Author Topic: Check the original records  (Read 12228 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Check the original records
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 11 June 09 12:00 BST (UK) »
If I ever meet some of them in a next life, I have a lot of questions for a lot of ancestors.  ;D

kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 11 June 09 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

I would love to ask my ancestors many questions. They'd probably get tired of me in the end and say two words to me and one of them is "Off".  ;D ;D

Ben
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 11 June 09 18:37 BST (UK) »
In a macabre setting, these posts remind me of what was said about the great plagues, Black Death c1350,which may not have been bubonic plague, and the great plague of 1667 which certainly was: Breakfast with your family, dinner with your ancestors! Like recent postings I have plenty to ask mine in the unlikely event we ever meet.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline clivealbert

• RootsChat Senior
  • First meeting with granddaughter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 12 June 09 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,Its all very well asking your ancestors, but would you take any notice? while talking to a gt. aunt (95) some years ago after plying her with liquid memory, she was talking about  when she was very young, knowing an old lady living with the family who everyone called, Lottie, I said I don,t know anyone of that name in the family, and could have been a guest in the pub they ran. When I got back home and writing up my notes(pre computer) I found Lottie= Charlotte, possibly her grandmother born 1835, after that I always said that interesting what else do you know, It may mean nothing, then again it could mean alot. Best Wishes Clive.
marshall, reynolds ,cockayne, parrot ,friend,hayman.bielby,carr,Dobbs,Jeffries,Dear,Spink,Henshaw,Crump

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 12 June 09 10:09 BST (UK) »
Clive

I would now with hindsight!  My gran used to tell me stories about her grandparents and I wasn't a bit interested.  She also knew the surnames of about 6 or 7 generations of her maternal ancestors backwards, did I take any notice?  NO! 

Apparently she taught them to my mum too and she can't remember them, but as each generation is now being revealed to me, those names are appearing and we are remembering.

kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 13 June 09 18:00 BST (UK) »
When I started out in 1996 I knew next to nothing about my Dad's family, other than that he had been orphaned at an early age. He had been dead 25 years, but my mother was still living aged 93. I chose to investigate Dad's side and have made some considerable progress. I didn't ask my Mum that much at the time, and when I did later she was not always giving the same answers, relationships varied etc. as did names of people in old photos. She died aged 99, and I regret that I did not ask her detailed questions about her family when I first started out researching. My strong advice to newcomers If you have an elderly relative get as much information from them as quickly as possible.Information about someone who has already died  is not going to change materially in the future.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 14 June 09 12:26 BST (UK) »
My Grandfather told me he was related to Sir Daniel Gooch the famous train man.  Despite extensive research of the Gooch family back to 1670 I have not found a connection though we do have a Daniel Gooch.  He could be from one of the branches I can not trace.

He also told me that one of my Grandmother's ancestors was at the battle of Waterloo.  Now this was a bit correct.  The connection goes back to the 1300s when the de Gruchy family split.  One brother went to France and the other to Jersey.  The French man didn't turn up at the battle of Waterloo so he helped us win.  My family were the Jersey lot.

I didn't get any other information from any relatives.

Sylviaann
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 14 June 09 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have learned to check things thoroughly in genealogy now. I am a sceptical person which in a way is good as it makes me check things but I think I sometimes over check things.

Ben
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 14 June 09 15:43 BST (UK) »
Check and recheck is the only way to be fairly certain, but which standard of proof should be use; that used in civil law, i.e. on the balance of probability; or that used in criminal law, i.e beyond a reasonable doubt?