Author Topic: Agnes Street, Maryhill - where buried?  (Read 2683 times)

Offline janwbay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Agnes Street, Maryhill - where buried?
« on: Friday 05 June 09 13:37 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I hope someone can help me.  One of my relations lived in 36 Agnes Street Maryhill.  Can anyone tell me which cemeteries he is likely to be buried in please?

Thanks
Janice

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes Street, Maryhill - where buried?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 June 09 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Janice,

The 'nearest' cemeteries would be the Western Necropolis, Lambhill or St. Kentigern's. They're all together in one huge area.

Then there's Sighthill, another massive cemetery.

Your relation wouldn't necessarily be bured in the closest to where he lived for a number of reasons, e.g. there might have been a family lair purchased somewhere sometime prior to his death by his parents, so if there was room, he may have been buried there.

I was looking for some info from Glasgow Cemeteries Offices recently and they quoted me £61.00 as a search fee, and that was after giving them the name of the cemetery, the section and even the lair number (I wanted to know everybody buried in the same lair). Needless to say I didn't pursue the search!

Anne

Offline janwbay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 June 09 22:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Anne.  I have forwarded you a reply on your other email, re an earlier query I made regarding Cadder cemetery.   

I know that you have a lot of knowledge regarding the cemeteries but I am putting this on in case anyone else finds it helpful.  Cadder cemetery comes under East Dunbartonshire, and they were very helpful. Their email is         cemeteries[at][/blue]eastdunbarton.gov.uk

With Sighthill, even if you have the lair number, they do not seem to be able to supply who is in it.  However, if you can give them the names of possible people and date of death, they seem able to tell you which lair they are in.  Email to    bereavement.services[at][/blue]ls.glasgow.gov.uk
(Replace [at] with @)

In neither cemetery have I been told there would be a charge. Very strange !

The website link below has a number of cemeteries on it.  Pick one from the drop down box,  but you need to scroll down past the same info on each one, until you get to the lists for that particular cemetery.  They are not full lists, but you never know, the personyou need may be there
Thanks
Janice
http://www.memento-mori.co.uk/

Offline Chantelle25

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I hope someone can help me.  One of my relations lived in 36 Agnes Street Maryhill.  Can anyone tell me which cemeteries he is likely to be buried in please?

Thanks
Janice

Hi Janice,

I am also seeking a long lost relative who I believed lived at this address in the early 1900s. His name was Mr Halliday. Are you looking for the same person?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Never trust anything you find online .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 10:07 BST (UK) »
The 1905 Valuation Roll at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk lists 12 tenants at 36 Agnes Street, so it looks as if this address was a tenement block.

In 1915 and 1920 one of the tenants is William Holliday. In 1925 he is listed as William Halliday. He is last listed in 1930, as William Holliday.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Falkyrn

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 10:34 BST (UK) »
The 1905 Valuation Roll at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk lists 12 tenants at 36 Agnes Street, so it looks as if this address was a tenement block.

In 1915 and 1920 one of the tenants is William Holliday. In 1925 he is listed as William Halliday. He is last listed in 1930, as William Holliday.

Possibly the same person, there is one death listed in the Maryhill district in 1944 - William Holliday aged 79