Author Topic: Hatton Mary Ann  (Read 16246 times)

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We build our pedigrees based on the proofs we find
    • View Profile
Hatton Mary Ann
« on: Saturday 06 June 09 20:44 BST (UK) »
Looking for information on the Hatton family of Dublin. Mary Ann Hatton b.1801 Dublin d.1833 Australia, all that is know of her is that she married John Bury Curran nephew of the Irish orator master of the rolls John Philpot Curran.
Is there anyone out there researching the same families?

Tanks,

Fran
Brooker, Creagh Curran, Ellingsen, Evans, Hatton, Ryan, Slade, Campbell, Flett

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hatton Mary Ann
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 August 09 21:51 BST (UK) »
Fran,

Over the years have collected information onthe Curran family  especially in period 1860-1900.

Further believe we are related to the Currans on my mother's side by marriage in early 1800s.

Regards

Quaxer

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 12:35 BST (UK) »
G'day,
     Would your connection be through the HATTON family to Our Curran's?
Or another connection? I would be interested to find out.
As i have mentioned I know nothing of the Hatton family  of Dublin, Mary Anne was b.1801 and d.1833 at the age of 32 of unknown causes, as she spent time in India with her Husband and only a short time in Australia we would be guessing something tropical was cause of death? As of the Curran's I can go back to 1718 with the birth of a James Curran to a John Curran and a Miss Edwards  no further dates have been found or the first name of Miss Edwards as yet.
I have lots of gaps and think I will be looking for the rest of my time to complete such a complex tree as it has turned out to be. If you think we have some connection lets know and we can exchange information and stories!

Regards,
 ;D
Fran

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 02:00 BST (UK) »
Fran
Thanks for your recent message which for some reason did not pop up on my notice of incoming mail.
My claim to relationship to the Currans is based on the Appendix to the 26th Annual Report of the Deputy Keeperof the Public Records in Ireland (1893) which shows that he had on file a marriage licence forC atherine Adrien and Henry Grattan Curran dated 1821 (obviosly  destroyed in 1922) My mother's maiden name was Adrien and I can trace a direct line back to the above Catherine.
Henry Grattan Curran was later a stipendiary magistrate at Strokestown Co.Roscommon.

Does this link up with any of yours?

Regards         Quaxer

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 16:48 BST (UK) »
Part 2.
 The latter Curran practiced at the Irish Bar for some years, then become Resident Magistrate, one of his stations being Birr and another Strokestown. According to D.J O'Donoghue's "Dictionary of Irish Writers" 1912 he ws the author of the well-known song the Wearing of the Green He died 12 Feb., 1876 and is buried at Mount Jerome , Dublin, with his half brother, William Henry Curran.
Henry Grattin Curran seems to have had a numerous family of whom the following may be noted from Alumni Dublinenses. All entered Trinity
1. George John Curran, entered 6 Nov.,, 1943, aged 15 years.
2. Frederich Adrian Curran., enteed 1 Jul., 1853 aged 16 years.
3. William Adrian Curran., entered 11 Oct., 1853, aged 17 years
4. Charles Ribton Curran., entered 1 Jul., 1857 aged 16 years.
No.4 in this list was Senior Puisne  Judge of the High Court Jamaica.

Some light may perhaps be thrown on the parents of the above-named two Fitzgerald's (Curran's) by reference to Sir John Barrington's personal sketches Vol.1, p.279, where is described a visit he paid with Curran at the latter's request on one of their trips to London to a Miss H, between whom there existed ' a refined friendship"(Curran's phrase) at Spa and elsewhere. This lady was also a friend  of Holman, the Actor, and she finally married Major XXX an associate of Mr, Hastings. During the visit another lady, a governess, and two children were in the room; the visitors were cordially welcomed, but a dispute having arisen between Miss H, whose temper was very violent and her feet very long, and Curran over pecuniary affairs, Curran received a buffet on the side of the head which sounded like a pistol shot, and he quitted the house in hurried confusion leaving London for Ireland. Barrington goes on to tell of the Lady's marriage soon after and the noble establishment she had in London , where Curran (Henry Gratton) having made his peace,
 became a frequent guest at her table. Mrs XXX afterwards broke her neck by a fall down the stairs whilst in an inebriated state! The Gentleman's Magazine, 3 Feb., 1812, gave apoplexy as the cause of her death.
There can be no doubt that this Mrs XXX is Mary Hughes, daughter of Samuel Hughes of Seskin, Co. Tipperary. Mary Hugh was a beautiful and popular actress.
The latter Curran practiced at the Irsih Bar some years, then became a Resident  Magistrate, one of his stations being Birr and another Strokestown. According to  D. J. O'Donaghue's dictionary of Irish Writer's, 1912 he was the author of the well-known song 'The Wearing of the Green he died 12 Feb 1876, and is buried at Mount Jerome, Dublin, with his brother William Henry Curran.
Ref: Notes & Queries 3 September, 1949 p.386-
Henry Grattan, 32 Summerhill (barrister - Easter term 1828) Dublin City Directory 1850 : Cullen - Cutler

More:The Concise Oxford Companion to Irish Literature; 2000; ROBERT WELSH; 42 Words Curran, Henry Rattan (1800–1876), poet and novelist. Born in Dublin, the natural son of John Philpot Curran , he became a barrister. His poetry includes ‘The Wearing of the Green’ . He wrote topical novels including Confessions of a Whitefoot (1884).

In 1850 he  Henry Grattan lived at:, 32 Summer hill , Dublin.
so Henry Gratton Fitzgerald (Curran) was a bit of a lad!
I do have further info on his children.
I would love to hear any thing you have discovered.
don,t you just luv Genealogy!By the way where do you live?

Regards,
javascript:replaceText('%20::)',%20document.postmodify.message);
Fran
P.S Sorry for the ramblings i may have repeated myself but hope you get the.....
Sorry if there are spelling mistakes, I'm a Nurse always was a bad typist !

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 16:49 BST (UK) »
Part 1.
Yes it looks like that your female connection is one of  my missing links!
As you may already know that Henry Gratton Fitzgerald (Curran) was the second son  of John Philpot Curran & a Mrs Fitzgerald (first name not found yet) She was always referred to as Mrs Fitzgerald. After John Philpot Curran's wife Sarah Creigh left him for a nother man a Pastor, they divorced. He did not marry again, only lived with Mrs Fitzgerald and always in his writtings and his will refereed to as his extra marital children as his Nephews. After (has there has been many!!) the death of John Philpot Curran 1st, the extra martal sons on entering Trinity both changed their surname to Curran!

Here is what I know of Henry Gratton Fitzgerald (Curran):b.1799 London d.1876 Dublin  at the age of 77.
Names after his Fathers (JPC) friend:
Henry Grattan (July 3, 1746 - June 6, 1820) who was a member of the Irish House of Commons and a campaigner for legislative freedom for the Irish Parliament in the late 18th century. He opposed the Act of Union 1800 that merged the Kingdoms of Ireland and Great Britain.)

Although originally named Fitzgerald viz: Henry Gratton he bore the name when he signed John Philpot Curran 1st  will, on 17th september 1816. according to O'Regan's memoir of Curran p.300, the testator left 80 pound a year to as he called his his nephews. His so called nephews after the death of their father JPC assumed the name of Curran. As his older brother he Henry Gratton, entered Trinity, Henry Gratton was called to the Bar 6th November 1817, aged 16years & still bore the name of Fitzgerald, he had been born in Tipperary, and was the son of JPC (Latin defunctus.) Now changing his name to Henry Gratton "Curran".After the death of  his father JPC Master of the Rolls, Ireland, deceased. It is true that  he was the second son of his mother, but four sons of a different mother had preceded him, and if his second series of statements be correct the epithet( Synonyms: nickname, description, appellation, handle, label, sobriquet, moniker)defunct in the first was only intended to mislead.

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 17:44 BST (UK) »
Part 1.
Yes it looks like that your female connection is one of  my missing links!
As you may already know that Henry Gratton Fitzgerald (Curran) was the second son  of John Philpot Curran & a Mrs Fitzgerald (first name not found yet) She was always referred to as Mrs Fitzgerald. After John Philpot Curran's wife Sarah Creigh left him for a nother man a Pastor, they divorced. He did not marry again, only lived with Mrs Fitzgerald and always in his writtings and his will refereed to as his extra marital children as his Nephews. After (has there has been many!!) the death of John Philpot Curran 1st, the extra martal sons on entering Trinity both changed their surname to Curran!

Here is what I know of Henry Gratton Fitzgerald (Curran):b.1799 London d.1876 Dublin  at the age of 77.
Names after his Fathers (JPC) friend:
Henry Grattan (July 3, 1746 - June 6, 1820) who was a member of the Irish House of Commons and a campaigner for legislative freedom for the Irish Parliament in the late 18th century. He opposed the Act of Union 1800 that merged the Kingdoms of Ireland and Great Britain.)

Although originally named Fitzgerald viz: Henry Gratton he bore the name when he signed John Philpot Curran 1st  will, on 17th september 1816. according to O'Regan's memoir of Curran p.300, the testator left 80 pound a year to as he called his his nephews. His so called nephews after the death of their father JPC assumed the name of Curran. As his older brother he Henry Gratton, entered Trinity, Henry Gratton was called to the Bar 6th November 1817, aged 16years & still bore the name of Fitzgerald, he had been born in Tipperary, and was the son of JPC (Latin defunctus.) Now changing his name to Henry Gratton "Curran".After the death of  his father JPC Master of the Rolls, Ireland, deceased. It is true that  he was the second son of his mother, but four sons of a different mother had preceded him, and if his second series of statements be correct the epithet( Synonyms: nickname, description, appellation, handle, label, sobriquet, moniker)defunct in the first was only intended to mislead.

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 17:46 BST (UK) »
Part 2.
 The latter Curran practiced at the Irish Bar for some years, then become Resident Magistrate, one of his stations being Birr and another Strokestown. According to D.J O'Donoghue's "Dictionary of Irish Writers" 1912 he ws the author of the well-known song the Wearing of the Green He died 12 Feb., 1876 and is buried at Mount Jerome , Dublin, with his half brother, William Henry Curran.
Henry Grattin Curran seems to have had a numerous family of whom the following may be noted from Alumni Dublinenses. All entered Trinity
1. George John Curran, entered 6 Nov.,, 1943, aged 15 years.
2. Frederich Adrian Curran., enteed 1 Jul., 1853 aged 16 years.
3. William Adrian Curran., entered 11 Oct., 1853, aged 17 years
4. Charles Ribton Curran., entered 1 Jul., 1857 aged 16 years.
No.4 in this list was Senior Puisne  Judge of the High Court Jamaica.

Some light may perhaps be thrown on the parents of the above-named two Fitzgerald's (Curran's) by reference to Sir John Barrington's personal sketches Vol.1, p.279, where is described a visit he paid with Curran at the latter's request on one of their trips to London to a Miss H, between whom there existed ' a refined friendship"(Curran's phrase) at Spa and elsewhere. This lady was also a friend  of Holman, the Actor, and she finally married Major XXX an associate of Mr, Hastings. During the visit another lady, a governess, and two children were in the room; the visitors were cordially welcomed, but a dispute having arisen between Miss H, whose temper was very violent and her feet very long, and Curran over pecuniary affairs, Curran received a buffet on the side of the head which sounded like a pistol shot, and he quitted the house in hurried confusion leaving London for Ireland. Barrington goes on to tell of the Lady's marriage soon after and the noble establishment she had in London , where Curran (Henry Gratton) having made his peace,
 became a frequent guest at her table. Mrs XXX afterwards broke her neck by a fall down the stairs whilst in an inebriated state! The Gentleman's Magazine, 3 Feb., 1812, gave apoplexy as the cause of her death.
There can be no doubt that this Mrs XXX is Mary Hughes, daughter of Samuel Hughes of Seskin, Co. Tipperary. Mary Hugh was a beautiful and popular actress.
The latter Curran practiced at the Irsih Bar some years, then became a Resident  Magistrate, one of his stations being Birr and another Strokestown. According to  D. J. O'Donaghue's dictionary of Irish Writer's, 1912 he was the author of the well-known song 'The Wearing of the Green he died 12 Feb 1876, and is buried at Mount Jerome, Dublin, with his brother William Henry Curran.
Ref: Notes & Queries 3 September, 1949 p.386-
Henry Grattan, 32 Summerhill (barrister - Easter term 1828) Dublin City Directory 1850 : Cullen - Cutler

More:The Concise Oxford Companion to Irish Literature; 2000; ROBERT WELSH; 42 Words Curran, Henry Rattan (1800–1876), poet and novelist. Born in Dublin, the natural son of John Philpot Curran , he became a barrister. His poetry includes ‘The Wearing of the Green’ . He wrote topical novels including Confessions of a Whitefoot (1884).

In 1850 he  Henry Grattan lived at:, 32 Summer hill , Dublin.
so Henry Gratton Fitzgerald (Curran) was a bit of a lad!
I do have further info on his children.
I would love to hear any thing you have discovered.
don,t you just luv Genealogy!By the way where do you live?

Regards,
javascript:replaceText('%20:',%20document.postmodify.message);
Fran
P.S Sorry for the ramblings i may have repeated myself but hope you get the.....
Sorry if there are spelling mistakes, I'm a Nurse always was a bad typist !

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 20:32 BST (UK) »
Dear Fran
Very many thanks for the mountain of detail (the more the better)
It will take some time for me to respond in detail to you but please do not feel slighted  as I help others on this link., probably neglecting my own.
Your wonderful research has solved a problem  for me . The Dictionary of National Biogra
 phy (Victorian Edition -the original) did not show the link of Henry Grattan Curran to his father J.P.Curran However the Probate Calendar for Ireland for 1858 Page 56 shows some particulars of a will for William Henry Curran died 24th August 1858 with Henry Grattan Curran as an executor. Revert if this is not readily available to you and I can post details.
Unless you have something private to say to me let us leave this on the mainstream for now as somebody else may have something to add. Also revert if you have a burning question re my side and maybe I have the answer.

Regards        Quaxer