Author Topic: old pictures of Billesley, Birmingham  (Read 18113 times)

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
Re: old pictures of Billesley, Birmingham
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 00:39 BST (UK) »
Birmingham Library should also have photos and they usually waive copyright.
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 09:31 BST (UK) »
Not any more they don't. There was a time when you could obtain copies of almost anything which wasn't copyright protected from Birmingham Library and reproduce it with no more than an acknowledgement but they mow have an entirely new set of rules and a complex list of charges. Trying to get a simple photograph from them is like trying to pull teeth. First you have to fill in a form telling them precisely how you intend to use it, what quality reproduction you require and whether you want it e-mailed or sent to you on CD. This determines how much you pay and from the way the terms and conditions are worded it sounds as though you'll be hanged, drawn and quartered if you use it for anything other than the stated purpose. They also have a nasty habit of trying to claim copyright over items of which they have just one of many available copies.

I'm currently working on a new publication which will, I hope. include photographs given to me by the library before the new rules came in. I'm just wondering what reaction I'm likely to get.

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 12:29 BST (UK) »
Wow! I didn't know that. Thanks for telling me :(
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 13:55 BST (UK) »
Tricia,

This seems to be a national policy. I guess someone has worked out that there is money to be made out of archives. A couple of weeks ago I discovered that some documents I needed to read in connection with a Birmingham project had ended up in Leicestershire archive so I rang and asked if I could buy copies, just to save me the drive. I was quoted £67, including a scanning fee, £10 to put the scans on CD and £3 50 postage. I didn't need permanent copies. I just neeeded to take some information from the documents. I drove over there, made notes and came home for less than thirty quid and had a decent day out into the bargain.

Keith

Offline brummie nick

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 15:41 BST (UK) »
Not sure of the date of this picture, would think its the early 1900's

Offline brummie nick

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 15:43 BST (UK) »
OOPPs about 1925.  ;D :D

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 15:59 BST (UK) »
I organised an exhibition of photos and memories at Trittiford Centre a few years ago. People were very helpful and I think that it was it was a great success. You may have seen it. :)

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick.

A really interesting one. I reckon you're about right on the date. Pity there's not a car on the road to hellp with dating.

Keith

Offline bilsat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Trisha_2.
Sorry about missing that exhibition but where was the Billesley Centre that you held it in?was it Trittiford  School or were! have you still got any details of people who had pics? I have an old map of Billesley and I am populating it with old pics of Billesley. It is at Holy Cross Community Centre at the moment.
Pete