Author Topic: Dating Bible  (Read 4887 times)

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Dating Bible
« on: Sunday 07 June 09 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I specifially didn't put this in the family bible section, as while this bible belonged to my grandmother, it's not what I'd call a 'family' bible and the only help I'm looking for is to date it, so I hope this thread is ok in here.

There appears to be absolutely no date on it, which I find odd that the publisher didn't include it.  Anyhow, if anyone can help, or point me in the right direction to investigate further, I'd be very grateful.

I have the following details to hand:

Browns Self Interpreting Bible
written by Reverend John Brown

with comments/additions by the late Reverend John Eadie and Reverend Robert Young

full colour plates by John Leighton FSA

published by William MacKenzie, London, Glasgow, Edinburgh

I can't seem to find any precise info re the publishers and when they might have stopped publishing - I've come across internet mentions of them, and their books all seem to be around 1870 but I'm not taking that as read.  It's a huge book, really thick, leatherbound and the pages are gilt edged. 

Fingers crossed someone out there can help, thanks in advance!

Lass x

Offline Roger The Hat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Dating Bible
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 June 09 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, Lass,

I've had a look on abebooks and it seems that your bible dates to between 1804 and 1810.

Roger The Hat.

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 June 09 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger

Thanks for such a prompt reply.

I'd taken a look at Abe Books and the only offering I could find where the publisher was William MacKenzie was the bible which it is noted has handwritten family history dating back to 1856. 

However, that particular book has
many additional notes, critical, practical & explanatory from Scott, Henry, Hawies etc etc and an original memoir of the author
whereas mine has notes by other Reverends not quoted.

I suspect that there have been several reprints, I'm just trying to pin it down!  Probably on a high road to nothing, but I can't help myself!!!  ;D

Lass x

Offline Roger The Hat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 June 09 23:05 BST (UK) »
Well, I hope it is one of the earlier ones, because they're worth quite a bit!

Good Luck.

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 June 09 23:07 BST (UK) »
So do I Roger, it would be nice!!  I'm surprised the bible hasn't disintegrated into a pile of dust in my distinctly pagan hands  ;D , but it's in pretty good nick and to be honest, I'm not sure I'd part with it since my Granny obviously took very good care over it, may be found to be a family heirloom yet.

Lass x