Author Topic: Connections with the crew??  (Read 17923 times)

Offline WelwynGC1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Connections with the crew??
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 05 August 17 11:09 BST (UK) »
Well, having spent about ten years researching my Uncles RAF history l am now proud to report that his story is now in print for all time in a recently published book.

BOMBER COMMAND BATTLE OF BERLIN-FAILED TO RETURN.

My heartfelt thanks to my friend and local bomber command historian Dr Robert Owen and to all those kind folk on this fantastic site that have helped me along the way.

If you are doing something similar in research, there are always people here to provide help and encouragement.

And also, relatives of two of my uncles crew who were kind enough to contact me, might like to know  that your relatives get a mention in the book too

Don`t ever give up!!

Steve.
Hayton 1800-Present Day

Maynard, Jones-Hertford

Chance- Jarrow/Hebburn/South Shields 1800-Present Day

HONOUR THE BRAVE BOMBER BOYS-NEVER FORGET

Offline WelwynGC1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 11:39 BST (UK) »
Another refresh of this topic, still searching for possible surviving family members of my Uncle`s ill fated crew.

Thanks.

Steve.
Hayton 1800-Present Day

Maynard, Jones-Hertford

Offline vwilliams1617

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Kevin,

I am a historian/documentary film producer here in Texas.  One of my very good friends is the son JA930 rear gunner Fred H. Davis, who was from a Texas town near here.  I am working on a brief film about the flight on September 3, 1943 when the crew was lost.  I am trying to locate the families of the other crew.  I have all the World War II addresses from a letter sent to the other six families from F/O Gardiner's father.  Please contact me if you would.

Dr. Vernon L. Williams

Steve, it may not get you any further, but here is the RAF Loss Card link giving some further details of the crew, equipment and take off time for JA696, which you may not have seen.
http://www.lancasterbombers.net/Loss_Cards/1943/Sept_43/Sept_43_Pt1/files/book.swf
John is shown as being the mid upper gunner.

100 squadron also lost JA630 that night. The bomb aimer in that crew DOES have a known grave, yet all other members of BOTH crews are on Runnymede.
HARRILL, EDWARD CHARLES. Rank: Pilot Officer. Trade: Air Bomber. Service No: 157285. Date of Death: 04/09/1943. Age: 28
Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. 100 Sqdn.
Grave Reference: 1. K. 17. Cemetery: BERLIN 1939-1945 WAR CEMETERY
Additional Information: Son of Edgar George Collins Harrill and Edith Ella Harrill, of Cheddar, Somerset.
Their Loss Card seems to note that he was buried in Heerstrasse BMC. Plot 1, Row K. Grave 17.
John King was also identified, together with 4 unknowns, yet he is on Runnymede, so perhaps you might be able to pass this information on to 100 Squadron.
It could be that the JA930 crew might yet be identified if CWGC can advise if Harrill had any other related burials. It looks as if Heerstrasse was the original name for Reichswald, as the grave information is identical. If there are "Known Unto God" headstones around him, that suggests they are the rest of his crew.
KING, JOHN. Rank: Sergeant. Trade: W/Op. Service No: 1128416. Date of Death: 04/09/1943. Age: 30.
Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. 100 Sqdn.
Panel Reference: Panel 155. Memorial: RUNNYMEDE MEMORIAL
Additional Information: Son of William and Winifred King; husband of Mary Catherine King, of Skipton, Yorkshire.

Sorry, doesn't really get you much further, but another (small) part of the jigsaw.

Offline NicD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 13 February 21 03:20 GMT (UK) »
Pretty sure the lady in this youtube video is Arthur Leonard Kent’s mother. His nephew is the one who posted it I think.
https://youtu.be/7MiWq5oHKn8

Regards
Nicola
Logie, Lawrie, Davidson, Noble, Ross, Simpson, Fyffe, Moon, Setton/Seaton, Brough

Offline WelwynGC1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 10 April 21 06:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Nic, sorry l did not see your reply before.

That`s very interesting and l will have a proper look later.

Be good to contact the family as l have only made contact with two families of his six crew mates before now.

Thank you!!

Steve.
Hayton 1800-Present Day

Maynard, Jones-Hertford

Offline WelwynGC1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 17 May 21 10:01 BST (UK) »
Pretty sure the lady in this youtube video is Arthur Leonard Kent’s mother. His nephew is the one who posted it I think.
https://youtu.be/7MiWq5oHKn8

Regards
Nicola
Strange that l cannot find anything on that clip to connect her to AL Kent.

Did l miss something????
Hayton 1800-Present Day

Maynard, Jones-Hertford