestry to view this entry, you would insert this data on the general search screen boxes and it would take you straight to that entry. Just realised that I have missed out some of the reference:

HO107; Piece 1148; Book: 10; Folio 26; Page 13

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J.Bakewell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 05 June 09 12:48 BST (UK) »
So fascinating I swear! My biggest question really is where my family came from before him and do I have any relatives in England still or in the rest of the world. I would love to meet another Bakewell  ;)

I will certainly take that information you gave me and write it down and keep it close by. Thank you all again so much

Sincerely,

J. Bakewell

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 05 June 09 13:18 BST (UK) »
The only way to go back really is to verify Josiah and Mary Ann's father from their marriage cert. I just did a search for births on IGI  www.familysearch.org for possible births for Mary Ann and one jumps out!

MARY ANN VERNUN  Birth: 18 APR 1818 Lombard Street General Baptist, Birmingham, Warwick
Parents:THOMAS VERNUN and MARY

Josiah and Mary Ann show in 1841 in the household of a Thomas Vernon, 50, a carpenter by trade and his wife Mary, 50. Also showing is a William and John, both 15 who would potential brothers to Mary Ann I would imagine.

The 1841 census is the most limited in terms of information. One characteristic of this year's census is that ages were often rounded down to the nearest 5 yrs for everyone over 15. So Mary Ann and Josiah showing as 20 that year would mean their actual age could be anywhere between 20-24, and so on for the rest.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J.Bakewell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 June 09 13:35 BST (UK) »
Monica is there anywhere online to get a hold of the marriage certificate? Mary was born in 1818 as well as Josiah so that fits perfectly! I am so glad to hear this bit of information! For the past few months ive been pulling my hair out trying to find places to look and I stumbled upon this site and within a day ive gotten more information that I had in months of searching the G**gle way  ::).

I am going to write this down and start building a family tree! If I can find that marriage certificate I can progress further backwards correct?

Sincerely,

J. Bakewell

Offline Laurina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 05 June 09 13:39 BST (UK) »
http://stevemorse.org/ellis/cg.html

I looked at the shipping site posted earlier - interesting to see that a Wm. Vernon aged 23 travelled on the same ship as Josiah Bakewell. Could this be Mary's brother?

Laurina
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk